I think Carnival should freeze the price you pay. No more going back for reductions

Mine might go into other things - like affording a freaking tank of gas. The economy is tanking and it doesn't hurt to save money.

So after you purchase the gas and put it in your tank what do you do if you consider the price you paid too high? Ask for your money back? :confused:

As I said before...if you can't afford the price, then don't book. Carnival is not like E-bay, ya know. ;)

So after you purchase the gas and put it in your tank what do you do if you consider the price you paid too high? Ask for your money back? :confused:

As I said before...if you can't afford the price, then don't book. Carnival is not like E-bay, ya know. ;)

On ebay you bid on something and the price goes UP not down like is being discussed here. Some comparing a price reduction to ebay is like comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, I do consider the price of gas to be too high before and after I put it in my tank, but it's a necessary that we HAVE to use and must pay the price. Cruising is not a necessity and therefore comparing apples to oranges once again.

As long as the policy is in place, I'm going to use it. I'm not going to compare getting a better deal on a cruise with filling up a gas tank. If Carnival does away with the Policy I'm sure people would cancel and rebook if they were still outside of the 90 days.

On ebay you bid on something and the price goes UP not down like is being discussed here. Some comparing a price reduction to ebay is like comparing apples to oranges.

Beat me to it...

I booked my last few cruises far in advance to get specific cabins......it was at a rate that I was concerned about but could accept if nothing else became available.

Prior to making my reservations, I mentioned my concern to my CVS that these were straight up rates with no discounts being offered. He suggested that he would keep an eye on the bookings to gain Military, past guest or friend family.

I booked with the comfort of having this in mind. When all was said and done....the Military and friend and family saved us $2700. Do I feel bad or ashamed about it? NOPE!!!

Months after booking my airfare (I also book as far out as they will let me)............I noticed a $48 dollar/person reduction. An hour phone call with United got me 6 $48 dollar vouchers to be used within a year. Our family applied those to this years airline tickets for our Glory cruise..............yes, a cruise that was booked far in advance of any specials so that I could lock in the 9A corner cabins. Cabins that had the Military friend and family applied months after the initial booking.

Carnival gets what they want........a satisfied returning customer who doesn't feel the need to look at other cruise lines..........do I feel bad about it? NOPE!!

BTW, the week after I used those vouchers.........United instituted the $25 charge for the second bag. I wonder if the use of my vouchers caused them to do it...........hmmm NOPE!!

I guess we will play the game the way Carnival presents it. If they continue as they are at present a person would be a fool to not check on pricing to take advantage of pricing changes. If Carnival changes it to one price take it or leave it I'm sure we'll play that game also. But Carnival has set up this system, not us.

I disagree, we have already gotten $300.00 dollars off our cruise and we still have an OBC of $200.00. Hopefully by the time we sail I can get back what I just spent on an upgrade to a balcony.

Carnival is not like E-bay, ya know. ;)

Obviously you have never used ebay. As many others have said the price only goes up, not down. Ebay also doesnt have a price drop guarantee. Welcome to 1995.

I think if you're passing on significant price drops that you're crazy.

I was one of the people that bought an iPhone at $600 and then the price dropped to $400 3 months later. I didn't complain. Its simple economics and these things happen. However, when I was offered $100 of in store credit I didn't turn it down either. That'd be throwing money away.

Its the same in this situation. If I spend a lot on a cruise I'm just fine with that. That's what I save money for. However, if I have the opportunity to save some change and its worth my time, am I going to pass it up? No.

Having said that, I don't check very often and so far haven't found any price drops worth going after (10 pp? bleh.)

Now if you have so much money lying around that saving a few hundred bucks (more, on occasion) isn't worth it to you, then by all means, continue giving Carnival, et al, money that you don't have to. You're probably the ones that make the price drops possible for the rest of us.

Oh, and rest comfortably in your bed of $100 bills every night.

Your cheap fellow cruiser,

lc

LOL. Consumers of a product griping about the fact that the seller will give them a cheaper price after buying it. Do people like this actually exist because I've never met them in real life? This board has some ridiculous arguments, but this is one of the most ridiculous ones I've read. I guess it takes all kinds :rolleyes:

Ok Mr. Contradiction. You don't care about the price but you check the price every weak? See I do fall into the category you mentioned I pick my itinerary and my dates and I book it regardless of price and move on to planinng my next trip. I have 8 trips planned over 15 months I don't have time to jack around for $50. To each his own until Carnival gets smart and stops it.

Maybe if you checked the prices regularly, you'd be able to afford to have that 9th trip planned......;)

On the internets anyone can pretend to be anything. These folks are pretending today to be so rich they could careless about the price or the drop in price on a cruise.

What gives them away is a wealthy person is wealthy for a reason. They SAVE not spend money.

Not necessarily true about E-Bay.

You bid on what you want to pay. Carnival asks for a set price. If you can't afford it then you don't buy.

Carnival is not like an auction.

