Genesis vs Dream vs F3

Within the next few years, the 3 top lines in the cruise industry are releasing the next generation of ships, but which one do you guys think will be the best? Genesis, Dream, or F3?

They are really not competing with each other.

Neither releases much about their onboard amenities and activities, so we really don't know.

Plus, I believe at least the F3 will not be in Genesis Class. At 150,000 she offers space more like the Freedom Class.

She sure is one ugly puppy

ncl_f3_3.jpg

ncl_f3_2.jpg

And the Carnival Dream and Magic will be more like the Voyager Class, clocking in at 130,000.

They are really not competing with each other.

Neither releases much about their onboard amenities and activities, so we really don't know.

Plus, I believe at least the F3 will not be in Genesis Class. At 150,000 she offers space more like the Freedom Class.

She sure is one ugly puppy

One more41.jpg

41.jpg.b518b20b37327752d241e703191585f0.jpg

Agree with FLCruiser64...that F3 NCL ship is scuttlebutt ugly. NCL ships aren't the most attractive vessels....no matter how much graffiti they try to throw at the hull, lol.

I anticipate the Carnival Freedom will be no-where near as innovative as Genesis. And that tacky interior designer they have will further slaughter cruise industry design practices with his take on how a vacation environment is created.

Just my opinion... :D

Cheers!

Gigglewolf O'Seas

:p

We have the last TB hospital in the US in a town near my home. Those cruise ships look just like that hospital which was built in the 1950s. All I can think of is if that hospital was floating on the high seas.

I so totally agree with Giggle Wolf's assessment of Carnival's interior design... what I call "Cheap Theme Park Chic".

One more41.jpg

1: FL_Cruiser, I am talking about all of the new generation ships in general. I know that they have different weight classes, but I am talking about comparing them to other, not other ships with similar weight.

2: Is that a picture of F3?

One more41.jpg

HIDEOUS!!! :eek: Wow. Ships are not meant to be built like boxes... which is a main reason I find the Carnival Fantasy class ships so ugly... I can't shake the image of a shoebox with a whale tail stuck in the top.

That said, I find the newer Carnival ships (from the exterior at least) very attractive, especially the new Splendor. Still though, no ships are more attractive from the RCI ships with their curvature.

1: FL_Cruiser, I am talking about all of the new generation ships in general. I know that they have different weight classes, but I am talking about comparing them to other, not other ships with similar weight.

2: Is that a picture of F3?

1.) Oh OK. I thought you were comparing the Genesis to the F3 to the Dream and Magic.

The pictures were initially on the website of Aker Yards. But you know how fast the internet works. Before anybody at Aker realized the mistake and took them down the pics were already downloaded hundreds of times.

Aker Yard link

Pictures are not even available on the F3 website. One rumor that the F3 is supposed to have only balcony state rooms is squished on that site.

NCL F3 website

Renderings are something funny. I don't even think the renderings of the Genesis are accurate. On those renderings there is no Promenade Deck yet it is confirmed that there will be a promenade deck which will be hidden by the life boats (makes sense, how do you get into a life boat otherwise unless you have very unique access doors to the lifeboats).

In regards to competition? I think Carnival and Royal Caribbean will continue to compete with land based resorts and amusement parks. The Dream and magic will be in competition to the Freedom Class and Voyager Class.

Unless Carnival has something up their sleeves in regards to innovation Royal's Freedom and Voyager Class will have a leg up. One of the great things on Royal is the passenger distribution. You very rarely feel that you are with 3000 or 4000 other people on the ship. Carnival always had an inferior design in deck space usage. One of the reasons is that Carnival is using one main designer who is basically using the same theme across the fleet. While some areas may change here and there it is basically build out of the same pen.

Royal Caribbean is using multiple designers, incorporating several ideas into one grand scheme. I think it is a huge advantage when you have a design which evolved out of multiple brains.

The Genesis Class will be a stand alone for many years though. There is no other cruise line who will compete with that ship for additional 'vacationers'.

NCL F3? Well Norwegian is in competition with everybody, even with itself. They are limping every which way and with out that multi-billion dollars cash infusion from Apollo Management, Star Cruises (the other owner) would have probably already closed NCL's doors.

NCL failed already with their short Bahamas cruises and with NCL A. The F3 is the last push. I think it will be a failure though. If the numbers of the F3 are correct the passenger/space ratio will be much less than with the competition.

4,700 passengers on a 150,000 ton ship?

The Freedom i.e. is listed at 3,600 with a tonnage of 160,000.

