NCL Onboard Charges - Post Cruise Billing Issue

TheRameres

A few more reasons why I always suggest that people not only HAVE two credit cards, but take two on trips. Cheapest darn insurance I can think of.

Card is not working? Fine, try this one!

I'll admit, I may be expecting too much- but after US Airways lost ALL our luggage to/from Barcelona, they gave us 2 $200 vouchers as an apology. I'm not sure if NCL has a history of something like this. IMHO, it's a bit of a slap in the face to get a letter saying they're going to send a collection agency after me if I don't pay a charge I thought had been taken care over 6 months ago, have them tell me it's a final notice, and not have been contacted once about a declined charge. Definitely makes me not want to cruise with them again if they treat customers like this.

How could you think the charge had been taken care of 6 months ago if you didn't see the charge on your AMEX bill:confused:

and i thought they won't begin disembarking until all on board accounts were paid...or something like that (in addition to customs clearance).

We did see evidence of that on only ONE sailing on NCL.

We were disembarking and one family was held up for a minimum amount due, it was small, like $10.00. They had to go back to reception to pay the amount, they were not happy.

Then another family had a credit coming. I believe it was $25.00 - they had to go back to reception to obtain the $25...the kids and wife were all saying "forget about the $25, but I think the husband went back:D

That was the only time that I have seen this on debarkation.

Maybe the problem isn't with the last 4 numbers?

Someone else said "Give them your AMEX number - AGAIN and let them charge it."

I agree - if you are 'willing' to pay, then pay. Stuff happens. People make mistakes!

Last 4 numbers??? Was the WHOLE thing correct?

Last month a computer repair company screwed up by charging us some hundred dollars (which we paid via debit card) and they now wanted to give back. So we gave them our bank account number to them (it's okay here) so they could transfer money to it. A week later they called to say the bank rejected the account number they gave them saying it was not valid. So we asked what account number did they put down - it turned out to be incorrect by a couple of digits.

So maybe NCL did not have the whole correct thing??

Makes me wonder why the AMEX cards aren't as widely accepted as the VISA and MC cards. AMEX travellers Cheques too.

Last 4 numbers??? Was the WHOLE thing correct?..... So maybe NCL did not have the whole correct thing??...

Exactly. I think something was wrong, other than the last 4 digits.

As to why AMEX is not always accepted... the rate they charge is often higher than VISA and MC.

Ahhhhh, always nice with three people (myself included) ask the same question and it is never answered.

Honestly people, on my last cruise, we received our final bill on the last day and after scrutinizing it, realized that we were also being charged for Ms. Someone (I don't remember the name) in a cabin two decks below us.

I stood on line for over 30 minutes, waiting very patiently to have this $900 room charge taken OFF my bill. So, do you think Ms. Someone was thrilled that she didn't receive a bill? Do you think she freaked a little when she got a letter from Princess saying she owed them $900? I would imagine. Who's fault was it? Someone made a typo in the computer and it ended up on my bill. People do make mistakes. Sometimes they are 'realistic' sometimes not.

I agree with all of the people who say that NCL doesn't owe you anything. If you checked your AMEX bill since you've been back and there was no charge, and you didn't say ANYTHING, then that makes you a dishonest person . . . but then again, you're asking for restitution for something that has not adversely affected you, other than be a pain in the behind 'cause now you gotta pay!

What happened to honesty??????

I probably mentioned it already, but to think NCL owes this poster something in itself is wrong. Yes, they should say "Sorry".

Gee whiz. These folks have not paid their bill and now NCL wants their money. Yes, NCL handled it poorly, but all they are doing is trying to get their money. No need to BLAME anyone.

It it happened to me,I would be upset with NCL and probably call them jerks. But, I would pay it and would not change any future cruising plans because of it. I would not expect anything in return since they did NOT do collections yet or all that other scare stuff.

It it happened to me,I would be upset with NCL and probably call them jerks. But, I would pay it and would not change any future cruising plans because of it. I would not expect anything in return since they did NOT do collections yet or all that other scare stuff.

Why would you be upset:confused:

Your $$$$ were gaining interest in the bank for the past 7 months while you didn't have to pay the bill;)

I'll admit, I may be expecting too much- but after US Airways lost ALL our luggage to/from Barcelona, they gave us 2 $200 vouchers as an apology.

How long did it take before they " found " your luggage? ( or didn't they ever find it? ) How can $ 400.00 ever replace everything that was in your luggage??

I agree with OP, it certainly would be infuriating to receive a "Final Notice" letter on something that you never had a clue about in the first place. As one poster mentioned it was probably an entry snafu, but for whatever reason the companies immediately put the red flag on you rather than saying "We messed up our billing and your charges will be processed now as quickly as possible". Certainly not a life altering event, but annoying non the less. As far as OP looking for something for nothing, I think he just wants a resonable explaination of what happen.

I am 100% with your thinking. What i am getting is that the OP clearly does not have a problem with paying the monies, its just the fact that nobody will own up to "screwing up" and that is just what the OP is looking for. The way it sounds is NCL is pretty much like "Hi, weve been trying to get ahold of you, um, where is our money?..."....Just out of the blue and not taking any blame.

