I think Carnival should freeze the price you pay. No more going back for reductions

It's ridiculous how people try to get their agreed upon fare for $20 less or $100 less. Once you book a cruise that should be your price end of story. If it goes lower tough. I can't imagine how much time is wasted by Carnival fielding all of these ridiculous calls so someone can save a few bucks. Just relax and enjoy your cruise and quit worrying about trying to be the one that got the "best" price.

In order to stop people from canceling and rebooking they should also have a 30day wait period if you cancel a cruise before you can rebook on that same cruise.

This would be a huge cost savings for Carvival and in the end mean lower prices for the rest of us.

It's ridiculous how people try to get their agreed upon fare for $20 less or $100 less. Once you book a cruise that should be your price end of story. If it goes lower tough. I can't imagine how much time is wasted by Carnival fielding all of these ridiculous calls so someone can save a few bucks. Just relax and enjoy your cruise and quit worrying about trying to be the one that got the "best" price.

In order to stop people from canceling and rebooking they should also have a 30day wait period if you cancel a cruise before you can rebook on that same cruise.

This would be a huge cost savings for Carvival and in the end mean lower prices for the rest of us.

I agree. Other lines have already started doing this and it is just a matter of time until Carnival starts. When you book a cruise that is the price you should pay. Of course, if people want to insist on "price drops" it would only be fair if they had to pay price increases too. That would stop all of the whining about OBC, etc.

cruisecastle,

So the only advantage to booking early would be cabin choice? Past guest rates aren't even available until a few months before.

If the price of your cruise dropped by one thousand dollars between the time you booked it and the time you cruised, you wouldn't call and ask for an adjustment?

Agree. Maybe the lines should offer a set OBC for certain sailings and that's it. The most recent OBC thread should be an interesting read.

One of the lines has just instituted a 30% deposit policy for new bookings to keep the tire kickers away. Don't remember when that goes into effect though.

When I call for a price drop, my rep at Carnival has never indicated that it was an issue; he was happy to oblige. I never cancelled and rebooked; just asked if there was a promotion that I was eligible for. I don't find it ridiculous at all! If I find something at Lowe's (or any other store for that matter) and the price drops within a week of my purchase, they happily honor the cheaper price. It might be only $5 or $10 dollars, could be $50 or more, but all they ask for is my receipt to honor the difference. RCI also honored a regional promotion (that I caught wind of on these boards) for us as well and we ended up saving over $1,200. I don't whine if it does not apply to me, but certainly welcome price drops and OBC.....keeps me coming back to Carnival! :D

Agree. Maybe the lines should offer a set OBC for certain sailings and that's it. The most recent OBC thread should be an interesting read.

One of the lines has just instituted a 30% deposit policy for new bookings to keep the tire kickers away. Don't remember when that goes into effect though.

livtojump,

I don't agree with limits for OBC, but I would agree with a policy of OBC only instead of price adjustments. In other words, if the price goes down at any point, before of after final payment, the adjustment becomes OBC. As an incentive to cruise they could make the OBC non refundable.

As for percentage deposit, I think 30% is fair and wouldn't argue with 50%.

Sorry - I disagree.....

I booked our Freedom Europe cruise 1 year in advance. Cabin rate was $3,300. A few weeks ago, there was a "Senior Sale" and it went down $400 per person......that's $800.00!! Don't know about you, but $800 is a lot of money in my wallet. Now I think the real reason is, the US dollar sucks now and Europe isn't selling as well as it has in past years. They couldn't sell that cabin at $3,300 p/p. Maybe if it's $2,900 p/p more will book. There are still a lot of cabins available on our sailing.

If Carnival hadn't given me the credit (which they did with no problem) or let me cancel and rebook, I would have cancelled and started looking to see what kind of sale RCI or another line had. At worst, we would have gone next year and hope for a better exchange rate on the dollar.

I can guarantee that Carnival will get their $800 back in the bar bill, from shore excursion, photos bought and gift shop purchases. In all reality, they are letting me hold the $800 until I get on board and spend it there.....

Karen

cruisecastle,

So the only advantage to booking early would be cabin choice? Past guest rates aren't even available until a few months before.

If the price of your cruise dropped by one thousand dollars between the time you booked it and the time you cruised, you wouldn't call and ask for an adjustment?

I wouldn't know because I don't waste my time checking. I guess I never get a past guest rate because I always book more than 1 year out. I don't care becuase I'm happy with the price when I booked otherwise I wouldn't of booked it to begin with.

Sorry - I disagree.....

I booked our Freedom Europe cruise 1 year in advance. Cabin rate was $3,300. A few weeks ago, there was a "Senior Sale" and it went down $400 per person......that's $800.00!! Don't know about you, but $800 is a lot of money in my wallet. Now I think the real reason is, the US dollar sucks now and Europe isn't selling as well as it has in past years. They couldn't sell that cabin at $3,300 p/p. Maybe if it's $2,900 p/p more will book. There are still a lot of cabins available on our sailing.

If Carnival hadn't given me the credit (which they did with no problem) or let me cancel and rebook, I would have cancelled and started looking to see what kind of sale RCI or another line had. At worst, we would have gone next year and hope for a better exchange rate on the dollar.

I can guarantee that Carnival will get their $800 back in the bar bill, from shore excursion, photos bought and gift shop purchases. In all reality, they are letting me hold the $800 until I get on board and spend it there.....

