Best TIP I have learned from reading CC NCL boards

Guest pcreek

Helpful Hints

Below is a list of things I always take with me on a cruise - cruising a lot in recent years I have developed this list to share with other cruisers - many of the things on the list have been things other seasoned cruisers have shared with me - so here goes as it is time to pack and get ready to GO

Things we take and actually used:

-highlight pen (used to mark the daily activity paper that is given each day on the ship- marking each day is a way you can just quickly find what you have decided to do each day )

-bottle water (small sizes)

-corkscrew for wine drinkers and wine stoppers too!

-can drinks i.e. coca cola - sprite etc

(for those flying in you might want to wait and get these in Charleston - we usually take a duffel type bag or extra suitcase - put the case of can drinks - bottle water and wrapped paper/old towels around them and checked them at the port - the extra suitcase/bag comes in handy at the end of cruise - use for dirty clothes or purchases)...we also have packed in cardboard boxes and it works great...

-gifts for the dining room staff and room steward for any holiday cruise - just a small gift however...

-seasick medications - I would suggest taking one tablet the day you get on the ship

then maybe 1/2 tablet each day just to make sure you don't get seasick

-throw away cameras(if you use them) - they are expensive once onboard ship

-when you are boarding the ship - the photographer will take a picture of you in an archway type prop - take your purses/carry ons etc. and put to the side out of sight so if you like the picture it will not be cluttered looking :)

-extra plastic (cheapo) hangers - just put anywhere you have room in your suitcase -

you will use them I bet!!!

-SUN_SCREEN

-electrical extension cord (usually only one outlet in cabin )

-alarm clock( well not sure if I want to suggest this one)

-if inside cabin take a night light

-duct tape or yarn etc (use to mark your suitcases - easy to locate at pier)

lots of uses for duct tape

-Band-Aids (blisters from new sandals)

-sewing kit

-static guard

-wrinkle free spray

-steamer for clothes I have one and it is small (my DIL/Son gave to me )

-Febreeze spray (used for air fresher too)love this one .

-Freedom Bag ( pack all your carry on and it is great!!!) I LOVE MINE

-ziplock bags - assorted size - I promise you will use them :)

-extra flat (empty)duffel bag in suitcase to bring back "extra stuff"

-in carry on bag (one you do not check) - include medications - jewelry - cruise

documents - birth certificates/passport - any other valuables (camera etc.)

complete your document papers before you get to the port and have your bag tags on your suitcases before you leave home

-medications

-bring a credit card from a local department store to use exclusively for the safe in the room - this way you always remember which card you used to open/lock the safe - it is not recommended to use one with a high limit ( a gasoline card is good one too)

-I also suggest ordering room service to get cookies, fruit, brownies etc that you can keep in the cabin (in ziplock bags) - you always will have something to snack on when you just want to nibble -- also you can order other things from room service that is not on the list in the book - just ask them - we take some things like fruit with us when we are in port - you never know when a banana/apple might be your lifesaver!! (some ports however do not allow you to take fruit on land)

If you order room service breakfast - request like coffee for 4-6 people - you will get enough to have a least 2 cups each that way - always tell them if you want extra sweet and low - sugar too - they don't always automatically include enough to go around -- we usually order cereal (not on list ) and ask for two cartons of milk - can use for creamer that way --

You can order munchies too - we usually ask for say 2 orders of potato chips as an example and do not get the sandwiches that go with it - we store in (you know already) ziplock bags

CABIN -- when you go to your cabin and your beds are not together (they are usually set up as two twins - ask the cabin steward to set them up as a queen/king - they will be glad to do it - also ask them to put king size sheets not twins on the bed.

If you like extra pillows - ask the first night - or extra quilts etc - if you want more towels - tell the steward to keep x-numbers of large towels at all time in your cabin - he will gladly do it for you - also if you want ice at all times - tell him to keep ice bucket full

-Pencil holder plastic folder thingy(with a zipper)....I use to keep my many receipts in and then I do not have them scattered all over the cabin drawers...easy to store in one of those and they bend easily to put in the safe if they have CC # on any receipt...

check your account frequently via the option on your in cabin TV.(not sure if you can do this on all ships)...(last two cruises we had a few errors ...better to get any errors corrected before the last day of cruise)

-share cabin numbers with others in your group - as it makes it easy to call each other -keep the numbers in your billfold/purse that you keep with you at all times

Just curious since this is my first cruise. I found one at the dollar store and also found an over the door small plastic shoe like holder. It was near the shower things. I have really appreciated the hints that you have all given. Great help. Also, do they have a hairdryer or do we need to bring one.

