Are pocket knives allowed

country traveler

Just wondering if pocket knives are allowed on board the ship?

Thanks

My DH had one on the ship but if you are flying to the cruiseport then there is a problem with that. I think you can put it in check luggage. check out the TSA website.

marilyn

Beautiful cat!! What is the breed? I am an avid cat lover!

Thank you! She is a Sphynx, hairless cat. We actually adopted her from a pet rescue, can you believe someone would give her up? I guess a breeder thought she was a poor mother.

I usually bring a leatherman in my checked luggage. ;)

My travel partner forgot his leatherman in his pocket and they took it from him. I got him a new one but it isn't the same and he doesn't like it as much. Do you know where we can find the "old" style?

My travel partner forgot his leatherman in his pocket and they took it from him. I got him a new one but it isn't the same and he doesn't like it as much. Do you know where we can find the "old" style?

You might try first at their website, http://www.leatherman.com/default.asp

See if you can find the model (by looking at the pictures of the various models) that was taken away. That would at least get you the model name. There is also a dealer locater at the site, so you could find some dealers in your area that could order the model you want, or find at the website.

You might also try contacting Leatherman direct if it was a "really old" model that is now out of style. Who knows maybe they have some stock of old models at the factory here in Portland.

HTH

symo

Try an army navy store too. I have seen them there. :)

So what do you guys do with your knives onboard? or at home?

I can't say I've ever wished I had a pocket knife on me.

I think it may be how my DH was raised and where, since he has always carried a pocketknife. While traveling he is always there to cut the tags off suitcases or stray threads off clothing or using the screwdriver attachment to fix a loose wheel on the pull along. It really does come in handy.

I had a metal nail file in my back pack (carry-on) when boarding the Emerald last year in Venice. (Interestingly enough, it made it through the TSA in Los Angeles and at JFK). They stopped me at the entry scanner and took the nail file. I completely forgot about it, but when I was exiting the ship they had it there waiting for me.

I can see the need for a small pocket knife, with utility blades like the 'Swiss Army' type knifes.

I would suggest that if anyone wants to take one on a cruise that they place in in their checked luggage. Once on board the ship, keep it in your cabin to handle those small tasks like cutting threads, slicing lemon/limes, screwdriver, etc.

Do not take it with you off the ship on land tours, etc. In most cases, they will confiscate it at the security points when you re-board the ship. It will be returned on the last night/day of your voyage. Don't wear it on your belt while on the ship either.

At the end of your voyage, especially if you are flying, place the knife back in your checked luggage.

All that said, I usually carry a wine opener (Also in checked luggage.) that has has a small blade on it, that will do most of the things a knife would do, as well as open corked wine bottles. The one I have was bought in the Princess shop on board, during one of our cruises.

I also usually carry a couple of nail clippers (One large for toe nails and a small one for finger nails.) which also do a great job at cutting threads on clothing, etc.

Archived