The fallacy of all of your arguments is that you don't comprehend that there is a business deal in place that works for both Carnival and its customers. You propose to change a business deal that is mutually beneficial to both parties in the deal by making it more advantageous to the seller. But, if the seller is put at a competitive disadvantage in making terms less consumer friendly, the seller loses business to its competitors. Perhaps a better analogy is return policies or guarantees offered by department stores or consumer electronics stores. If one store has a more favorable return policy or honors price cuts of competitors, that store offers the consumer more and it helps business. That may be a better analogy then eBay considering, as you rightly point out, bids are not retractable. But that's the way eBay works (and works well) and all parties understand that going in. If Carnival's deposits were non-refundable and didn't offer price reductions, most likely, I'd do business elsewhere. I like the way they do business now and, as a result, they will have done $12 to $13K in business with me the past three years (next one is Princess but still a Carnival company). I could very easily go back to RCI, HAL, NCL, etc. if Carnival dropped their current policies.

cruisecastle,

I make good money, but given that it takes thirty seconds to check the prices and I check once per week then two or three minutes to call and get the adjustment, I figure that with even a $50 per pax adjustment (x5 because there are five of us) that I'm making an hourly rate in excess of $1000 per hour by checking and receiving adjustments. What kind of waste is that? The only folks that I know who waste that kind of money have no clue what it actually takes to earn it in the first place. ;)

I also always book more than one year out. Perhaps you'd be happy if you knew I let them keep the interest they earn on my deposits?

There are those of us who book for the ship, cabin, and itinerary and not price. I'm one of those. I could care less what the booking price is and I'll be happy whether I receive a price drop or not.

What you said.

Couple of you need to read "The Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas Stanley and William Danko. Saving a hundred bucks here and a hundred bucks there is part of the philosophy that helped the majority of your average joes achieve that magical status. I manage another's money for a living and you bet I save him a hundred whenever I can - even though it may just be a drop in the bucket. Come down off your high horse folks. There is nothing wrong with being savings conscious. As has been said, "A billion here, a billion there and pretty soon you're talking about real money."

Also, I'm getting a whiff of troll here.

Not necessarily true about E-Bay.

You bid on what you want to pay. Carnival asks for a set price. If you can't afford it then you don't buy.

Carnival is not like an auction.

We get the message that you can AFFORD to take the cruise. So why don't you take any price reduction you are entitled to and donate it to your favorite charity.

I definitely want to save money! Tell me how----do you just go to Carnival's website choose your cruise then go to book it, then check the cabin class you booked and what the price is? Also how do you know when they are offering past guest, senior discount etc? I am not above saving money. I raised 8 kids and I want to tell you I have gone to many stores, many, many times and have gotten price reductions, especially at Christmas.

Ok Mr. Contradiction. You don't care about the price but you check the price every weak? See I do fall into the category you mentioned I pick my itinerary and my dates and I book it regardless of price and move on to planinng my next trip. I have 8 trips planned over 15 months I don't have time to jack around for $50. To each his own until Carnival gets smart and stops it.

Cruisecastle,

How can a man who can't be bothered to check for and receive price drops, take the time to start a thread on the subject? There's a contradiction if there ever was one. :)

I don't check every 'weak,' I check strongly on a weekly basis at about three to five months out. Prior to that I check maybe once a month.

You have eight trips planned and I have nine booked for next month for my friends and family on one cruise, and two for just my immediate family for the prior week. Luckily for me the cruise I have nine bookings for is the one mentioned in another thread today where there have been numerous price adjustments. :eek: :D I haven't posted in that thread, but I have received the price adjustments including two today that totaled $100 for each booking. That call to Carnival took me less than five minutes.

You plan, and I book. You plan and my deposits are in Carnival's account.

If you don't have time to 'jack around' for $50, then I'd say you must be busy collecting your government checks. :mad: ;) Those are the only folks I know who can't be bothered with saving money when the opportunity arises. Folks who can afford to act that way do not act that way.

LOL. Consumers of a product griping about the fact that the seller will give them a cheaper price after buying it. Do people like this actually exist because I've never met them in real life? This board has some ridiculous arguments, but this is one of the most ridiculous ones I've read. I guess it takes all kinds :rolleyes:

Cruise, J.D.,

Somewhere there's a castle where people live who can't be bothered with how much things cost. Huh, what? Wait a minute, that's a children's book. :eek:

You nailed it firmly; In real life, such people do not exist. :)

I honestly believe that people start taking it personally when you have a different opinion. Then either the flaming starts or people will say anything just to disagree with someone else. People made some good points for both arguments. I would ask can we agree to disagree but I know the answer to that one. Any good point you make is washed away when you make fun of the other person just to get your point across. I'm not talking about good natured teasing, I'm talking about being mean.

I honestly believe that people start taking it personally when you have a different opinion. Then either the flaming starts or people will say anything just to disagree with someone else. People made some good points for both arguments. I would ask can we agree to disagree but I know the answer to that one. Any good point you make is washed away when you make fun of the other person just to get your point across. I'm not talking about good natured teasing, I'm talking about being mean.

Mike91911,

I have agreed with CruiseCastle on many topics and I'm sure I'll agree with him on more as time goes by. I think it's safe to say for all of us that the one thing we agree on is that it's OK to disagree. This would be a very boring world if we agreed with each other all the time.

It's OK that I'm wrong or that CruiseCastle is wrong. Or that we're both right if that is possible. ;) :)

As for anything mean, I missed those parts. :p

I definitely want to save money! Tell me how----do you just go to Carnival's website choose your cruise then go to book it, then check the cabin class you booked and what the price is? Also how do you know when they are offering past guest, senior discount etc? I am not above saving money. I raised 8 kids and I want to tell you I have gone to many stores, many, many times and have gotten price reductions, especially at Christmas.

I'm sure there are lots of different ways to go about it. I use a travel site and put in the data for my sailing (including past guest, military, regional and any other discounts that might apply), check the rate that day and if I see a drop that might apply, I call my CVS immediately. I also check the boards.....fellow posters are good about putting the information here when they find a deal.

Cruisecastle,

How can a man who can't be bothered to check for and receive price drops, take the time to start a thread on the subject? There's a contradiction if there ever was one. :)

Absolutely priceless :D

Archived