Karen

You may have got a better deal but it had nothig gto do with the $. You pay for you cruise in $'s your excursions in $ so the $ has nothing to do with it. In fact, europe cruising demand is up for just that reason. It's far better than paying $600 anight in small hotels because of the falling $.

I wouldn't know because I don't waste my time checking. I guess I never get a past guest rate because I always book more than 1 year out. I don't care becuase I'm happy with the price when I booked otherwise I wouldn't of booked it to begin with.

cruisecastle,

I make good money, but given that it takes thirty seconds to check the prices and I check once per week then two or three minutes to call and get the adjustment, I figure that with even a $50 per pax adjustment (x5 because there are five of us) that I'm making an hourly rate in excess of $1000 per hour by checking and receiving adjustments. What kind of waste is that? The only folks that I know who waste that kind of money have no clue what it actually takes to earn it in the first place. ;)

I also always book more than one year out. Perhaps you'd be happy if you knew I let them keep the interest they earn on my deposits?

There are those of us who book for the ship, cabin, and itinerary and not price. I'm one of those. I could care less what the booking price is and I'll be happy whether I receive a price drop or not.

I may be happy with the price I book at also. I save a long time to take a cruise. If I can save even a $100 that's huge for me.

I agree with Paul. If I can save on anything I will. I have done price reductions and no one has ever batted an eyelash. My pvp seems happpy that he was able to save me money. He knows it means more commissions from me in future cruises for him.

cruisecastle,

I make good money, but given that it takes thirty seconds to check the prices and I check once per week then two or three minutes to call and get the adjustment, I figure that with even a $50 per pax adjustment (x5 because there are five of us) that I'm making an hourly rate in excess of $1000 per hour by checking and receiving adjustments. What kind of waste is that? The only folks that I know who waste that kind of money have no clue what it actually takes to earn it in the first place. ;)

I also always book more than one year out. Perhaps you'd be happy if you knew I let them keep the interest they earn on my deposits?

There are those of us who book for the ship, cabin, and itinerary and not price. I'm one of those. I could care less what the booking price is and I'll be happy whether I receive a price drop or not.

Ok Mr. Contradiction. You don't care about the price but you check the price every weak? See I do fall into the category you mentioned I pick my itinerary and my dates and I book it regardless of price and move on to planinng my next trip. I have 8 trips planned over 15 months I don't have time to jack around for $50. To each his own until Carnival gets smart and stops it.

I certainly think that as an early booker I would be entitled to any general price reductions.

I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist though if Carnival actually enforced the "new bookings only" fine print for any sales they run.

ETA: I would consider any MIL, PG or Senior rates becoming available after I booked as a price reduction not a sale.

While we're at it, after getting rid of lowering prices so Carnival can keep the price of the cruise lower (make more money) lets farm all the PVP work off to India so our prices remain even better. :rolleyes:

I think it's a good incentive to book with Carnival, to know you CAN book far in advance, and should the price drop, you'd get the difference. It's actually smart on Carnival's part, because it creates a 'safe' feeling for people to book early and know they'll get a good price. Or else, you'll have people not knowing whether they should book today, or maybe next week, because they don't know whether or not the price will go down.

If I had a choice between booking similar ships with similar itineraries, but one company will honor a lower price, should it become available, which one do you think people are more likely to do?

And as someone else said, how much time does it really take? The time it takes you to write ONE post on here, you can check to see what the rate is.

Ok Mr. Contradiction. You don't care about the price but you check the price every weak? See I do fall into the category you mentioned I pick my itinerary and my dates and I book it regardless of price and move on to planinng my next trip. I have 8 trips planned over 15 months I don't have time to jack around for $50. To each his own until Carnival gets smart and stops it.

There's a reason why they do it and they're not really stupid. As long as deposits are fully refundable, they want to stop people from asking for refunds and booking on other lines. Yes, somehow, it all makes sense and it makes customers feel good that they're getting the best deal and it gives them the sense that Carnival is "for them" and not "against them". I earn a good living. But I will look to save $50 to $100 when I can.

cruisecastle,

Couldn't agree more Paul; only way to insure we get those awesome corners!

There's a reason why they do it and they're not really stupid. As long as deposits are fully refundable, they want to stop people from asking for refunds and booking on other lines. Yes, somehow, it all makes sense and it makes customers feel good that they're getting the best deal and it gives them the sense that Carnival is "for them" and not "against them". I earn a good living. But I will look to save $50 to $100 when I can.

I completely agree. Most people, especially those with kids and in this economy, would be happy to save $50-$100. I find it hard to believe that if you were offered the chance to save money, anyone would turn it down.

You must be extremely naive if you believe any minimal savings Carnival receives ,would make its way to us.

I got a bridge to sell ya.

If you dont want to check prices that up to you.

I guess I am just lucky. I book the cruise out far enough to get the aft cabin I want, then if Military or Senior is offered on that cruise my PVP I have had for 5+ years just calls me and tells me that he has adjusted the price than he follows it up with email confirmation. I continue to get him as many cruisers as possible. Ricko

I also think a good majority of the passengers booked on a ship don't even know they can check for a price reduction and get it.

I saved $20. a person on my June sailing, that will cover gas to get to the port. So I will still be spending the money, it will just go to some greedy oil compnay instead. I don't see it as me being cheap just trying to economize when the economy sucks right now.

Now for my July sailing I never had a chance to get a price reduction since my cabin category sold out quickly. I'm willing to pay the price I booked the cabin at, but a price reduction at some point would have been nice too. but I'm not going to cry over it and will enjoy my sailing no matter what the price.

Archived