Lady's Attire on Formal Nights- Queen Victoria - 2 Week Baltic Cruise

Rbel4

We are going on our first Cunard cruise....the two week Queen Victoria cruise of the Baltics departing on 18 July 2008. We have two questions regarding formal nights based on people's prior Cunard experience.

1) How many formal nights should we expect on a two week cruise? (we have not received any of our cruise documents yet)

2) Are cocktail dresses appropriate for formal nights, or should only full length evening gowns be worn by the ladies?

Thank You

We are going on our first Cunard cruise....the two week Queen Victoria cruise of the Baltics departing on 18 July 2008. We have two questions regarding formal nights based on people's prior Cunard experience.

1) How many formal nights should we expect on a two week cruise? (we have not received any of our cruise documents yet)

2) Are cocktail dresses appropriate for formal nights, or should only full length evening gowns be worn by the ladies?

Thank You

Can't help with the first part of the question but on the second, full length gowns are more appropriate on Cunard for formal evenings. You can do a long to the floor skirt with changing tops to help with packing. No need for flounce and poof just sleek and you are good to go.

enjoy the cruise.

There are 5 formal nights scheduled for the two week Baltic cruise.

In reality you will find all different lengths, from street to waltz to ankle to floor, and palazzo pants. I have one which starts at street.. and ends up brushing the floor.

Can't help with the first part of the question but on the second, full length gowns are more appropriate on Cunard for formal evenings. You can do a long to the floor skirt with changing tops to help with packing. No need for flounce and poof just sleek and you are good to go.

A cocktail length dress is perfectly appropriate for formal nights. As ocngypz has rightly said, the reality on board is that a fairly wide range of clothing will be seen, and it is extremely misleading when sometimes wishful thinking replaces fact.

Annie

Even so some people constantly try to downgrade the experience, full length evening gowns are by definition the only approbriate option for a formal night.

A cocktail dress is a perfect choice for informal nights.

Especially as it will be your first Cunard cruise, Rbel4, I would like to encourage you to participate to the fullest in what makes Cunard great - one of this it the formality which has not gone so much down as on other lines.

We are taking the QV Russian Rendezvous cruise on June 22nd, according to our pre-voyage doc's there are 5:

1) Black & White Ball

2) Masquerade Ball

3) Victoriana Ball

4) Big Band Ball

5) Royal Ascot Ball

As other have mentioned, there is a VERY wide range of dress. Generally, the longer and more expensive the cruise is, the more formal the outfits.

We were on the QV's world cruise and there were many formal nights. We saw long gowns, long skirts with elegant tops, palazzo pants, calf length very dressy cocktail dresses and everything else. Everyone adhered to the formal look but not always in long gowns.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - we are on the same cruise! The formal attire I am taking is one long black skirt and one long black culottes and 4 different tops - dresses do not suit me. I am coming from 'down under' and will be away 6 weeks so I have to be sensible BUT I am looking forward to dressing up and REALLY sick of reading negative reports of the QV.

Even so some people constantly try to downgrade the experience, full length evening gowns are by definition the only approbriate option for a formal night.

A cocktail dress is a perfect choice for informal nights.

Especially as it will be your first Cunard cruise, Rbel4, I would like to encourage you to participate to the fullest in what makes Cunard great - one of this it the formality which has not gone so much down as on other lines.

Agreed, 100%. However, sadly, recent reports seem to suggest that what passes for formal attire recently is in a downward spiral. Luggage limitations are certainly not helping the matter.

Archived