Teresa:)

1particularharbor you shared a lot of good tips. In fact I have read some really great tips on here..

One thing about the ziplock bags that I learned the hard way is.. ANYTHING liquid and ANYTHING that I want to make sure doesn't get near liquid, I put in ziplock bags BEFORE I leave the house as I am packing. I.E. toothpaste, mouthwash, etc and extra jewelry - watches, jewels that might be extra sensative to certain chemicals, etc. That way if something leaks you have the ziplock bag it is in to hopefully protect it from going all over every thing. If it does escape its ziplock bag, then you have the valueable stuff protected in their ziplock bags.

I am sure this is a no brainer, but we buy cheap "beach shoes/aqua shoes". not for sure what they are called. But they are worn actually in the water. We find them like at target for $10.00 a pair. We use them and then throw them away before we come home. Our bathing suits we have gallon ziplock bags for.

OH MY GOSH..Almost forgot my most important tip.. again.. learned the hard way...

If you are planning a cruise (well.. any trip really) and it is going to be where you will actually will be in a different climate than the one you are leaving back home, be sure the season before to check that you have all of the clothes, etc you need for the trip. What I mean is this.. (sorry I am having such a hard time saying it..lol)..

Last November we took a Mexican Riveria cruise. November in Texas is late fall/winter. When we went to look for beach shoes/aqua shoes, guess what.. NONE TO BE FOUND.. lol.. Duh.... right?? I can't remember where we ended up finding them, but we paid a lot more than we normally would have if we had thought ahead and bought them in the summer time.

And I am sorry.. honestly.. this is the biggest tip of all.. someone already said it.. and I want to repeat it. This is YOUR vacation.. and it is going to be what YOU make of it. Don't worry about the small stuff. You worked hard for this or planned a long time for this, etc. Enjoy it. Don't let anyone else ruin it for you.

I like to bring my small CD player but have to remember to pack an extension cord so I can place it near my balcony door to enjoy listening to while sipping our wine before dinner. I wish cruiseships had a clock radio with CD player so I could leave mine home.

It may not seem like much, but I love the BAGS program. We travel so far and I really get tired of carrying the luggage around. Also the BOA Rewards program---can't be beat has to be the best one out there.

One last thing. We also bring some bubble wrap and the 2 gallon size zip locks to pack our purchased liquor in. Never had a broken bottle yet!

Retiredonthesea

Forgot one other tip I have learned off the boards..

For tipping the bulter, extra tips for the room stewards, etc, I am going to carry small thank you cards with me this time and include the tips in with a brief note saying thank you for making our vacation so wonderful.

Of course, if they havent.. they wont get a note or a tip.. HEHEHE

NCL-specific tip: Free laundry rooms. Take your own soap and dryer sheets.

What I'm looking forward to in two weeks: Going into main dining room for first meal instead of cafeteria. Just learned about that.

General tip: Forget trying to take all the little things suggested and pack light!!! :D

I always carry my travel journal with me and take 10 or 15 minutes each evening or morning to write my travel experiences down. It is amazing when I go back 10 or 15 years and read notes regarding places I have visited!

Well here is a tip I have learned from experience rather than the boards but I think it is important...

Buy the spray suncreen. Last year at Great Stirrup Cay I decided I didn't need suncreen because I wasn't going to burn because "I am Italian" but I snorkled all day. The next day I had blisters all over my back and we pulled in Bermuda and I had to smear the liquid suncreen which was so painful all over my back. My reccomendation is buy the spray suncreen and no matter what ethnicity you are, use sunscreen, the sun burns lol.

Best 2 tips I have learned on this board:

1. NCL / BoA credit card

2. Bring lots of Crystal Light drink powder and 2 smallish water bottles (on any trip). Airport security? Empty the bottles (drink or pour into restroom), go through security. Once through, find a fountain and refill bottles and mix. No fountain in the gate area? Use a rest room sink. No ick or yuck factor, it's the same water as in the fountain.

Other stuff: Don't take an alarm clock, I use the alarm function of my cell phone. Use my iPod touch for my daily trip logs, then email them to myself. Once at home, copy the logs from the In-Box into my diary.

