Sail Away Souvenir Glasses

Okay, I'm about to sound REALLY cheap...but this is the $$$ Saving Tip thread. :D

I know I read somewhere on CC boards about keeping an eye out for souvenier glasses left on deck after the sail away party. I specifically remember the poster refering to them as "free souvenirs."

Having been to only one sail away party, and not a drinker, how do you know what is an abandoned souvenir glass versus a glass that will be picked up by the staff? I don't want to get arrested for stealing. :eek:

Please don't attack me. I just don't want to see a good souvenir be thrown in the trash can. :)

Okay, I'm about to sound REALLY cheap...but this is the $$$ Saving Tip thread. :D

I know I read somewhere on CC boards about keeping an eye out for souvenier glasses left on deck after the sail away party. I specifically remember the poster refering to them as "free souvenirs."

Having been to only one sail away party, and not a drinker, how do you know what is an abandoned souvenir glass versus a glass that will be picked up by the staff? I don't want to get arrested for stealing. :eek:

Please don't attack me. I just don't want to see a good souvenir be thrown in the trash can. :)

On Carnival, the souvenir glass is neon colored and is a hard plastic. Regular drinks ordered without a souvenir glass come in regular throw away plastic cups.

You'll most likely see them laying all over the place. And waiters usually don't pick them up too fast as they think someone may be coming back for them. I think that on most line, they are neon colored, tall and hard plastic (you can't see through them). You are welcome to pick them up, but be sure that someone has abandoned them first! :D

What you're suggesting is simply recycling and saving more plastic-bearing trees to live another day. Go for it!

Yes, there are souvenir glasses left around but I think if people knew how much they paid for those glasses, they wouldn't leave them lying around!

I have found that most of those 'sail away' drinks don't have much alcohol in them anyway so I never buy them anymore.

I will buy a nice souvenir coffee mug though.

I was told that to save money, you could tell the bartender to NOT give you the souvenir cup (especially on the first sailaway cruise), but I tried that. He nodded, but I ended up with the souvenir cup anyway. I didn't know what to do, so I kept it and didn't ask him. What happened there? I'll try again next time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a big drinker, especially at the prices they charge! My BFF and I did bring some special "water" on board. (It was so neat; her stepfather kept the seal on it and everything.)

Anyway, I didn't find one at the sail away party. However, I told my friend about this post, and we kept our eyes open all week. We ended up with six Carnival souvenir cups! Fantastic!

Way to go AR Magnolia! I'm so glad this idea was successful for someone--and I'm glad to know I'm not the only thrifty souvenier "shopper." :D

I'm going to definitely keep my eyes open on our cruise. (Haven't told my hubby about this yet. He'll probably pretend he doesn't know me. :rolleyes: )

Keep those success stories coming. :D

Sheri

Archived