Mom is trying my patience!

Ta421sBtrHalf

When we went to the caribbean last Aug. we only needed our birth certs. and driver lic. I did not need to bring our marriage cert. because we were traveling together ( we said phooey and got our passports) but this Dec. I am going on a ladies cruise and the other 4 ladies who dont have their passport have to bring all three docs. We were told that names on birth cert. and driver lic. must match, or we need the third doc to explain why, passports give us women more freedom too! :)

LauraB - Re: your mom and the friends at the senior center -- Same thing happened here, but after taking several brochures to the center, my mother ended up going with 7 of her friends. (They had T-shirts that said "Golden Girls"). They had a ball --always first row at the shows, sat together at bingo, did the "chicken dance", and I won't even tell you the fun they had at dinner with the young waiters! We hardly saw her because she was so busy with the 7 other first-time cruisers. My mother got so hooked on cruising that this spring I got a picture of her on a camel that she met while on a Greece and Egypt cruise tour (mom turns 80 next May.)

Maybe your mom can find a friend or two to go along. Hope you can change her mind. Good Luck.

If your mother cannot board, it will be her problem, not yours. Ask to be reimbursed for the cruise she could not take when you return from your cruise.

Take the weight off your shoulders and put in on hers. It's her issue and her choice. She's only 52, not 92.

Been dealing with a similar situation for over 40 years. Sometimes, ya just gotta do the "tough love" thing. Yes, she may be depressed. Mom isn't going to change, believe me. :eek:

Good luck.

Mom just may be one of those folks who puts things off till the last moment. For reasons of her own....nothing to do with you. I sometimes do that myself...no, not depressed, just always think I can squeeze in just one more thing and then get overwhelmed and go into whirlwind crisis mode and get it done at the last minute. Am working on this tendancy, but still had to get my passport expedited:o .

Had to pay 60$ extra, and it came in 9 days, and I live in Alaska. Had a minute of panic at the post office when the agent would not take my DL because it had been re-issued on my bithday less than one year ago. Had to go get car registration, and someone to vouch for me. (actually two, my son who was with me, and a friend who happened to be at the Post Office.:) )And I had my state issued drivers license, birth certificate, SS card, credit cards, expired Student card, COSTCO card, checkbooks with name, all the mail I had just taken from PO box, etc. in my posession.

My son had a state id and his birth cert, but because his state id was more than one year old, it worked just fine.

Good luck, It'll work out.

She finally went! I called her the other day and she said while she was downtown she went into the office and was sooooo surprised how easy it was. I am like gee I told you it wasn't so hard. I was at AAA on Friday and they were telling us about the rumor that was going around about needing a passport as of January 1st as well. I am so glad that it will be a non-issue to the 4 of us.

I think women should keep their names! Why do we change our names anyway? It's incovenient and confusing. Ladies revolt!

LOL -- just thought I'd stir things up a little.

I wish my ex-wife would change her name to any thing but what it is now, same as mine arg.....

Ta: Glad your mom finally got her passport!!! Hope she has a great time -- hope you all do!

TahoeBob: hmmm.. since she won't change her name, maybe you should change yours! TahoeBob does have a flair to it, and it would definitely be a conversation starter.:)

Peace all, and happy cruising.

Marly

I took my Mom (79) on her first cruise last summer. You should have heard the excuses why she couldn't go...I'll get sick (they have a doctor on board), I won't like the food (ask for some crackers) I'll eat too much (don't) I' don't want to dance (and who said you had to) It will be too cold (stay inside), too hot (same), too rainy (same).

anyway we went...had a wonderful time. I actually remembered why I love my MOM..we had such a great time. hope you do too and MOM is wondering if she could come on our next cruise....tee hee

Archived