Cell phones... why?

Yes, you may talk on your cell phone if you wish... And yes, this is a free country, though I guess it could be argued that the ships are not registered in the US but foreign ports and that once you are in international waters and territories you aren't subject to or entitled to the same rights as when you are on land in the good ol' USofA...

Still, this is about courtesy... not rights...

Use your phone but be respectful and courteous to others when doing so please... Just as you have the right to talk, I have the right to ask you to keep it down or move elsewhere as it may be bothering me... particularly if you are overly loud or using inappropriate language... I would do this even if you were having a face to face conversation that was loud or inappropriate too...

Thank you!!! And this is coming from a young adult if anyone wonders.

I just love the "I have my rights; this is America" bit. No one ever said you didn't have the right -- what people are saying is that you should be courteous. Whenever I see someone mistake that notion and start clamouring about their rights as opposed to putting others first...never mind, I just shouldn't say it.

As the OP of this thread, I just want to keep one thing in mind:

Aren't you on vacation to get 'away'?

I never said to 'ban' cell phones or their usage. We brought ours along and even used them! I'm sure people use them at Disney World as much as they do while cruising. (If they had a waterproof one, I'm sure kids would use them at Wet n' Wild!!)

Kids? Can't get away without staying in touch? Stay home and play some games with them.

Sick relative? Can't get away without staying in touch? Stay home and take care of them.

Business? Can't get away without staying in touch? Stay home and keep the business running.

It just 'appears' to me that the public usage of cell phones is growing more and more and everyone just says, "Oh, I have to... I just can't live without it."

I knew this would get some interesting thoughts, but just rememeber, once the vacation is over, you're back home and you won't have to use your cell phone so much since all your worries will be there. Play with the kids, visit your sick aunt and by all means work as hard as possible to pay for another cruise!!!

Whoa there partner! This is where we'll have our differences of opinion. If someone has a child or sick relative, I'm not against them making a call to check up on their loved ones. By all means, excuse yourself from the show, the dinner table or whatever and make the call. Even if you're laying out in the sun, go ahead and make the call -- just don't try to shout over the music if the band is playing.

If I understand it correctly, most women need a break from their children every once in awhile but feel guilty or slightly nervous about leaving them behind. You won't catch me looking down on them if they "just have" to call to check up on the kiddos.

Cell phones are a great means to keep abreast of tasks and issues and I use mine all the time. I just inform the party on the other end that I'll call them back if I'm about to get into an elevator, if I'm walking up to the checkout counter, if I'm entering a restaurant, etc...

I think it was Winston Churchill who said "The cemetery is full of important and irreplaceable people".

What amazes me is that as someone is walking up and down the aisles of Walmart they are describing the merchandise to someone on their cell phone. What's really sad is that someone is on the other end of the line listening.

I think it was Winston Churchill who said "The cemetery is full of important and irreplaceable people".

What amazes me is that as someone is walking up and down the aisles of Walmart they are describing the merchandise to someone on their cell phone. What's really sad is that someone is on the other end of the line listening.

Not me. But then again, I wouldn't be caught dead in a walmart. :D

Not me. But then again, I wouldn't be caught dead in a walmart. :D

Snob.;)

I saved a guy's life a few years ago. His wife had sent him to CVS (Savon back then) to buy tweezers. There he was, frozen like a deer in the headlights, wondering which of 25+ types of tweezers she had in mind. I let him call her on my cell.:) They do have their uses!

As the OP of this thread, I just want to keep one thing in mind:

Aren't you on vacation to get 'away'?

I never said to 'ban' cell phones or their usage. We brought ours along and even used them! I'm sure people use them at Disney World as much as they do while cruising. (If they had a waterproof one, I'm sure kids would use them at Wet n' Wild!!)

Kids? Can't get away without staying in touch? Stay home and play some games with them.

Sick relative? Can't get away without staying in touch? Stay home and take care of them.

Business? Can't get away without staying in touch? Stay home and keep the business running.

It just 'appears' to me that the public usage of cell phones is growing more and more and everyone just says, "Oh, I have to... I just can't live without it."

I knew this would get some interesting thoughts, but just rememeber, once the vacation is over, you're back home and you won't have to use your cell phone so much since all your worries will be there. Play with the kids, visit your sick aunt and by all means work as hard as possible to pay for another cruise!!!

I am the one who posted that I had a sick family member and I needed my cell phone on the cruise with me. My relative lives 2800 miles from me. That does not mean that I did not need or want to get daily updates on my Sons condition.