I am 100% with your thinking. What i am getting is that the OP clearly does not have a problem with paying the monies, its just the fact that nobody will own up to "screwing up" and that is just what the OP is looking for. The way it sounds is NCL is pretty much like "Hi, weve been trying to get ahold of you, um, where is our money?..."....Just out of the blue and not taking any blame.

I don't know about you but I CERTAINLY view my bills EVERY month;)

Would you NOT be aware if you were OVERCHARGED:confused:

Or undercharged:confused:

Not out of the blue when they know they were NOT charged:)

Wow, I go to bed early and wake up to a very diverse spread of questions, comments! Instead of quoting everyone, I'll try to just generally make a comment-

The woman over the phone with NCL only read off the last 4 numbers, because she didn't want to give me the entire number over the phone in case it was wrong. At that point, I would have had someone else's credit card number (possibly). I understand that point. It's probably some sort of NCL security/privacy policy.

I said the charges had been taken care of; not paid. I made several attempts to get this paid to the best of my knowledge, but was still told I owed nothing. Additionally, my Final Invoice still says I owe nothing. I have no idea how NCL's billing work. I tried to do the right thing. I'm not upset that I owe the money; I'm upset with the way they went about asking for it.

The airline returned our luggage to us about a week after we got back home. I never got an explanation as to why it got lost, just an apology for not having my luggage on a 7 day cruise, and the vouchers. While I will probably do all I can to never fly US Airways again, I appreciated the work the customer representative did to try and make it up to us.

I'm sending a formal complaint to NCL to the address they provided me with today, and am also faxing in the payment authorization form to take care of the charges. I want to thank everyone that gave me constructive advice and support. Hopefully I get some feedback from NCL, and this time the payment goes through!

Ahhhhh, always nice with three people (myself included) ask the same question and it is never answered.

I agree with all of the people who say that NCL doesn't owe you anything. If you checked your AMEX bill since you've been back and there was no charge, and you didn't say ANYTHING, then that makes you a dishonest person . . . but then again, you're asking for restitution for something that has not adversely affected you, other than be a pain in the behind 'cause now you gotta pay!

What happened to honesty??????

1) See previous post. I apologize for not answering this question for which so many people have been asking.

2) You apparently haven't been reading... I made SEVERAL attempts to contact NCL about this amount. I have NEVER disputed these charges. I'm upset that I received a Final notice with no prior communication from this about this! Please do not imply that I'm being dishonest. I came here for some advice and support on this. Not to have my character questioned.

The woman over the phone with NCL only read off the last 4 numbers, because she didn't want to give me the entire number over the phone in case it was wrong. At that point, I would have had someone else's credit card number (possibly). I understand that point. It's probably some sort of NCL security/privacy policy.

1) See previous post. I apologize for not answering this question for which so many people have been asking.

2) You apparently haven't been reading... I made SEVERAL attempts to contact NCL about this amount. I have NEVER disputed these charges. I'm upset that I received a Final notice with no prior communication from this about this! Please do not imply that I'm being dishonest. I came here for some advice and support on this. Not to have my character questioned.

Ok buddie, I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you here. But, bottom line is this. You verified the last four digits - big whoop. It was on you to say "let me read you my ENTIRE card number to be absolutely, 100% certain that you have the correct ENTIRE number." I have had this happen in other instances and oh, someone took my number down wrong! Good grief, you have to use some common sense here.

I have apparently been reading - yeah, you made attempts to NCL, but you still never tried to verify the ENTIRE card number. As for being dishonest, well, my opinion is this, you are 7, 8 months out, and upset . . . you owe NCL $1300. You agreed to pay them. You have not done so. YOU imply that you are upset about the situation . . . I'm not sure why. YOU OWE THEM THE MONEY! I guess, even though I read your words I'm not disputing the charges, and I'm absolutely willilng to pay them, I still see the "what about poor me" attitude - that, IMHO, translates to dishonesty - pay up and let it be. Yes, an 'oops, I'm sorry' would be fine, but what else do they owe you?????

As for receiving the 'threatening letter' from the collection agency - that is so common practice. Had that happen too - you know, the bill that came in the mail, you put it down and forgot about it? You, in my opinion, are taking that part too personally.

You came here and asked if this ever happened to anyone and "As a consumer, do I have any sort of rights?" No, you do not. You are obligated to pay the bill and unfortunately, it's on you to get it squared away. Their records show it has not been paid by the AMEX you gave them. It is HIGHLY possible that the WHOLE ENTIRE number is wrong!

You might want to check with NCL and give them your ENTIRE number for verification!!!

So, don't jump on me - you came here and asked for 'help' -- it's a message board, you get experience and opinion and speculation. It is what it is. Someone else commented that you have had 7 months of interest earning on money you owe . . . suck it up.

Ok buddie, I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you here. But, bottom line is this. You verified the last four digits - big whoop. It was on you to say "let me read you my ENTIRE card number to be absolutely, 100% certain that you have the correct ENTIRE number." I have had this happen in other instances and oh, someone took my number down wrong! Good grief, you have to use some common sense here.

