Shopping in So CAL... need residents help

For those of you who live in Southern California... do any of you know a good place for me to get a good winter jacket that's waterproof for my next cruise to AK? I need something durable, and in a decent price range. I figured since we're beginning the summer season out here, I should be able to find one on sale/ clearance for a decent price.... am I too late?

I've checked Sport Chalet, and some other local sporting goods stores, no such luck so far. Only found name brand jackets... i.e Hurley, Billabong, etc. for over $150... on CLEARANCE!!!!!!

Thanks!

Sport Chalet usually has better sales. OK if they are a bust try BIG5 for really cheap sales. They sometimes have what you need. I like REI, but they are very spendy. It depends on what type of gear you are looking for. Sears men's department occasionally has something that is well made and inexpensive.

Sport Chalet usually has better sales. OK if they are a bust try BIG5 for really cheap sales. They sometimes have what you need. I like REI, but they are very spendy. It depends on what type of gear you are looking for. Sears men's department occasionally has something that is well made and inexpensive.

BIG 5 out in my area only has summer gear.. COMPLETELY sold out of winter gear, and @ Sport Chalet the cheapest jacket I found was $175 it was a Hurley jacket, it was nice, but I really don't want to spend almost $200 dollars... just because of the name. Thanks for your input...

oh... Mary... I totally should have asked this on our roll call forum ...huh?!

I think I'll go do that now... I'm such an idiot...

If you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you..go there. Generally they have lots of jackets and coats year round plus other items you might just have to have.

Such a good idea...thanks I'll go tomorrow, and to Ross and TJ Maxx... totally forgot about those options..

try Burlington Coat Factory. I don't know where you are in So Cal. I do know that there is one in the Ontario Mills Mall and one in Palmdale east of the freeway on Rancho Vista blvd/ave P exit of highway 14

I was going to suggest Burlington, too, LOL! There's one in Del Amo mall in Torrance.

Also, try some catalogues - Land's End, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer. I have 2 anoraks that I bought online from Nordstrom a couple of years ago, but I don't see them on the website at the moment. Happy hunting!

Such a good idea...thanks I'll go tomorrow, and to Ross and TJ Maxx... totally forgot about those options..

My local TJ Maxx and 2 Ross stores have been out of jackets for quite a while already. If either of those stores are out of your way, I wouldn't even bother.

I would also suggest Burlington Coat Factory. They have jackets/coats year round.

I agree with the others that Burlington Coat Factory would be a great place to start, but I don't know where you live or the area you plan to shop. How about Mervyns, Kohls, Loehmanns, Stein Mart, and Marshalls??? Okay, I've officially run out of ideas :)

All of the above are good suggestions. If you want really cheap go to a thrift shop like Goodwill. Most of the heavy duty jackets are barely worn some even have the original store tags on.

Some T shops are better than others. Since I don't know what city you are in check out http://www.thethriftshopper.com/

You should be able to find something for under $10. Living here a heavy jacket is only worn once or twice during the season.

Eddie Bauer (stores, catalog, online) has had great Gortex jackets, they are lightweight yet windproof & waterproof. I found mine (with an attached hood) to be perfect on my two Alaska cruises. :)

If you make it to the Ontario Mills (Burlington Coat Factory) also try the JC Penneys outlet. It's hit and miss but you'd be surprised whall you'll find and they often have real good deals.

I'll double the recommendation for JC Penney Outlet at Ontario Mills. We purchased reversible water resistant, synthetic-filled jackets (for $8 each) and turtleneck long-sleeved shirts (for as little as $3) before our trip to Alaska. I think that we went in May or June. Sometimes the Press Enterprise (Riverside newspaper) runs coupons for 25 - 40% off of everything you purchase on a specified date (usually Sunday). We used one and it really cut our costs.

Nordstrom's Rack had quite a few jackets in stock when I was there about 10 days ago. I happened to be at the one near South Coast Plaza. REI is having a clearance sale, so you might try there--either online or in the store if there is one near you. If you find one online and have it shipped to a store near you for pick up there are no shipping charges.

Good Luck. If all else fails try Lands End....

Steph ... think it was a good idea to post here too. I'm sure you will find the perfect jacket. You might also try overstock.com

Things I look for in a jacket for Alaska:

1. hood is a must

2. is it packable (since it will be 100+ degrees the day we leave AZ, I sure don't want to wear it ... LOL)

3. Can I layer with it ... I usually pick a medium weight jacket and wear a heavy sweater under it. That way if it gets too warm, I don't need the sweater.

4. Are there zippered pockets? An inside zippered pocket or two are great to have.

Don't forget gloves and a knit hat. When we are sailing to Hubbard Glacier and you are out on deck, you are going to need them.

We have cruised twice to Alaska in Sept. When we were Skagway and Tracy Arm, we really bundled up. But Juneau, Ketchikan I only needed my jacket as it was nice.

Be sure to let us know what you find. If you need thermal underwear, check out Cuddle Duds at JC Penny (JCP.com) on-line.

Have fun shopping.

Mary

Hi-I live in Southern California and went on an Alaskan cruise last summer. I had great luck with Cabelas.com. Look under women's outerwear-rainwear. I liked getting a lighter weight jacket with hood and layering underneath. They should have some good sales now. I didn't think it was too cold in July. Wear fleece pullover underneath a lightweight raincoat and you'll be fine.

Debbie

Would you consider online? Eddie Bauer and Land's End have clearance/overstock sections on their websites. We've bought coats and jackets several times over the years. We still have four of them, all well used, but in excellent condition. Buying off-season slightly saved us lots of $$$. Of course, they don't always have all the sizes or colors available. When they do, you can sometimes really score a deal (such as a navy blue EB men's water-resistant, down anorak with all the great features with original retail of $250, but clearanced for $90--12 years old, but looks good as new--or a teal/purple/rose combo women's Goretex rain anorak with all the extras with original retail of $139 for $39--15 years old and still going strong). Eddie Bauer has a few anoraks that are water-resistant/waterproof that have zip-in down liners. In cold times, zip in the lightweight down liner and you're good to go (well, not Alaska in the winter); in cool and/or rainy times, zip out the liner and you've got the perfect windbreaker/raincoat.

Also, REI and L.L. Bean have websites and might have sales or clearance items.

I totally agree with MilliesMom about features and would add this: If it's lightweight and waterproof, such as Goretex, does it have vents (flaps that cover fully but that either have mesh built in or that unzip) for ventilation and does it have a drawstring waist (that's a personal preference).

beachchick

Hi-I live in Southern California and went on an Alaskan cruise last summer. I had great luck with Cabelas.com. Look under women's outerwear-rainwear. I liked getting a lighter weight jacket with hood and layering underneath. They should have some good sales now. I didn't think it was too cold in July. Wear fleece pullover underneath a lightweight raincoat and you'll be fine.

Debbie

Thank you! I just bought some snow pants on this site... I'm going to look for jackets today, if I don't find anything, I'll just keep looking.

Archived