You are a cruel and heartless person to even think to post that on here. :mad:

Maybe you should stay home and let the rest of us live our lives without you telling us how to.

Sounds like you have too much time on your hands and you mind everyones business but your own. :(

Gosh... this debate is almost as interesting as the "Smoking Debates".....

Maybe the cruiselines should also consider doing a survey as they did for smoking on "Cell Phone Usage" so they can then justify a a designated "Cell Talk" side of the ship, designated "Cell Talk" public areas, and dont forget No Cell Talk on balconies and only in staterooms (on certain cruise ships) :D

Come on people, just show some courtesy when using a cell phone if you absolutely have to, is really all most of us are asking for beit on a ship or on land no matter where you find the need to text or chat !

Live Life to the fullest and at times it pays to listen rather than speak !

IF you are dependent on your investments for basic income, that message from your (reliable) broker could mean thousands of $$$$. Let's see - so I can make my next cruise, it's 'Buy Low & Sell High' or perhaps take an 'option' position! Constant use? NO! NO!! Casual unimportant conversation?? There is simply no reason - IMHO - to do so!!

We only use our phones to talk to our children if we leave them at home. We must talk to them on a daily basis, usually once or twice a day.

My DH's blackberry and laptop are completely banned when we are on any vacation. No checking VM either. (I am a meanie:p )

Seriously, we go to get away and I do not want him thinking or stressing over issues at the darn office. That is why it is a Vacation!

Wow... seriously? I guess the fact that I would like to know ASAP if my kids had an emergency means I shouldn't be allowed to take one week (in 7 years of parenting) to celebrate 10 years of marriage alone with my husband. Are you kidding me?? Hey honey happy romantic anniversary, break out the Chutes and Ladders. Sorry, I just always imagined something a bit different for my 10 year wedding anniversary... and lucky for us the kids are just as thrilled to be spending a week at Grandmas as we are to be going on a cruise.

And yes, I take a cruise to get a break and relax... and I'm not relaxed if I'm wondering if something happened to my kids. If I have my cell nearby and it's not ringing I'm good and relaxed, but otherwise my mommy-brain can wander. My parents will never call us unless something happens, and so hopefully I will never need to use that cell phone, but we will absolutely have it.

As a side note, my grandparents were travelling when 911 happened. We were all so thankful they had their cell phone that day.

Wow... seriously? I guess the fact that I would like to know ASAP if my kids had an emergency means I shouldn't be allowed to take one week (in 7 years of parenting) to celebrate 10 years of marriage alone with my husband.

My real question was about the public use of cell phones on the ship. But now, it's come down to a lot of people talking about the 'need' to have them with them so they can be informed of every move back home.

Fine, just think back to when you didn't have that cell phone. I guess every trip away from home was a nervous time, not knowing what was going on at home. ("I'm heading to the grocery store, everyone stay safe! Call me immediately if anything happens. I'll be home in 20 minutes.")

Yes, cell phones are here to stay. And yes, cell phones have a real place in staying in touch with your family. But, seriously, have you ever seen some people go over the line in using them?

How in the world does someone else using a cell phone bother you (in the collective)?? I've heard people being loud and obnoxious talking right next to each other. Cell phones are not a requirement to be loud. Why do you care if someone else is running up a phone bill?? You aren't paying for it. Some people like the phone, some don't. Get over it.

btw, I bring my cell, and try to use it as little as possible. Check in with family when arriving and departing. If the kiddo is with the grandparents we call a bit more often, if she's with us, not so much.

My real question was about the public use of cell phones on the ship. But now, it's come down to a lot of people talking about the 'need' to have them with them so they can be informed of every move back home.

Fine, just think back to when you didn't have that cell phone. I guess every trip away from home was a nervous time, not knowing what was going on at home. ("I'm heading to the grocery store, everyone stay safe! Call me immediately if anything happens. I'll be home in 20 minutes.")

Yes, cell phones are here to stay. And yes, cell phones have a real place in staying in touch with your family. But, seriously, have you ever seen some people go over the line in using them?

Absolutely, and we will always see that. Same with driving, drinking, gambling, pretty much anything you can go over the line with. How bout loud obnoxious people talking face to face right next to you? annoying, yes, unavoidable, for the most part.

