sunscreen questions

I am not questioning the need for sunscreen - just wanted to get that out of the way first. I would like to know how many of you have tried or use the spray sunscreens and how you liked them? How do you know if you covered everything?

Not related to spray sunscreen - do you use the same sunscreen on your face or do you use a different product? If you use a different product, is it specifically for faces? Is it a stronger SPF?

I bought some of the Coppertone spray sunscreen to try this weekend and wondered if I need a back up.

I am an extremely pale redhead who burns while sitting in the shade. I used the spray sunscreen on a cruise last year and absolutely LOVED it!!! I swear by it. I went through three cans of it in one week, but I never once burned. As long as you spray evenly, you shouldn't have to worry about missing any spots. That's the only suncreen I'll ever use--I hate having to rub it in!

I love the spray cans for when I'm not able to have someone else help me out with it. I keep a spray bottle at home for him for when he works in the yard or washes the cars while I'm gone to work. If we're together we'll slather each others backs with sunscreen lotion.

I absolutely cannot ust the same product on my face. I have a bit of acne rosacea and most sunscreens irritate my skin badly. I've found that Clinique SuperDefence with an SPF of 25 works well for me. I also use an SPF booster by Dermalogica on my chest and the tip of my nose. I wear a hat or visor to keep the sun off my face and sunglasses that are large and are polarized to protect my eyes.

Hubby has that Irish skin that would burn under a 40 watt bulb so spray sunscreen is not adequate for him. He uses baby sunsceen with a UV protection of 60! I on the other hand like the spray it's convenient and non greasy.However I seem to need to buy double of what I would buy in lotion.

On my face I find my Boots #7 and a hat is enough protection.

I tried that Coppertone spray last year in Punta Cana and although it was very easy to apply and I didn't burn, it was super hard to get off. I mean, I had to scour my skin to get it off. It was extremely waterproof. This summer I'm going to try the banana boat spray.

I also love the ease of applying the spray suncreens, but you do have to be careful to let them dry AND I do re-apply a bit more often as I feel they sweat off or come off in water more easily. If I was doing an activity in the sun, I would use a heavy, more sporty type just in case.

I'm very pale and burn very easily.

No way could I use the same type on my face. I always look for an oil free type that does not clog pores....there are many to choose from. I would break out using anything else.

I actually didn't like the spray, I found it hard to get the right amount out of the bottle (could of course have been the make I tried)

I really like the Amber Solaire Transparent Gel, both DH and I found that it goes on really easily and you seem to get good coverage. We've both used it on our last few holidays without any problems.

I tend to use a higher factor 'stick' product on my nose, cheekbones etc.

ambre_solaire_clear_protect_gel_spf20_4652.jpg

I absolutely cannot ust the same product on my face. I have a bit of acne rosacea and most sunscreens irritate my skin badly. I've found that Clinique SuperDefence with an SPF of 25 works well for me. I also use an SPF booster by Dermalogica on my chest and the tip of my nose. I wear a hat or visor to keep the sun off my face and sunglasses that are large and are polarized to protect my eyes.

Thanks for this recommendation! I'm in the same, er, boat (pun intended!) with the acne rosacea and have been struggling with something to wear on my face. I've had decent success with Coppertone's Faces sunblock. Would you say the Clinique leaves your face greasy at all?

I use the spray sunscreen on my kids, they like it cause it doesn't take as long to apply and it does work. But I agree with having to apply it more often and to apply on their face you need to spray in your hand, so if we are at the beach I will use a lotion on their face, it's easier. Plus be careful where you're spraying (it in your house that is).....I find that the kitchen floor gets slippery after I've sprayed them and you wouldn't want to ruin any furniture w/it.

For my face I only use a "for faces only" suncreen as I don't want to break out and feel greasy. I've been using the Target brand of the Neutragena product (I think it's 45). It's a lot less espensive, non-greasy and doesn't clog pores.

I like the spray at the beach--no rubbing sandy hands on yourself! It works as well as lotions, but you will go through a can faster than a bottle of lotion.

I use Coppertones Face (30 )--it's "whipped" and not oily. Works fine. Just reapply every so often, especially in the latitudes nearer the equator!

(None of the facial sunblocks will clog your pores--so it really is a personal preference as to the brand.)

