Packing tips for the mediterranean!?!?!?

We a flying from the US to Paris then to Barcelona for 7 day cruise aboard the Voyager. We are a family of 4. Dos anyone have any packng tips on what to bring and how to pack light. We know what to wear on the ship. We need help packing light and what gadgets and little things to bring to Europe.

Thanks!

I got a Rick Stevens money belt that fit under my clothes. This is a must have. Pick pocketing is bad there. I wore a SAC waist bag with just a few Euros in it on the outside of my clothes. Do not carry any purse--unless a cross-body type--husband--do not carry wallet in back pocket. I watched a man walk right up to my husbands behind and look at his back pocket. He wasn't carrying the money--I was under my clothes. We heard of several people being pick pocketed and one lady--her purse was stollen. We also heard stories of straps being cut to get at a purse.Twice--they tried to pick pocket my husband.

Clothes--if needed you can use laundry on board. We did this. I am going to bring even less clothes this time due to airline restrictions.

We had private shore excursions booked. To us--this was the best decision we had made.

Take half the clothes you think you'll need (and twice the money!) - seriously.

Pack everything in the same color scheme so you can mix and match and limit the shoes you'll need. Use the ship's valet service or self-service laundromat. Don't worry about wearing things more than once - no one will notice, and if they do, who cares? The less you take, the happier you'll be.

Hi Guys

I live in Malaga (on the costa del sol, Spain)so rest assured the weather here is hot now and is going to get hotter - think 100 - 110 in July and August! Pack as cool as you can and don´t forget your sun tan lotion, though you can get loads of selection here to suit every skin type. Also don´t forget your swimming things Barcelona has a fantastic beach which the kids will love.

Thanks for the advice. I am really looking for packing tips to keep my bag light and what gadgets or little items I should bring to make my trip run smooth.

I'd leave the formal wear at home--especially the guy's. Our Med cruise was the most casual cruise we'd ever been on. My DH was one of about a dozen w/ a tux. A short, dressy dress for ladies is fine. Even the suit was optional for men. Most of the men in the Dining Room had on a long sleeved shirt, some w/ a tie and that was pretty much it. I'd be interested in hearing some other assessments of what Med cruisers have experienced on this.

Can't agree there. We've done four Med cruises and they are very stylish. Much more formal than Carribbean. The Europeans enjoy dressing up. You could hire a tux. Ladies formal wear is often easier to pack.

If you plan to visit churches remember no knees or shoulders on show. ?There will always be an exception but better to play it safe than to travel all that way then be turned away.

I agree. We are have been on about 17 RCCL cruises. We always dress up for formal nights. My children do to...my 8 year old son weras a suit. I have not been on a European cruise, but imagine that it is very similar in dress than others. The majority of cruisers dress vrey nice if not formal. I posted this thread because I wanted to get ideas of what to bring that would help me to pack light. I was also looking for ideas on little items that I would not think to pack like duct tape or shower caps to cover dirty shoes when packing. Any tips like those?

Thank you so much for the ideas so far!

Those Dollar Store or Walgreens plastic ponchos also come in handy for sudden downpours, if you can remember to take them with you in port.

You are right Charlsee. I kept a tiny plastic poncho with us at all times. It really came in handy when a sudden storm caught us off guard.

Good idea...I will pack an umbrella and ponchos. WE are traveling with our two kids. Any little drops of rain and they freak out. I think they think they will melt!

I also agree about dressing up. We were sitting at a table of 8 each night and there wasn't one person who didn't clean up very well. All of the men wore at least a blue or black suit on formal night.

Lastly, when packing -- my DH and I split up our clothes in each other's suitcases, just in case a suitcase went missing. I also packed small laudry detergent packets and dryer sheets and did laundry half way thru the 12 night cruise. It was worth it since our clothes were usually "quite ripe" after a long day of sight seeing.

Costa del Sol cruiser, i am so glad you said you live in Malaga. We are three senior ladies, not that senior, who are sailing out of Malaga november 2009. Can you give us any recommendations for hotels, etc. we won't be hiring a car. We will probably arrive on Saturday and sail on Monday. if we are lucky we may even go earlier. I appreciate any help you can give us and any recommendations you have for sleeping, eating etc. Beej, aka Ms Toad

One of the most useful items is the over-the-door plastic shoe holder. You can buy one cheaply from Walmart. Also, a laundry bag can come in handy. Include a night light and possibly a traveling alarm clock with a lighted dial.

Brill, you are so right, the shoe holder is perfect. We bring one that uses a hanger for the closet to hold bathing suits and the like (it's really old and think I got it when i bought hangers years ago.) The other holds all sorts of stuff on the door. Toadally invaluable Don't forget the duct tape.

Don't even think of trying to pack for the entire trip, especially since you are travelling with kids and may have to assist or carry their luggage as well.

We're going in October for 18 days and are planning on packing for 6 days, including the clothing we are wearing on the plane. Every top will go with every pair of pants, we'll mix and match everything. My husband will rent a tux for this cruise, I'll pack short cocktail length dresses. For casual evenings, we'll each take 2 pair of pants and 5 tops/shirts. The ship provides laundry/dry cleaning and while it is pricey, it's very well worth it to pack light.

Cut back on shoes by packing from the shoes up. Don't even think of taking a single pair that isn't planned to wear several times.

Instead of searching for things to pack, do the opposite, see where you can cut back and leave things behind. The cruise ship provides most of what you need with the exception of clothing. Don't get too carried away with suggestions for "stuff" here, much of it can eat away at your checked luggage allowance weight.

Carry on at least one clean outfit per person and cross pack with everyone, in case one bag goes on a different vacation than you do.

More than anything else, have a great time planning your trip :)

Hi Guys

I live in Malaga (on the costa del sol, Spain)so rest assured the weather here is hot now and is going to get hotter - think 100 - 110 in July and August! Pack as cool as you can and don´t forget your sun tan lotion, though you can get loads of selection here to suit every skin type. Also don´t forget your swimming things Barcelona has a fantastic beach which the kids will love.

Hi Angie!! Was thinking about you a couple of weeks ago when we heard from Richard. Wish we were there instead of here. LOL..... Hi to Darren and George! Vicki

Archived