Anyone Have Any Experience With A Rogue Wave?

Trainman, Alas Babylon is my favorite book of all time. I have read it over and over! It's funny because I never have heard anyone talk about it before-Good Choice!

OMG...I've read it too! Although MANY years ago. Maybe we should start a discussion group! :D

It's a very good book about surviving disaster...discussing things that one wouldn't necessarily think about that would affect day to day existence.

:eek: That wave hit the bridge?? And the crew was standing there taken totally by surprise?

So if the ship had not been headed into the wave but the wave hit from the side would that create a list? Wasn't it a Princess ship that listed so badly a few years ago?

I'm going to start sleeping in my life jacket....

When a ship is hit by a wave on it's side, it will list. The degree of listing will depend on the size and force of the wave, as well as the angle at which it strikes the ship.

As for Princess, I believe that it was the Crown Princess, but after an investigation, I believe that the list was caused by human error, and not a rogue wave.

OMG...I've read it too! Although MANY years ago. Maybe we should start a discussion group! :D

It's a very good book about surviving disaster...discussing things that one wouldn't necessarily think about that would affect day to day existence.

I remember reading the book in High School. Not going to say how long ago that was. It was a good book. We read several books on the same theme, the human race surviving after a disaster.

CC Book Club anyone??;)

I was on the Infinity, February 2007, the ship went from Santiago, Hile to Buenas Aires, Argentina. At the straits of Magellan we hit a rogue wave. I was in the cabin and only felt the rolling, some items fell of the shelves, but when I came out of the room and went to the shopping floor; things were off shelves laying broken on the floors....we started talking to people who had been at dinner (it happened during the early seating) Glasses went flying, chairs fell over, only one person that we heard was slightly injured. The ship lost 2000 glasses and many bottle of wine...

They say that it 7 years since anyone on that ship had hit a rogue way. When we came to the next port (Ushuaia? I'm not sure) there was twoo ships that had some damage (Marco Polo?)

I thought it was exciting!

I kept the ships camera pictures from that time...if someone can tell me how to attach it...

I came across this video the other day on Youtube... scary!

Scary but not a rogue wave. Actually the wave that hit the ship that hard was not any bigger than the previous ones, what caused this can actually be seen in the video. The ship just came down into the valley between two waves and the next one was right there to hit. It had more to do with frequency of waves than height.

I was on the Infinity,in SA, in Feb 2007 when we were hit by a rogue wave.We were seated in the dining room when without warning the wave hit us,several people from various tables were thrown to the ground,me included.Contents of the table landed on top of me.Several people were injured and emergency medical staff were called to the dining room.I suffered cuts and bruises and went to the Medical Centre for attention,there was one gentleman there who had broken his leg as he was in the shower when it happened and just fell awkwardly.There were many people receiving attention but I think the broken leg was the worst injury.Everyone in the dining room did their best to carry on as normal,and the waiters were terrific.I believe there were several kitchen staff injured.It was a very frightening experience one I would not like to encounter again.

We were struck with a wave on 12/3 about 3am on the Ex. that broke the glass up on Johnny Rockets. Everyone woke up around that time it seemed from the hit we took. The storm continued into the next day and we have a pic of a wave hitting above deck 12 that afternoon. It happens with little warning unless spotted by someone on bridge and it can occur in a storm or in clear weather:) pictures of that storm are posted on the Explorer thread and other areas of CC

The documentary that also featured the NCL Dawn was very good. The NCL Spirit was hit with a 60 footer also. I believe the QM1 was struck with a 100 ft wave they estimated once years ago. :)

The wave breaking on the bride was actually the voyager in the middle of cyclone Valentina. Here is another view from a rescue chopper.

http://*****.com/664fho

lots of other rough weather videos and cruise ship horror stories on that site too, so you may want to avoid clicking that link if you are cruising soon!

Just got off the Mariner and at the Captain Q & A session yesterday this question was asked. Per the Captain, a cruise ship will easily handle these waves. It's when they hit onshore that death and destruction occur.

The wave breaking on the bride was actually the voyager in the middle of cyclone Valentina. Here is another view from a rescue chopper.

http://*****.com/664fho

lots of other rough weather videos and cruise ship horror stories on that site too, so you may want to avoid clicking that link if you are cruising soon!

This video isn't the Voyager of RCI, just incase anyone starts to freak out.

Plus this video is supposedly a fake. If you watch at 2:40 the sound from the apparent helicopter doesn't change although the pictures of the ship have been sliced together. Unless you're a photoshop genius it's hard to know for sure, but don't want anyone to freak out un-necessarily!

This is also thought to be a fake:http://www.*****************/Cruise_Videos/Cruise_Video_85.html

We were on the Dawn the week after it was hit by the rogue wave. We ended up being delayed leaving NY by a day 1/2, because the Dawn had to stop in VA to be checked for damage. I have to admit it was a bit nerve racking to know she had just recently been hit by a 70 ft wave, but luckily we had smooth sailing.

