Rome, Italy

george35

I need help from some of you more travelled people. Going on the Liberty leaving from Rome, but after the cruise we want to stay at least 4 days in Rome, my question is WHERE to stay, We are not RICH but we are not poor, we hate to pay $200 a night for a room, but want too feel safe at night( also during the day ). Need suggestions on hotels?????????? We are in our 70"s so we would like to be in a safe place at night.

George

Hi George,

We will be going over for the Transatlantic. I hope to be there a couple days early. I be waiting to here what others have to say. You may want to read some of the Liberty rool calls there are a lot of people over there doing lots of research:)

Rome is a very expensive place to stay but you can find less expensive places to stay if you try. I would ask on the aol Rome board and I would also look at the web site callec veneri.com or I would google budget hotels in Rome you should find something between 125.00 and 150.00 american dollars. Gool Luck Lorelle

Last May we stayed at the Starhotel Michelangelo, a four star hotel near Vatican City. It ran slightly more than $200.00 per night, which is reasonable for a hotel of that quality and location.

A good website is Trip Advisor, which has not only prices, but a very large number of reviews by actual guests with pros and cons. Some people on our cruise stayed at the Hotel Napoleon, and gave it very good reviews. It ran slightly less than $200.00 as I recall.

Prices in Italy are seasonal, and winter is the low time.

We just stayed in Sept. post cruise at the Crowne Plaza-St. Peters in Rome. We got it for a good price (as far as Rome hotels go).

Very nice hotel, large rooms. We liked it. It also has a free shuttle service to/from airport (about a $50 cab fare), and downtown Rome as well as Vatican. It's on a set schedule, which doesn't always correspond to your schedule.

Cons are it isn't really near many of the tourist sites. It's about 12 Euro cab to Vatican, 15 Euro to around Colissieum. There is a bus stop right out front of hotel, about a 1/2 mile ride to subway station on the bus. Transportation tickets are 1 Euro for 75 minutes once you validate ticket, good for bus/subway combined during that time.

There is an excellent restaurant right next to the Crowne Plaza, don't remember the name, but if you go out the hotel, it's immediately on your right, just past the bus stop. The service is a bit comical (but that added to the enjoyment), the food was OUTSTANDING, as well as their house wine, 7 euro a bottle.

Archived