Western Mediterranean Tips! HELP!

Hi! We are going on a RCCL Western Mediterranean Cruise, We are leaving from the Miami area. Any tips about where to travel to before getting to Barcelona? We want to minimize the possibility of losing our luggage by traveling direct to somewhere then staying a few days before traveling to Barcelona. We are also trying to figure out what if any RCCL tours are worth taking. We are traveleing with a 8 and 10 year old and need to keep them in mind when booking our tours. Any tips would be appreciated!

thanks

We stayed a day or two in Madrid before moving to Barcelona, but I would skip that. It is not really a tourist place.

We loved Barcelona (we had a 18 yr old ad 21 yr old).

We used the hop on hop off busses and like the Guadi stops (Park Greul??, the Guadi museaum and La Sagrada Familla. We also liked the place up on Mont Juic (I spelled that wrong) where there is a recreated village w/ Spanish artisans.

We did not like our tour thru RCCI at Villefrance (nice), so not sure what to tell you.

In Livorna, we did a Segway tour of Florence, which was fantastic. You might need t check if they have a lower age limit.

Next was Naples, I would say kids would like any tour that includes Pompeii. I would skip Capri and Sorento. Not too much the kids would enjoy.

In Venice, we enjoyed just walking around on our own, as well as getting over to Murano to see the glass factories. In Rome, we hired a private driver thru RomeIn Limo. Our guide was great.

Check out the European Ports of Call board.

which tour did you take from the ship in Villefranche (we have the eze, nice, monte carlo tour booked). Let me know what you disliked about the tour you took if you can, thanks

Every moment in Barcelona is magical. Spent 2 days post cruise in 2006...loved every second of it. We did not do the RT itinerary as I suspect you are. We cruised Venice to Barcelona, but went LA-Paris-Venice, then Barcelona-NYC-LA.

On our cruise, we did most of our trip 'on our own' - finding taxi drivers that knew the places to go. Ended up being cheaper for us than our dinner mates that did the organized tours. In Rome we used the ship's transportation due to a expected transit strike.

thanks for all the help! I am still not sure how what the best way is to get from Miami to Barcelona.

We are flying from Miami to Barcelona on Continental Airlines. Only have to change planes once in Newark.

When are you going? We are on RCCL Brilliance of the Seas which departs June 22.

HTH~

Laura

We are going on the Voyager. We don't want to have to change planes for fear of losing luggage. We would like to fly into Paris and spend a few days there then to Barcelona. Not sure yet. Another option is to fly into Rome to spend more time there then go to Barcelona.

which tour did you take from the ship in Villefranche (we have the eze, nice, monte carlo tour booked). Let me know what you disliked about the tour you took if you can, thanks

We just did that tour and it was a wonderful day. We hit all the high spots and had time to stop at Eze, for a snack and stroll around. Go into the grocery store there and just inhale the smell of the fruits and vegetables, mmmm.

It drizzled on our day tour but it was still the best thing we did on the cruise.:)

thanks for all the help! I am still not sure how what the best way is to get from Miami to Barcelona.

Well to avoid problems it's probably best to take a direct flight if there is one.

WE flew from here to Philadelphia, then to Paris and on to Barcelona. I was amazed when I saw our luggage arrive :D and even more surprised when it came back with us :Das we had a short connection time in Paris and had to get to another terminal and board the US bound flight in about 30 mins....phew

Tip- take LOTS of money.... we are used to things being much cheaper....

I have a couple questions to ask the original post. Are you using a travel agent or are you doing your airline on your own? If you use a travel agent they can find you the most direct flight without hassles, they can also find you a decent hotel in whatever city you plan to visit pre or post cruise. The good thing about spending a few days in Europe prior to your cruise; if the airlines misplace luggage you still have a few days for them to get it to you. Here are a few tips, you should buy cruise insurance. If the airlines are delayed; lose baggage, the travel insurance will reimburse you for the inconvience. So if you let me know what your plans are I can give you some more definite answers.