This video isn't the Voyager of RCI, just incase anyone starts to freak out.

Plus this video is supposedly a fake. If you watch at 2:40 the sound from the apparent helicopter doesn't change although the pictures of the ship have been sliced together. Unless you're a photoshop genius it's hard to know for sure, but don't want anyone to freak out un-necessarily!

This is also thought to be a fake:http://www.*****************/Cruise_Videos/Cruise_Video_85.html

No, it's not the Voyager of RCI.

No, it's not fake either. It's a Spanish cruise liner, and the engines had stalled. Leaving the ship with no power during the storm.

this link is of a Spanish news crew interviewing the pax and video of what is going on during the storm.

Also there is a thread on the Photo Discussion board (I tried to find it, but couldn't) that has links to news websites about this.

Two Princess ships---Grand and Crown had lists a few years back. The Crown's was due to human error. The media made it sound worse than it was according to some passengers who were on it. The Grand listed because:

"In February, a passenger on the Grand Princess had a heart attack and the captain decided to return to Galveston, Texas.

He turned hard at cruising speed. "It was a sharper turn than should have been undertaken," said Princess spokeswoman Julie Benson. Glassware, ornaments and TV sets went airborne, according an account in The Galveston County Daily News.

Twenty-seven passengers and 10 crew members were treated for sprains, cuts and bruises, Benson said. Also, 82 televisions were smashed."

Here is the Crown explanation:

Junior Officer Blamed for Crown Princess Accident

Human error is acknowledged by Princess Cruises as the cause of Crown Princess accident. This disputes the notion that the steering malfunctioned and early reports from Crown Princess representatives that something mysterious went wrong with the steering system:

As it turns out there wasn't an equipment or software problem aboard the Crown Princess, just a junior officer that did something stupid.

The skipper set the autopilot when he cleared for NY, the ship began it's swing to port, as programmed, and the skipper left the bridge, leaving the junior on the watch. All quite normal stuff.
The junior looked over the instrumentation and got panicky over the autopilot's swing to port and turned off the auto pilot. He then tried a correction turn, but turned the ship harder to port, which caused the ship to list severely at that speed.
I don't know if the junior corrected his blunder or if the skipper had returned to the bridge and eased the hard over helm, but the problem came out within minutes of the USCG arrival aboard the ship.

This is the first report of what actually occurred on the Crown Princess this last week.

Unconfirmed reports are coming out that there may be much more to the story. There is some information that the Crown Princess did not take on water ballast prior to departure from New York, which would have allowed it to save on fuel cost. There is further information that this would be against safe operation procedures and perhaps against regulations mandating ballast prior to leaving port. Water ballast provides stability to the ship. Without water ballast, the ship would have been far more prone to listing. If these reports turn out to be true, Princess Cruises could be subject to punitive damages for gross negligence."

:eek: That wave hit the bridge?? And the crew was standing there taken totally by surprise?

So if the ship had not been headed into the wave but the wave hit from the side would that create a list? Wasn't it a Princess ship that listed so badly a few years ago?

I'm going to start sleeping in my life jacket....

• 1 year later...

I was on the Dawn when the "Rogue" wave hit. We were on deck 10 and were woken up by a crew member to leave our room. The sea was so rough and we were already rocking back and forth we didn't really feel it when it hit while we were sleeping. Our room was the first room from the damaged rooms that were able to stay on the ship. All the other rooms from us forward were too damaged. The wave crashed through a balcony room in the front and tore apart the crew deck and pool. With that said I had been on cruises where we had hurricanes around us and rough seas and it wasn't much different. The captains are trained for this weather and the ships are built to withstand alot. The worst part is the reduced crew due to sea sickness and if your travel party is sick. It is an adventure and you can get some fantastic pictures and still have fun.

One of the "good things" about rogue waves is that they are big! This means that they can normally be seen by a ship's radar long before they are visible to the naked eye.

This would allow the ship plenty of time to turn into the wave.

Wave size does vary in severe storms. Again, the Captain will position the ship to assure its safety as it encounters the waves.

If you want to read a great novel about nuclear war, find a copy of "Alas, Babalon." It is the story of a small town in central Florida that is untouched by a series of nuclear blasts in Florida and how the people adapt and survive. The book is old but good.

Not true. A true rogue wave happens when 2 or more regular sized waves catch up with each other and combine. The bigger the wave, the more regular sized waves have to merge. Since all the waves are traveling at different speeds (otherwise there would be no chance for them to catch up with each other), the rogue waves combine, then quickly go out of synch again, and the roge wave dissappears (into it's constituent waves). This means that roge waves only last for a short time, and only travel a short distance.

While there might be some time to steer into the wave, it would not likely appear on radar miles away.

There are monster waves that travel longer distances, but they are not true rogue waves.

For large ships, rogue waves will toss them around, and perhaps break out some windows or do other damage....but it's not likely to cause a sinking.

Archived