Sitka recommendations

albyman32

Leaving next Wed on Carnival Spirit and I've booked all excursions except for Sitka and I'm not sure what to do there. Originally we were going to go with the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest but I'm already taking a fishing charter in Ketchikan and I think I'll see a lot of similar wildlife. I'm afraid the two excursions will be too much alike. Thought about kayaking in Sitka as well but we have an odd number of people and the kayaks are in pairs. Not a huge deal but not preferable either. Open to other suggestions, ideas, and comments.

Sitka has the best marine wildlife and bird tours available on the cruise route. There will be no similarity with your fishing charter, on which you will hopefully see fish, but not much else except great scenery.

For clairfication, you are definately mistaken, you will NOT see any similar scenery or wildlife, and maybe, NONE on your fishing trip (except the fish). Ketchikan is not a wildlife area for boat tours.

Out of Sitka you WILL see, eagles, sea otters, puffins, humpbacks, with an independent operator, also possible sea lions, harbor seals, sea birds.

This is the top tour choice in my opinion, out of Sitka.

It is a very walkable city with several interesting sights. Sitka National Park, Raptor Center, museums, dancers, St. Michael's Church.

http://www.sitka.org

Podie, are you cruising June 10, 2009? Probably before that, the northbound trip just before ours I bet. Maybe I will get to read what you have to say about it before we leave. Not sure about Sitka either. I have read that is always a tender port, and maybe just walking in town would be better than planning anything.

... Not sure about Sitka either. I have read that is always a tender port, and maybe just walking in town would be better than planning anything.

Yes, it is always tendered. While you CAN just walk around Sitka for the day and keep busy, it's certainly not "better" than the excursions (we've done it both ways at Sitka, planning and not planning).

Yes, it is always tendered. While you CAN just walk around Sitka for the day and keep busy, it's certainly not "better" than the excursions (we've done it both ways at Sitka, planning and not planning).

Well said!!!! I also agree. If your "plan" is a walking tour, do your homework so to have a route and stops of interest. Time is short in ports to wait until you get there, then figure things out. :)

I'm on the May 27, 2009 Spirit northbound cruise. Sorry we won't be on the same cruise!

Sitka seems like a fascinating city to me after reading "Alaska" by James Michener. Did I read something about one of the museums closing there?

A tour with Davey Lubin of the Esther G is HIGHLY recommended. We just got back, and this was our favorite excursion. We saw TONS of wildlife, including quite a few whales (right next to the boat too). Davey is SO knowledgable about the area and the wildlife and could spot it from WAY off in the distance. He also commuicated with other small boats for whale sighting and other wildlife sightings. I can't imagine that we would have even seen a fraction of what we did on a fishing expedition because the point of the excursions would be totally different. Davey goes to the limits for his customers to see a huge variety of wildlife and boy does he deliver.

We also walked up to the Raptor Center, which was nice, and walked back through the nature trails in the National Park which was beautiful. Sitka was by far my favorite port, mostly because it is the least "commercial" of any we visited.

Just got back from Sitka two weeks ago. Beautiful!! We did a "hike and bike" through Celebrity. We biked about a mile along a beautiful road and then hiked for about 3 miles (roundtrip) through Thimbleberry Trail. Saw lots of bear scat (poop!). Beautiful scenery. Afterwards, took a taxi to the Raptor Center. It's a sanctuary for rehabilitating injured eagles. You get really close to the eagles. They are absolutely breathtaking!! Have a wonderful trip. I'm so jealous!!!:D

Archived