Hi! We are going on a RCCL Western Mediterranean Cruise, We are leaving from the Miami area. Any tips about where to travel to before getting to Barcelona? We want to minimize the possibility of losing our luggage by traveling direct to somewhere then staying a few days before traveling to Barcelona. We are also trying to figure out what if any RCCL tours are worth taking. We are traveleing with a 8 and 10 year old and need to keep them in mind when booking our tours. Any tips would be appreciated!

thanks

DO NOT take a flight that connects via Heathrow. More bags go missing from connecting flights through that airport than anywhere else in the world, apparently!

We found that we needed time at the end of the cruise to relax before heading back to the States. The itinerary is very port intensive and we were extremely tired when we arrived back in Barcelona. We had an eleven and thirteen year old. We spent three days in Mallorca after the cruise. Great place to just relax on the beach. You might want to check that out. I think our airfare was $100 per person round trip.

As far as excursions go - we saved enough for another cruise by doing everything ourselves. I don't know what your itinerary is, but we were Villefranche, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Naples and Malta. In Villefranche we took the train to Monte Carlo but stopped in Eze for a few hours. You simply get off the train at Eze Su Mer and take a bus up to the old village.

In Livorno, we took a train into Florence. Our travel companions stopped in Pisa to check out the tower, etc. We went direct to Florence. The cruise excursion just for the bus ride was $54 per person. The train was $4. The ship's bus had to let the people off on the ourskirts of the city because of the narrow streets. We emerged from the train station in the center of town and were within ten square blocks of everything you'd want to see.

Same economics in Civitaveechia. You basically have to choose which Rome you want to see in one day - ancient or religious. We chose ancient and took the train to the last stop which was about a five block walk to the Coliseum. From there we took in the Forum, had lunch at Piazza Navona, saw the Trevi Fountain, did a little shopping and returned to the ship in plenty of time.

In Naples, we went to Capri. We are all avid hikers and there is a magnificent trail up the mountain with breathtaking views. After returning to the town, we ate lunch at a wonderful restaurant overlooking the Marina.

Malta - we hired a driver for the day for $100. He took us to the glass blowing factory and other shopping sites and then to a great beach for a few hours.

Taking the public transporation gave us a great opportunity to see and experience the coutries we visited up front and personal. To spend six or seven hours with the same people we cruise with didn't appeal to us or our wallets.

Peter

we stayed 2 days in Barrcelona. It was wonderful. We used the metro to get around. My husband was in charge of directing us with that--I told him what was next--and he got us there. We live in a rural area--and it worked. I believe we ate a womderful dinner at Cats. Research Barcelona and pick out what you want to see. We saw the church under construction, the park, aqarium,and many other things; one thing that was extra wonderful--we took the train to the monestary--I think it is called Monastrat. It was absolutely wonderful with spactacular views. We did this in the morning, got our tickets at the metro area--if you get on the rick stevens web site it will tell you where to buy tickets--came back to Barcelona took the metro to the church and then to the park. Walked the main drag waching the human statues and had a fabulous dinner. The night we arrived took a cab to the waterfront and toured the aquarium--because I fiqured that wouldn't take much brain power after our flight.The hotel we stayed at is owned by the university--it was cheep--and the room was outstanding--just off the main drag. During the cruise--we booked private tour guides--by comparing notes with our fellow cruisers on ship--it was well worth every penny. I would highly recomend this especially with children.

Since we always use FF miles to go to Europe, I go to wherever I can get seats. Last cruise out of Barcelona, we flew into and from Madrid and used one of the LCC's between Madrid and Barcelona. I believe there is now a high speed train between the two cities as an option.

We really enjoyed both cities but actually preferred Madrid. We stayed at the Westin Palace across the street from the Prado and Thyssen Museums. A fun time was a Tapas evening walking tour with http://www.adventurousappetites.com/.

Either Barcelona or Madrid is a good place to spend a day or two pre or post cruise.

Cheers

Archived