Cruise Insurance..What does it actually cover?

luvmygirlz

No, you are going to have to read your policies yourself. No one could possibly tell you exactly what your cruise insurance covers; there are many different types of policies.

If you can't understand it, purchase through an agent who can walk you through it.

It is very important to read your own policy, as coverage and limits are different from policy to policy. In general, most of them cover travel cancellation due to illness, accident or injury and trip delays due to airline delays or other common carrier problems. They all have limitations, however, so it is important that your understand your own policy, particularly limits relating to current health conditions.

And read some of the definitions as they vary between companies as well. An example is: What is a "travel delay" that could mean 6 hours, 8 hours, etc. Read your specific policy. You must get a copy of the policy so you can review it during what is called a "free-look" period. If you don't like it you must be able to get a full refund.

Or you can check out theinsurancestore.com.

Remember not to just look at the "highlights" of a policy on these 2 sites mentioned. You really need to look at the entire policy to find the details that will determine specifics. You really shouldn't be buying insurance without knowing what it covers. :confused: If you buy from the TA, it generally is a pretty basic policy. You may need different coverages than you get in a basic policy. Do your research before you buy it next time. Otherwise you might just be wasting your money.

Or you can check out theinsurancestore.com.

Remember not to just look at the "highlights" of a policy on these 2 sites mentioned. You really need to look at the entire policy to find the details that will determine specifics. You really shouldn't be buying insurance without knowing what it covers. :confused: If you buy from the TA, it generally is a pretty basic policy. You may need different coverages than you get in a basic policy. Do your research before you buy it next time. Otherwise you might just be wasting your money.

Hi eandj,

Did you mean www.tripinsurancestore.com ?

Another reason you should be using a good TA. The cruise insurance that the cruise line sells you and the kind of travel insurance that most good TA's would sell you is very different. A good TA, not one of these mass market "Travel Agencies" but one that will offer you lower than cruise line prices and LOTS of personal service. My TA took the time on my first cruise to explain all of the differences in the insurances I could get, I would never travel without it. She always discounts the cruise fare from what the cruise line sells it for, with the exception of the cruise lines that do not allow discounting. She is a wonderful TA, lots of personal service and available to me 24-7. PLUS my cruises always cost less than I can buy them for myself - I can't lose!

Thanks for the responses!

I looked at the sites recommended. Do you usually by your insurance from the cruise company when you book your cruise or do you get coverage on your own from one of these companies? If you get it yourself, does anyone recommend one over another?

Thanks again!

It really depends on the specific needs of your travelling party as to what policy is best for you and your group, sometimes the cruise insurance plan is better, sometimes not, it just depends on all the factors of age, health, coverage limits.

Steve and the folks at tripinsurancestore have narrowed the policies down to the best ones--they don't sell the entire list found at insuremytrip; so if you go with them you know you will be dealing with a top-notch supplier.

First thing I did was verify with my ehalth insurance provider, what coverages were when I was out of the country. Some do and some don't. Mine was obviously out-of-network so my coverage was cut in half, but had coverage if vacation was less than 30 days.

That allowed me skimp a bit on the medical part, keep in line with evac costs and buy what I need, not the worse case scenario thus keeping my premium down. I have found trip insurance stores website to be a tad easier to use and reseach what's covered and what's not. Here is the link to there what is covered page.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/3/what-is-covered.shtml

Archived