Oasis of the Seas "neighborhoods": What's your pick?

Which neighborhood would you like to see on Oasis of the Seas?  

582 members have voted

1. 1. Which neighborhood would you like to see on Oasis of the Seas?

• San Francisco's Chinatown for all-night dim sum
    • New Orleans' French Quarter for Mardi Gras parades and a Cajun-themed eatery
    • Hollywood, complete with a Walk of Fame (let's nominate Royal Caribbean's past passengers!)
    • Memphis for blues and jazz clubs and late-night bar hopping
    • Aspen: a ski lodge with cruising's first lifts and slopes
    • Other (please post!)

I said "other" so I'll explain myself. I would like to see "South Beach"!! :D :D I love the atmosphere there and all the funky bars, restaurants, shops and nightlife!!!! :D :D

My dw had a ball on Canal Street in NYC. Maybe that neighborhood is one of them. Chinese restaurants and lots of street vendors with fake Rolexes, Prada and Burberry bags, etc. Yep, I know that'll be one they announce!:D

If there is indeed a South Beach Miami area, this would be the neighborhood for a cigar bar. It would a fitting tribute to Calle Ocho (the Little Cuba area of Miami). A ship this big should have a cigar bar.

...and a Cuban restaurant... :D

...Another neighborhood may be an all suite neighborhood, complete with a Concierge Club and other special amenities.

NCL already has this on their ships and it may make it over to RCCL. I wonder if they'll turn it into a gated community with the obligatory "rent a cop". ;)

I voted "other".

My suggestion is: Playa del Banco neighborhood.

:D

Love it - Bank of the Beach. Too funny!

Venice, Italy. Need I say more.

I was thinking Italy as well, how about the Amalfi Coast for the stern area?

I thought the "neghborhoods" were ll going to be from NYC? :confused: It will be interesting to see if they try other cities...I hadn't considered that.

So since I never get to ski in real life, let's bring on a ski slope. :D

The ski slope might not be too far fetched. I saw a documentary on an indoor ski slope in Japan. That didn't have any real or man made snow. People were using it just like a regular snow ski slope. I would be surprised if Oasis did have one. But the technology is there.

Well if indeed it were NYC themed, I would certainly be thinking CONEY ISLAND and roller coasters, hehehe:D

Well If they can build one on the top of a hotel (Las Vegas) why not on a ship? :p

Bowling alley?

NCL has them.

I'd like to see a "Canadian" neighbourhood since we probably make up a fair size of the RCI contingent on most ships. Perhaps, some Rockies for skiing or a Niagara Falls tie-in with a water park, or a cobblestone walkway with cafes shades of old Montreal or Quebec City. Just some "north of the border thinking" - I don't doubt whatever RCI has in mind, the neighbors will love it!

I went with other. While some of the choices were thoughtful, I want a neighborhood that would have activities to do. And I'm not talking about eating and shopping. I would like a neighborhood that would be sports oriented. There would be batting cages, mini football field for pick up games, and a racetrack going around the whole thing with miniature racing cars. Plus the ultimate sports bar.

I like the idea of a dedicated Asian area. Jade is nice but it should have it's own dining space.

Lee, I'm with you. It would really be nice to have some really good/fresh asian and stir fry to order, along with tranquil waterfall zen type areas!!

Like a few others have said i would love to see a more worldly approach. Some of the greatest cities are outside the US (GASP:eek: ) How about Hong Kong, Toyko, Berlin, London, Paris, Madrid, Sydney the list can go on and on. I would love to see the Eifle Tower, Big Ben, Placido Madrid, the Sydney Ampitheater all on a cruise ship.

As much of a Disney fan as I am, I really hadn't thought of the comparison. It's true though.

I doubt it will be Los Vegas because that is really just a compilation of great areas too.

I could see the spa area being Ancient Greece...columns, togas.

I could picture a Paris cafe for the coffee area.

I would absolutely love a space themed club, with something like Skywalker's on the Caribbean Princess as a basis.

A rootop themed bar?

Just thoughts :)

Geem are they going to have a doggie park~

As much as I would love to bring my cat, can you imagine if you were stuck beside a dog who barked all night? What if your pet got sick? Disposing of droppings? Allergies? I love my kitty, but I understand why they do not allow pets.

I voted for New Orleans; when I went there I had a great time.

I think that the greater concept here is that RCI is betting, with Oasis Class, that 5,400-6,000 passengers is a "critical mass" of size where it will be able to not have the entire ship designed around a single theme, but can sustain several themes, in this case in the form of neighborhoods, and have all those themes/neighborhoods be found popular.

My cruise experience (so far) is limited to a 2,000-passenger ship. Our sailing was timed right around the time most schools in the US are on Spring Break, so our ship was filled with families. We were one of only a few couples without children or teens on board, and it showed when we went into the Disco after 10 PM (when they have the teens leave), and saw all of 10 people. I can imagine, with a ship the size of the Oasis, that even on sailings with a heavier family orientation, there will still be enough people in places like a Disco for it to not feel deserted (even 30 people makes a huge difference than 10). That in itself can make a big difference to the success of a neighborhood.

It's going to be great to see how these neighborhoods and their related "cultures" play out!

While all of these "neighborhoods" in the U.S. would have their appeal, how about thinking about "neighborhoods" that represent other parts of the world? Since Royal Caribbean has become a global cruise line, neighborhoods dedicated to the different regions they cruise to would be awesome (and would be a great marketing tool for people to consider other cruises while onboard this one). For example, some neighborhoods would include "Europe", "Asia", "Alaska", etc.

One that comes to mind right away (since these ships are deployed at one point or another in this area) is a neighborhood dedicated to the many cultures and flavors of the Caribbean. People might think "why devote a neighborhood to an area that I'm about to see in person"? And I have two answers. The first one is because the Caribbean in general has multiple cultures that cant be experienced in one week (Cozumel is definitely different than going to San Juan). A Caribbean "neighborhood" would allow guests to "taste" a bit of those parts of the Caribbean that they won't visit during this particular cruise. The other answer is: for the same reason that hotels in different parts of the world are decorated to reflect their location. It wouldn't take away from the Caribbean cruise. It would probably enhance the whole cruise experience and make the guest feel as if they are already in the Caribbean from the moment they step onboard!

Great Idea!

The ski slope might not be too far fetched. I saw a documentary on an indoor ski slope in Japan. That didn't have any real or man made snow. People were using it just like a regular snow ski slope. I would be surprised if Oasis did have one. But the technology is there.

I voted for the snow scene as well. We have a niece who lives in the Philippines and has never seen snow, and we are not able to arrange a visit time (with her schooling in mind) where she can experience it. This would solve the problem. The ice rink on Explorer and her sister ships would be close, but not quite like actual snow. To make me (us) happy, it wouldn't even have to be so sophisticated as to have a ski slope--just snow. That would make it a legitimate New York neighborhood!:)

Well if indeed it were NYC themed, I would certainly be thinking CONEY ISLAND and roller coasters, hehehe:D

I still would like to have a laundry mat in the NY themed park... oh to be able to wash and dry some clothes with the airlines limiting our luggage.

Irene & Miles

Archived