I have apparently been reading - yeah, you made attempts to NCL, but you still never tried to verify the ENTIRE card number. As for being dishonest, well, my opinion is this, you are 7, 8 months out, and upset . . . you owe NCL $1300. You agreed to pay them. You have not done so. YOU imply that you are upset about the situation . . . I'm not sure why. YOU OWE THEM THE MONEY! I guess, even though I read your words I'm not disputing the charges, and I'm absolutely willilng to pay them, I still see the "what about poor me" attitude - that, IMHO, translates to dishonesty - pay up and let it be. Yes, an 'oops, I'm sorry' would be fine, but what else do they owe you?????

As for receiving the 'threatening letter' from the collection agency - that is so common practice. Had that happen too - you know, the bill that came in the mail, you put it down and forgot about it? You, in my opinion, are taking that part too personally.

You came here and asked if this ever happened to anyone and "As a consumer, do I have any sort of rights?" No, you do not. You are obligated to pay the bill and unfortunately, it's on you to get it squared away. Their records show it has not been paid by the AMEX you gave them. It is HIGHLY possible that the WHOLE ENTIRE number is wrong!

You might want to check with NCL and give them your ENTIRE number for verification!!!

So, don't jump on me - you came here and asked for 'help' -- it's a message board, you get experience and opinion and speculation. It is what it is. Someone else commented that you have had 7 months of interest earning on money you owe . . . suck it up.

Thanks pal. I appreciate all your "help."

I hate to have to do this to you but... I agree with others who have said that NCL doesn't owe you anything. If I were in NCL's shoes I would say the following to you, "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience sir, not sure what the mix-up was. Luckily we caught and we can take care of the final bill right now. Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

That's pretty much it, an apology is all that is owed here. Trust me, I understand your frustration. Believe it or not, I had a very similar thing happen to me. You try and try to do the right thing over and over again and to no avail. Then the send you a collection notice as if you did something wrong. You have evry right to be upset but you do hae to realize that we are all human and mistakes do happen. Just pay the final bill and chuck it up to "just one of those things" and then forget about it. Life is too short to worry about these little inconveniences.:)

The OP was told by NCL several times he didn't owe anything. Even after he told them his cc hadn't been charged SEVERAL times. I'd be pretty pissy by now. Yes I owed it. Yes I tried to pay it. After NCL would have told me several times I don't owe anything, I would have said fine. I don't owe anything. I'm not going to beg someone to take my money.

Then 7 months later he gets a nasy collection letter (even if it was a form letter). NCL needs to own up to the fact that they screwed up and apologize. They are in a customer service oriented business. (Not that they act like it all the time - corporate office, not ship's crew).

Tell me your sorry that you didn't do your job right. Tell me that the employee who told me several times I didn't owe anything was too lazy to actually help me past looking at a computer screen.

I think the OP has a valid issue. Yes he's going to pay it. Just like I would. But not before NCL at least owned up to the fact that they made a mistake.

Kathy

I hate to have to do this to you but... I agree with others who have said that NCL doesn't owe you anything. If I were in NCL's shoes I would say the following to you, "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience sir, not sure what the mix-up was. Luckily we caught and we can take care of the final bill right now. Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

That's pretty much it, an apology is all that is owed here. Trust me, I understand your frustration. Believe it or not, I had a very similar thing happen to me. You try and try to do the right thing over and over again and to no avail. Then the send you a collection notice as if you did something wrong. You have evry right to be upset but you do hae to realize that we are all human and mistakes do happen. Just pay the final bill and chuck it up to "just one of those things" and then forget about it. Life is too short to worry about these little inconveniences.:)

I suppose... thanks for empathsizing with me though. I'm sending in the complaint letter as suggested by the NCL rep I spoke with, but even if they only rip it up and throw it away, at least I can say I voiced my frustration.

The OP was told by NCL several times he didn't owe anything. Even after he told them his cc hadn't been charged SEVERAL times. I'd be pretty pissy by now. Yes I owed it. Yes I tried to pay it. After NCL would have told me several times I don't owe anything, I would have said fine. I don't owe anything. I'm not going to beg someone to take my money.

Then 7 months later he gets a nasy collection letter (even if it was a form letter). NCL needs to own up to the fact that they screwed up and apologize. They are in a customer service oriented business. (Not that they act like it all the time - corporate office, not ship's crew).

Tell me your sorry that you didn't do your job right. Tell me that the employee who told me several times I didn't owe anything was too lazy to actually help me past looking at a computer screen.

I think the OP has a valid issue. Yes he's going to pay it. Just like I would. But not before NCL at least owned up to the fact that they made a mistake.

Kathy

I'm actually paying the same time I'm sending the letter- I'm not brave enough to wait for someone to call me and own up that they made a mistake somewhere. Even if it was as simple as a credit card number being written down wrong, or someone sneezed and a form blew off a desk into a trash can, etc. I appreciate your support!

Archived