2 Days In FLL

zurmoly

To those in the know. We have two days precruise in Feb. Staying at the Sheraton and if we do not hook up with our niece, will rent a car. What are your suggestions for fun things to do? (carting a 16 year old with us). Thanks ahead!

My husband's first suggestion was sitting on the beach with a margarita. It is a great beach. They have all the watersports you could want as well. I love to walk the beach ... you can walk forever. You didn't mention if the 16 year old is a girl or boy. A girl would likely enjoy some time on Las Olas....lots of fun shops and great restaurants. If you like to shop, Sawgrass Mills is great for an afternoon, too. If you've never done an airboat ride in the everglades, that's an option.

What do you like to do? There are lots of great places to eat within a short drive. I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions as well! :)

Hi Z:).....for the evening?...well, that sort of has to do with how late you plan on eating dinner.....
Sometimes dinner can be "an event".....as in, not eating till 7:30-8:00...and where you are going.....it can take up the entire evening in itself!...now, with a 16 year old not sure if you plan on going earlier than that or not!

hi Capt:)...oh that is a good idea!!

Or Z...you could go to Benihana....Japanese Steakhouse....you sit at a table with other folks and they cook the dinner at your table...that is really fun too:D

Can't count on beach in February. We were in Florida last January and daytime temperature was in 60s. We wore jackets. Try the water taxe in FLL. You can ride all day for $5 per person. Great views of mansions and multi million dollar boats. Swimming Hall of Fame is right along the beach near 17th street. My two girls were swimmers and we all enjoyed this. Also, see if you can visit the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. Supposedly, this is Mr. Marriott's favorite hotel. Never did it but the Everglades airboat ride sounds great.

All your replys are great! Actually, my uncle took photos in the everglades for Life magazine many years ago. He had his own airboat and I spent many great times in the gades with him. MiaKia, are they online?

Giorgi-one, The one and only time I was at the Marriott Harbor Beach, so was Bill Marriott. You should have seen all the employees falling all over themselves. Took a photo with him, standing in front of the big photo of him in the lobby.

I've done Mass - FL several times...

For the drive, I would NOT follow the AAA suggested route via greater NYC - Jersey - Philadelphia - Baltimore - D.C. The incrementally shorter distance is MORE than overcome by the exhaustion of the traffic and the time consumed on the NJ Turnpike (a slow moving parking lot) and the D.C. beltway. Much nicer scenery and easier routes are 87 or 84 to 81 then down the Shennandoah to 77 in the Carolinas back out to 95 - this avoids enormous aggravation. If time permits, a jog over to St. Augustine and a run down the beaches past Ft. Matanzas (a worthy stop) south of Jacksonville will provide some historically significant country side and beaches while earlier avoiding much cengested megalopolis.

Archived