Just booked the Spirit to Canada!

Well, we took the plunge today and booked the Spirit to Canada and New England on 9/7. This is going to end up costing more than our budget, after the trip insurance, fuel surcharge, and taxes, but what the heck. We aren't big drinkers.

One question, though...in these ports, do you HAVE to take an excursion to sightsee, or can you just walk around? We may want to keep our costs down on these.

This cruise looks to be almost sold out. The online operator was sold out, and NCL had pretty lean pickings. We managed to get a mid-ship balcony stateroom, #9576, which should be OK. All the other available staterooms were pretty far aft.

Any suggestions, tips, etc. are welcome. One question: Has anyone used Rovair or some other short-term internet subscription on a cruise? Is there one that's certain to operate out there?

We are takeing the 9/14 trip. This will be our 4th time up there. I picked this over the Dawn because of the ports. We have always just walked around. In Halifax the pier is right in the city with a nice market on it. They had sort of a hop on hop off buss when we were there. In Boston the pier is right in the city also. NCL had a shuttle buss to Quincy market which ran all day for 15 a person. St. Johns is a little town where the ship docks at the foot of main st. I never went but the bay of fundy is the big attraction here. Martha's Vineyard is a tender port where you get off in a beautiful little harbor with rest. ect right on the water. We have always just relaxed in the town.

You don't have to go on an excursion in any of the port, there are nice things to see and do within walking distance. Bay of Fundy is one of my favorite spot in Canada but I guess it would be very crowded if you go with a ship excursion (I've always been there on my own, part of a road trip). Saint John, NB is my least favorite port but still nice to explore. Don't worry, it's very easy to keep the cost low with this itinerary. You don't come to Quebec City by any chance?

No, we don't, alas. This cruise stops at Halifax, St. John, Boston, and Martha's Vineyard. I had tried to talk DH into taking the 7-day cruise that does Bar Harbor and Newport instead of Martha's Vineyard, but he didn't want to spend the extra money -- probably a good thing, since I still have sticker shock from looking at the price after taxes and fuel surcharges.

I seem to remember reading something about a "soda card" that you can buy for unlimited soft drinks. Does this still exist? If not, what beverages are included during the day? Do they have coffee service in the buffets all day? Juices?

I'm also interested in non-ripoff ways to access the internet while on board. I looked at Rovair, which will cost me $104 for the week including insurance, but they use Sprint or Verizon, and I wonder if they have coverage out at sea.

I seem to remember reading something about a "soda card" that you can buy for unlimited soft drinks. Does this still exist? If not, what beverages are included during the day? Do they have coffee service in the buffets all day? Juices?

Yes, the soda card is still available. Today's prices for adults are $6.25 per day per passenger plus 15% tip.

That adds up to $7.20 per day.

A 12 ounce can of soda is just $2.00. A 12 ounce glass of soda with ice as a fountain drink is around $1.25. Unless you realy plan to drink many sodas, I recommend buying a can as you go.

Archived