Well I'm 30 so there's never really been a time since I was 14 where I didn't have a cell phone. I'm not one of those people who chats on the all the time (we have the lowest minute plan available and roll 90% of our minutes every month). But you know when I have used it... when I was in a car accident, flat tire at 2 am when I was alone, when my son got hurt at school and they wanted to know what we would like done, when my daughter was really suddenly ill, and when we were waiting for our referral for the adoption of our youngest and that call could come any moment. If any that's wrong, then I don't want to be right. I thank God I had my cell phone with me each of those times, I don't really care to think what might have happened in a few instances had I not had a cell. And anyone who can't see how a mom might feel a difference between 7 nights away and 20 minutes at the grocery store, or between the 'need to know every move back home' and carrying one in case of emergency well... if you want to talk about annoying....

Ok common courtesy while talking on the phone, great, but y tell others what they should and should not do? I don't see this as helping people to stop anything. And just like some people have been saying, there are loud people who don't have phones who are having conversations. My thing is stop worrying about something u will not be able to control. The OP has said some things that don't make any sense. He/She sounds like someone who wants to live in the past. Get out of the past!

Snob.;)

I saved a guy's life a few years ago. His wife had sent him to CVS (Savon back then) to buy tweezers. There he was, frozen like a deer in the headlights, wondering which of 25+ types of tweezers she had in mind. I let him call her on my cell.:) They do have their uses!

Definitely not for the snobbery aspect of it. ;) Give me Target any day over Walmart.

I can't even believe this subject is up for "debate".

There is nothing wrong with using a cell phone in a public area of the ship, except where it would be frowned upon on land (in the theater, in the dining room). Why on earth would different "rules" apply because the user is on vacation?

Who cares WHY one is being used, who cares IF one is being used?

Cellphone etiquette applies under all circumstances - no yelling into the phone, etc. But beyond that - I say mind your own business.

Our travel companions in 06 were from NOVA - Potomac Falls/Sterling. They drove up to Jersey - stopped to meet us on the way. If you can take a longer trip, Jersey is a reasonable departure port for you. You need a longer trip cuz you have to sail all the way south vs. flying there to a southern departure port.

My SO lives in Sterling and I in northeastern MD - we're flying out of Dulles Jan 09 to cruise - but we only have a few days available to cruise.

Do you live near Dulles? Is it convenient to go out of New Jersey. We have sailed out of Miami and Ft Lauderdale because we didn't know if it was adventageous to sail out of Jersey. We live in Northern Virginia.

Linda

I can't even believe this subject is up for "debate".

There is nothing wrong with using a cell phone in a public area of the ship, except where it would be frowned upon on land (in the theater, in the dining room). Why on earth would different "rules" apply because the user is on vacation?

Who cares WHY one is being used, who cares IF one is being used?

Cellphone etiquette applies under all circumstances - no yelling into the phone, etc. But beyond that - I say mind your own business.

My thoughts exactly and some people have the audacity to say doing what YOU want usually leads to jail. Unreal.

But that really isn't restricted to cellphones. People converse in very loud voices even when not on phone. In a restaurant last week a guy in next booth was talking so loud that nobody for many tables around could hear their own dinner companions. It was horrid - and a pet peeve of my SO - I was seriously starting to think there was gonna be gunfire and bloodshed if he didn't shut up or leave! We ended up leaving before he did just to get away from him.

Maybe it's conditioning - we pay less attention to an in person conversation when we hear both sides because we are used to it - and the 'oddness' of only hearing one side is what grabs our brains' attention and finds it irritating.

You misinterpret me; I'm not complaining but rather just posting my feelings on that particular matter. If you reread my post, you'd probably pick up on my main peeve -- talking so loudly that everyone knows your business. To speak at such high levels is obnoxious.

Why do people reserve pool chairs without returning to them for hours. There's always going to be chair hogs and there's nothing we can really do to stop them, but people still share their feelings regarding the matter. Should we label those folks as "people just like to vent on this forum"? ;)

I'm also one of the 'run my own business' people. I wish I could get away and take a real vacation, but when you run your own small business if you want to do that you have to accept the fact that some of your vacation time will be spent on the phone or on the computer.

That being said, I would never use my phone in a restaurant or loudly!

Well, I too own my own businesses and carry a cell phone with in the event a crisis occurs that I need to be aware of or to intervene as much as possible, BUT, I do not make the first call ever while on the cruise... the cell phone is there for people to contact me if needed only. I do check the internet as well as a back up too. I feel if I cannot depend on the managers I have employed to "run the ship" while away, something is wrong !

Archived