Street parking in Brooklyn?

sugarking

I live in NYC and want to know where the nearest available street parking is located. We have a handicapped placard and want to avoid the price of parking. Is this doable?

There is street parking right by the walk in entrance. about a quarter mile from the pier itself. Its alternate side 3 hour so your permit may work BUT this is a deserted area you car will stick out and sitting there for a week.It might be better to leave it on Van Brunt Street one block further east....

BTW the purpose is not to have free parking but to have the car near you. If you can walk that far you probably don't need it...

I live in NYC and want to know where the nearest available street parking is located. We have a handicapped placard and want to avoid the price of parking. Is this doable?

You would be much better off using the parking at the pier, it is safe and the car will be where you left it when you return. I would not leave my car on any street in that area.

sue - a Brooklyn Girl living in NJ now.

Not sure how you plan to get around street cleaning. Are those tickets worth not paying for the parking?

Not sure how you plan to get around street cleaning. Are those tickets worth not paying for the parking?

A NY city issued handicapped permit allows the parker to ignore street cleaning rules. Street sweeping signs have a broom in the. If you don't have a permit you will be ticketed and possibly towed....as all of NY city is a towaway zone. Note this requires a NY City issued permit other states or even NY state issued permits are not good for NY city street parking

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/permits/pppdinfo.shtml#nys_where_can

:rolleyes: Wouldn't it be wiser to park than trekking across Brooklyn just to avoid parking fees?

You did say handicapped? :cool:

And you know first hand coming from da Bronx ;) how unsafe your vehicle is left for several days unattended in NY.

I thought handicapped placards were issued to users for their health and well being, not to avoid paying for parking. In my opinion parking somewhere for a week or more where the average non-handicapped driver cannot park just to avoid paying parking fees is dishonest and scamming the system.

A NY city issued handicapped permit allows the parker to ignore street cleaning rules. Street sweeping signs have a broom in the. If you don't have a permit you will be ticketed and possibly towed....as all of NY city is a towaway zone. Note this requires a NY City issued permit other states or even NY state issued permits are not good for NY city street parking

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/permits/pppdinfo.shtml#nys_where_can

Hmm. let's see. You are using your permit in order to ignore the street cleaning rules? Not because you live there but because it will save you money. That doesn't seem wrong to you?

I thought handicapped placards were issued to users for their health and well being, not to avoid paying for parking. In my opinion parking somewhere for a week or more where the average non-handicapped driver cannot park just to avoid paying parking fees is dishonest and scamming the system.

I agree with you.

Hmm. let's see. You are using your permit in order to ignore the street cleaning rules? Not because you live there but because it will save you money. That doesn't seem wrong to you?

I agree with you.

BTW the purpose is not to have free parking but to have the car near you. If you can walk that far you probably don't need it..

is my quote from my first post. Does that give youi some idea what I think?

If you don't want to pay for parking, why don't you just take a cab from your apartment in NYC? Or take the subway to Brooklyn and get a cab to the pier from there?

The area outside the pier is not a good area to leave your car for a week.

If you don't want to pay for parking, why don't you just take a cab from your apartment in NYC? Or take the subway to Brooklyn and get a cab to the pier from there?

The area outside the pier is not a good area to leave your car for a week.

All the barbed wire in the area indicates something about the area.

Sorry...ot for a second.

Sid, love your new avatar with that cutie! Great pic! ;)

Thanks he is cute! We have a great time with him... You will probably see new Avatars every three or four months....

When we drove there I saw barbed wire all over that area.

I was just there today, in any case this is not a dangerous neighborhood buts its no place to leave a car overnight on the street for a week. Yes the cruise terminal has barbed wire but here is the rest of the area.... The area with the most barbed wire is the cruise terminal...There are some other places.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGgD

Sidney, those are great pictures - thanks for posting them. It really does show the area. I don't think anyone realzes how close the parking actually is to the ship - it is a one minute walk.

I am from CT and parked my car fro two weeks at the Brooklyn pier parking and it could not have been easier. It literally took two minutes to walk from my parking spot into the terminal. Best terminal parking for any cruise port that i am aware of.

Two things to remember is that the parking at the Brooklyn pier is a lot less expensive than the Manhattan pier and, this is important, when you return at the end of the pier use the parking payment machines that are at the exit of the cruise terminal to pay for your parking, not the machines outside. There is no cashier so you need to use the payment machines.

I was just there today, in any case this is not a dangerous neighborhood buts its no place to leave a car overnight on the street for a week. Yes the cruise terminal has barbed wire but here is the rest of the area.... The area with the most barbed wire is the cruise terminal...There are some other places.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGgD

I will have another look on June 8 when I debark there from the QM2.:)

Archived