I don't personally like the spray, I feel like I'm not getting myself covered enough; but my husband thinks it is great. We usually go through four cans in 10 days (that's applying at least twice during the day, plus he's a big guy). We usually get the target brand because it seems like the same product and it costs a couple dollars less.

I like the coppertone oil free stuff. I usually get the 15 or 30 spf and that works great. I get the coppertone oil free faces 30 spf for my face though; and I apply it often. It REALLY stings in the eyes though. Sometimes I use the baby tearless sunscreen on my face which works nicely also, but it makes me feel greasy.

My husband and I love the spray sunscreens. DH is Irish and burns very easily. While in Jamaica last year, we used the sprays and he NEVER burned. However, bc we reapplied alot, we went through many cans of it. It doesn't last as long as the lotion bottles but it's easy to use. Just make sure you spray it outside, not in a windy area. My husband used to ALWAYS miss a spot when applying the lotions but now with the sprays that problem is solved.

I used a tinted sunscreen for my face (not going to wear make-up to the beach :) ).

I the Neutrogena dry touch faces product on my face, everyday, I really like it. DD (13) likes the spray on, but has learned to appy it more frequently, especially if she is body surfing. She likes Bananna Boat. I prefer the Bananna Boat Sport SPF 50 lotion--it seems to work better.

Oh--she's a typical California blonde, I don't burn as easily as she does. DH is somewhere in the middle. I have found that Bert's Bees ResQ (in a little green canister) works great if you do get a sunburn--gets the sting out, limits peeling and itchy. (yep, DD after no reapplying the spray on sunscreen)

I am not questioning the need for sunscreen - just wanted to get that out of the way first. I would like to know how many of you have tried or use the spray sunscreens and how you liked them? How do you know if you covered everything?

Not related to spray sunscreen - do you use the same sunscreen on your face or do you use a different product? If you use a different product, is it specifically for faces? Is it a stronger SPF?

I bought some of the Coppertone spray sunscreen to try this weekend and wondered if I need a back up.

I use an SPF 50 lotion on my face and (naked) body before I put on my swimsuit and head outside and then I use an SPF 50 spray for reapplying every couple of hours while out in the sun. I've found that the combination works very well.

I love the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunblock with a SPF of 70 or 80 with helioplex for my body, but use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70 lotion with helioplex for my face. Both are non-comedogenic, but I just like the lightweight clean feel of the lotion for my face. They are ultra-light, nongreasy, and VERY waterproof. I have a tendency to burn easily, so I usually wait a few minutes, then apply Neutrogena Healthy Defense tinted daily moisturizer with an SPF of 30, on top of the Dry-Touch Sunblock. Since I hate hats, I use Ocean Potion Dab-On Sportstick with an SPF of 60 on my hair part. Using this combo, I haven't sunburned in years. With the old Coppertone lotions I usually got sunburned on my nose, cheeks, shoulders, back of neck, tips of ears, etc.

How do you know if it's expired? Ambre Solaire were doing a deal when I purchased mine, but I couldn't see an expiry date on the bottle.

We normally bin ours after 12 months. :) I think this is the recommended time frame as some of the chemicals can change.

I use Avon 40 and have had good results with it. I stopped using spray because it smells so bad. Plus I got sprayed a couple of times by people using it on the deck just spraying it into the wind and I didn't want to do that to other people.

The spray is a godsend if you don't have anyone around to help you apply sunscreen to hard to reach spots. However, it's a bit pricy compared to a bottle of SS, so I generally go for 'regular'. (And a huuuge 2nd to the warning about slippery floors!)

On my face, I use Sheseido spf 55 or Neutrogena dry touch spf 45 (I've tried the higher spf versions, but the concentration of active ingredients in those is so high it makes rubbing it in impossible---I felt suffocated in the heavy/greasiness, so I just use the lower spf and reapply more often. I keep out of the sun for the most part anyhow)

If your realy concered about getting burnt and you will be going in the water you probably want to think about getting an aussie brand of sunscreen. In the US for sunscreen to get the "waterproof" approval if it says on in still water for 60 mins. Aussie Brands like "Blue Lizard" to get the waterproof approval it has to be able to stay on for 240mins in a whirlpool.....just somthing to think about!:D

Archived