F3 = sardine can

I forsee for NCL to go belly up eventually. The F3 will be the final nail in the coffin. Adia in Germany is a thriving cruise company in Europe. I could see them buying NCL out of Star Cruises (Adia's Club Med style cruising fits NCL's freestyle to a T) or Star Cruises will buy Adia and merge NCL with Adia.

So, to summarize my prognosis:

Genesis will be a stand alone class, no competition.

Dream and Magic will compete with the Freedom Class and Voyager Class. This will keep Carnival toe to toe with Royal Caribbean in the battle for the land based vacationers.

F3 will be the "good bye" present for NCL. In less than 10 years NCL will not exist anymore.

:D

2.) as I said: it is a rendering which was quickly taken down by Aker Yards. Star Cruises/Apollo and Aker Yards are even more secretive about the F3 project than they were with the Genesis project. Take a rendering for what it is and always with an open mind. Changes can always and will always happen.

That rendering, if that's what it might look like, is awful. The ship doesn't even look like a ship, and there's nothing more than a square, box shaped ship.

I do agree that with that many passengers , the F3 will be like a sardine can. I can see NCL going under in the future, as they are the ones who start things to try to get more people to sail, like they are desperate.

That rendering, if that's what it might look like, is awful. The ship doesn't even look like a ship, and there's nothing more than a square, box shaped ship.

I do agree that with that many passengers , the F3 will be like a sardine can. I can see NCL going under in the future, as they are the ones who start things to try to get more people to sail, like they are desperate.

It is of course my opinion only. But the desperate attempt of NCL A hoping that people will jump on the opportunity for Hawaii sailings out of Hawaii backfired.

They are selling of those ships rather quickly. It is even rumored that the Pride will go to RCI for their Pullmantur or TUI/RCI fleet.

I think that it's too early too tell what the final product will be like on any of the three ships. The new NCL F3 will be a packed ship though for the size. Also I do not like those cabins at all. The bathroom configurations are not something that I would like at all. Also the cabins are small and NCL is trying to give the illusion of a larger cabin. If that is what the final ship will look like then it will take the "butt ugly" award away from the Pride of America.

I think that it's too early too tell what the final product will be like on any of the three ships. The new NCL F3 will be a packed ship though for the size. Also I do not like those cabins at all. The bathroom configurations are not something that I would like at all. Also the cabins are small and NCL is trying to give the illusion of a larger cabin. If that is what the final ship will look like then it will take the "butt ugly" award away from the Pride of America.

LMAO

Well said. :D

I agree, everything about the F3 is kind of horrible. The staterooms look REALLY cramped, and just plain wacky. I also don't like the idea of stepping out of the shower, only to have the door opened upon you.

I know Celebrity Solstice class isn't really in direct competition with the new builds the OP mentioned, but I am loving this new class of ship.

Every line has it's loyal customers, NCL does. While I think NCL has not been running smooth since they were purchased by STAR they have not been doing horrible either, yes there have been failures like NCLA, but they will continue to exist. That said, the "ugly duckling" surprisingly is the last standing of the NCLA ships has proven to be very popular. NCLA still stand, and their legs are called "Freestyle Cruising", which is a very innovative way of cruising, some polishing still needed; and this is also the reason why a multi-billion dollar investment company has set their eyes on them and it wont be long before Apollo gains full ownership of NCL which had been running with the STAR mentality which works great for STAR's market but not here. With NCL I have come to believe that ships don't make cruise lines, ideas do, that's why Carnival is so $productive$, RCI innovative and NCL is just NCL.:cool: Maybe some of you don't know this but Ted Arison, founder of Carnival was also the founder of NCL along with Knut Kloster he put the idea, Knut put the ship.

I don't think it is fair comparing these ships as I don't think it's fair comparing the three lines, yes there is competition among the three but each line certainly has their own qualities and their own crowd, competition basically comes to first time cruisers, who will eventually find their line and settle.

I agree, everything about the F3 is kind of horrible. The staterooms look REALLY cramped, and just plain wacky. I also don't like the idea of stepping out of the shower, only to have the door opened upon you.

I know Celebrity Solstice class isn't really in direct competition with the new builds the OP mentioned, but I am loving this new class of ship.

I think the Solstice deserves to be part of this conversation. It has the same level of new giant class status as these other ships. It's also the first ship to make me look at a Celebrity cruise (my grandma prefers Celebrity, I like Royal Caribbean). It seems to be just as big a deal as these others the only difference is that it is almost ready wile these other ships are still off in the distance.

PS: Bathroom is divided by a curtain with the only entrance in the BR part. Who would even think of doing this? Maybe this is another way to break up that mundane cruise experience, lol.

Archived