Need Info

I'm looking at a possible cruise out of Galveston on a different line. We are about to go on our first cruise with CCL in Sept. RC only cruise out of Galveston in the spring time, my question what are the crowds like at that time on RC?

We no longer have any kids living at the house and DW is a teacher. So when we go on vacation we really don't want to deal with other poeple's kids running around while there parents are enjoying another part of the ship. I don't mean to sound arrogant or that I don't like kids it just a vacation thing.

Mid-to late Sept. shouldn't have too many kids--but there will ALWAYS be some! I don't know how CCL handles children, but on RCI, they do keep them busy. We usually cruise during "spring break" and although there are tons of kids aboard, we've never been bothered--aside from an elevator-button pushing marathon (which always seems to happen when you're in a hurry) the kids keep to themselves!

You said your wife is a teacher. Is she planning on taking a week off so she can sail while schools are in session? If the answer is yes, you will be satisfied sailing in mid-January. January is the time we sail and The Voyager has very few children on-board. My estimate is that maybe less than 5% of passengers on-board, at that time, are kids.

Both cruise lines cater to families, but Carnivor is a cut below RCi and way down the ladder to Voyager of the Seas.

The ships sailing out of Galveston.....Voyager is amazing, the kid's program is well run and offers a massive section of the ship AFT away from the general population of the ship.

You will have tons of kids during holiday periods, but dramatically fewer during the school year.

Voyager is 142,000 tons while Carnival has a large ship but 40,000 tons smaller and older than Voyager.

I am very jaded. Dislike the Carnivor product, others rave about it so to be far, dismiss my negative point of view on CC.

But the size, creative layout, multiplicity of activities on Voyager makes it a hands down winner in every possible way when considering sailing out of Galveston

I think Conquest or Voyager you will enjoy either one. Food is a little better on Carnival, but Voyager is a prettier ship. I did think Voyager improved on the pizza and snacks with the promenade cafe. I guess Im a snacker, so this was a nice improvement over Rhapsody (I know rhapsody was much loved, but it had a few things I thought Voyager improved on).

I dont think you will find much difference between the two cruiselines, unless you are into rock climbing. We enjoy both lines. Conquest has a lot to recommend it too.

We have cruised during the spring the last two years on RCL. The only drunks we had problems with were all over the age of 60, not college kids. We also bought some liquor on board to bring home and they wouldnt give it to us until the morning of departure, because of having so many underage cruisers they said. I didnt plan on picking up my booze at 6:30 am the morning of departure, but oh well. They also will search your suitcase more for smuggling booze onto the ship if you cruise in the spring. Just be prepared.

I never noticed the spring breakers, but then I wasnt hitting up the dance venues late at night either.

Voyager is 142,000 tons while Carnival has a large ship but 40,000 tons smaller and older than Voyager.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do;jsessionid=0000DKQzX6M62Tf6FmVzTQclvTL:12hdhu6tq?br=R&shipClassCode=VY&shipCode=VY

The 138,000-ton, 3,114-guest Voyager of the Seas became the world's largest cruise ship when it entered service in November 1999

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/shipscarnival.php

Carnival Conquest - 2002 (CQ)

------

I make it out that the Carnival Conquest is 3 years newer than Voyager.

If you are comparing regular cabins, a OV on Conquest is 220 s.f. and a OV on Voyager is 180 s.f., but Iv read a JS on Voyager is larger inside than a 9A on Conquest, even though the 9A wrap on Conquest is much sought after for its wrap balcony, larger balcony. Of course Conquest also has cat 11 and 12 suites like Voyager

I have Conquest booked for sept 08 and 09 only because RCL has no ship that time of year.... and plan to do Voyager again next spring.

Small things on Conquest are free, like espresso or capachino after dinner, but Voyager of course had a prettier 3 tier dining room that is indeed elegant. Conquest has a paid for restaurant, same as Voyager. Conquest also has a sushi bar and Sur Mer (fish) free. We were dissapointed in Johnny Rockets on Voyager, it wasnt as good as on SOV, all soggy and uneateable, I left.

Rather than fly somewhere or stay home, Im doing both ships this year. You will find that many who dont like Carnival havent even been on their ships, they say they just know they wouldnt like it from what they read.

I know you didnt ask me, but I wanted to point out the Conquest is actually the newer ship unlike what was posted and post links to show the actual age.

Thank You Firefly I will be on the Conquest after you I leave on Sept 28th. We are also booked on th Crazies cruise. We are talking right now about trying RC and with TexasMunk statements I wanted to see what he had to say. As of right now the biggest difference I can find is price and SF. I know that the regular baclonies 8A are smaller on RC then the Conquest by SF. The one thing that might make the big difference is crowds. Both of us enjoy getting together with poeple and enjoying drinks and having fun. The only thing is when she takes a break from teaching she wants to get away from kids who are loud and running around out of control.

OK, Im thinking maybe Texas Munk is thinking of the Ecstasy as I notice there isnt 40,000 tons difference in the ships either.

I think you will love Voyager. I did pay more for Voyager, but it was worth it to me, just not year round. I wouldnt pay a huge amount more, but I certainly plan on doing Voyager again. Fabulous.

Quiet space on Voyager near purser's desk. also the two story library is a nice quiet place where you can look out, its right at the end of the rail with a view thru the promenade and no one hardly goes there. Its not a closed in space like on Rhapsody.

No one sits insider here and hardly anyone was walking outside....so there are quiet spaces on Voyager. I actually did love the Voyager.

Picture226.jpg

you are a lot wester that I am!!!

you'll like this-

my neighbor (from indiana, but is now a texan and loves it here, says she should have been born here)

they are going to carlsbad this weekend, and in telling me what all they were going to do, she said there was some kind of river walk on the

"pee-koes" (like the tea) river. I had to correct her quickly, and tell her the importance of saying places correctly, so maybe she won';t have to learn the hard way, i'm not sure she believed me. but she does not say

pee-can!!

Somebody will correct her on that. The little riverwalk is in Carlsbad and it just a little park basically. Kind of nice and they do have a good amount of shade trees there. If she is going there one of the better places to eat at, or it use to be it has been a while for me, is at the Stevens Hotel it is a best western but has/had a great menu. If they come through Pecos they will have about another 75 miles to go north of me on 285.

Archived