My favorite tip is to pack outfits on hangers and in dry cleaner bags. I usually put two outfits in one bag. The clothes don't get wrinkled and when we are onboard, it is so easy to unpack the suitcase and hang everything up. Also we are sure we have clothes that go together.

When we wear the clothes we then throw them into the foldup hamper that we bought at a flea market. The handle did come off the first time we used it, but it still works as a place for our dirty clothes.

When we are ready to pack up to come home, we just empty the hamper into one of the suitcases and use the other for the clean, hanging up clothes.

Enjoy your trip.

The thread has morphed away from NCL-specific tips but the best ones I've read here are to go to the dining room instead of the buffet on boarding, and to book the romance package for $79 -- a wonderful value.

We will be celebrating our 25th on the Dream this summer...what is the romance package? Any feedback on the Dream? Why are some calling it "nightmare?" I am fretting.

[

We will be celebrating our 25th on the Dream this summer...what is the romance package? Any feedback on the Dream? Why are some calling it "nightmare?" I am fretting.

The $79 romance package is ordered directly through NCL. Click here for more info.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=WeddingsRomance

As for all that "nightmare" stuff, take it with a grain of salt and don't fret. No cruise is perfect - but especially a 2 night cruise to nowhere. Lots of party-goers. The Dream was late getting to port from drydock, some provisions were not on board, workers tired, etc. I would not worry about your 7 night cruise on the Dream. We were on her a couple of years ago, and while an older ship, it was rather nice. :)

The thread has morphed away from NCL-specific tips but the best ones I've read here are to go to the dining room instead of the buffet on boarding, and to book the romance package for $79 -- a wonderful value.

icecreamy... one.. maybe two people said it was a nightmare.. most all others have said how great it is..

Go at your cruise as if it will be the best time of your life.. don't sweat the little things.. make the most of it. You will have a great time.

I thought the NCL Dream was a new ship; I guess I was wrong? Also, anyone know what the romance package is?

The Dream entered service in 1992, and amongst the eldest ships in NCL's fleet. The Majesty also entered service in 1992.

Star Cruises bought NCL in 2000. It was Star Cruises that influenced NCL to introduce Freestyle Cruising.

The Star and Sun entered service in 2001, and are the first NCL ships built with NCL's branded Freestyle Cruising in mind.

Between the Dream-Majesty duo and Star-Sun duo;

(1) The Sky entered service in 1999, months before Star Cruises bought NCL.

(2) The Spirit entered service for Star Cruises in 1998, although not joining NCL's fleet unto 2004. The Spirit was built for Star Cruise's version of "Freestyle Cruising", and meets NCL's version of "Freestyle Cruising" well.

So, the Dream and Majesty are the oldest ships in NCL's fleet, and are the worse at providing NCL's brand of Freestyle Cruising, mainly because they weren't built for it.

• Administrators
I thought the NCL Dream was a new ship; I guess I was wrong? Also, anyone know what the romance package is?

The Dream, when she was the Dreamward, was my first NCL ship, back in 199<mumble> so she's not new. :) I like her a lot, but as Ron says she wasn't purpose-built for freestyle, so there are some inherent difficulties there. I agree with OceanDreaming2, above. I think the "nightmare" post you mentioned was mostly due to the recipients being booked on a 2 night cruise to nowhere (which only left 2 nights for the Bistro reservation instead of 7 possible nights, for example), and the Dream apparently being late getting away from drydock, which left the staff quite limited in what they could manage in such a short time.

That post is the only one I recall seeing in which the author had a complete conniption about this package; most people here have either had no problem and really like it (per many threads here praising this package and the value it represents), or there have been minor issues here and there which seem to have been resolved onboard.

Here's a link for more information on the package -- http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html;jsessionid=Ly2jKhQWBWb9D5JChwLYY1zV6BB5ypJD!-1622029606?pageId=BonVoyageGifts#romance

Hope you have a great cruise!

Hi,

Does one have to make the dinner reservations in the no charge restaurants too? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Some Specialty dining rooms are no charge but still require (or recommend) reservations. In certain instances, even the main rooms will take reservations.

Now for my favorite tip:

Those carpet fish swim toward the front of the ship! I like this tip cause sometimes, when getting of an elevator I have no idea which way I'm facing.

Uh, oh. The Dawn doesn't have those fishies. Hope you don't get lost.

OH CRAP! I might be wandering the hallways for the entire cruise. But wait, if I carry around my white cane (for the White Hot Party) all the time, someone will always give me directions :D

Archived