Another Deep Sea Fishing Question...

KyGolden08

DH & I are looking to go out in late September. Which do you prefer to do, book through the cruise ship or on your own? Money isn't the big factor for us, fun is. When we usually go out in the Gulf we take the 40-60 passenger boats and have a great time but just want to get everyones input before we make a decision. Thanks in advance for the help!

DH & I are looking to go out in late September. Which do you prefer to do, book through the cruise ship or on your own? Money isn't the big factor for us, fun is. When we usually go out in the Gulf we take the 40-60 passenger boats and have a great time but just want to get everyones input before we make a decision. Thanks in advance for the help!

Fishing is fun, generally speaking; being with others is optional. If you get on the collective fishing boats sold by the cruise lines you will be sharing catches with five or six other persons. If your party takes a private charter you enjoy all of whatever "luck" you have fishing that day.

It's sort of a personal choice. Some folks want to share experiences with other people, even strangers and others want to catch all the fish themselves and socializing they save for after fishing.

I would reccomend fishingcozumel dot net. Several people reccomend them.

Are you planniing on bottom fishing or sports fishing?

For sports fishing I'd say skip the cruise sponsored stuff and do some research and book a charter for a smaller party. Perhaps see if you can find a few others interested on role calls to try and land the big one!

If its all about the crowd and and fun of it, then what could be more fun then going out with a bunch of your shipmates :D and book it thru the boat

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and in-laws booked privately on our last trip to Cozumel. We chartered with Tres Hermanos, an outfit that operates just outside of town on the island. This tour was booked in 2006 when we sailed on Carnival Miracle.

I can honestly say this was the best fishing trip I have ever had. While things started off slowly we did catch glimpses of jumping sailfish and even spotted a huge sea turtle. By the end of the day all four of us had caught something different. I landed a nice little bonita, and I stress little. It only weighed a couple of pounds at most. My father-in-law caught a pretty fair sized barracuda. My wife landed the most gorgeous mahi mahi I have ever seen while my mother-in-law caught the biggest fish on the day, a large wahoo.

Throughout the trip our fishing guide Carlos expertly manned the lines, setting the hooks before turning the reeling over to us. The weather was perfect to be out on the water and the ice-cold Sol beer didn't hurt at all. Indeed, every time I opened a bottle we got a bite. Maybe there is magic in those bottles....

Anyway, just try a search for Tres Hermanos. Not only were the boats and gear well maintained, the crew was very professional and thoroughly deserving of a tip at the end of the ride. Since our trip it appears they are actually set up to book using Paypal. Not having to cart around a fistful of cash would definitely be a bonus. In fact, we are considering booking through them again on our next cruise in January.

If money isn't a factor definitely charter your own boat. Cozumel is one of hubby's favorite places to fish. We've done plenty of land trips there and he always charters his own. If you ask me who he used I can't remember but we gathered info from fishingcozumel . net and googled fishing charters and he made calls.

I would reccomend fishingcozumel dot net. Several people reccomend them.

I would definately do an independent over a ship excursion. Cozumel is a very safe port and extremely tourist friendly.

I second Ken recommendation. Jeff just returned and wrote a wonderful reference. They run a great operation.

Hello,

I would go Private, no sense in sharing lines.

Here is a link to a quick review ;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14155067#post14155067

Archived