restaurants on land tour in alaska

s&f4travel

We will be on a land tour next week prior to sailing and are visiting Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage. Does anyone have suggestions for some restaurants where the locals frequent. My husband and I much prefer a pub type place to higher end dining. I read about a place in Anchorage, Mr. Whitekeys, that sounded really great, until I learned it closed two years ago.

Keep in mind, that on a cruisetour, you will have to be on someone else's schedule. A lot of the time, for breakfast, it was just easier to eat at the hotel restaurant as the meeting time was early. Then for dinner, we usually arrived into town between 5:30 and 6:00, by the time we got settled in our rooms, we didn't feel like searching around for a restuarant so again just ate in the hotel restaurant. One night in Whitehorse, we did walk to a Subway close by the hotel. The restaurants fill up with the tour bus folks quickly, and then add in the locals and we were looking at an hour to an hour a half wait for dinner, that means eating dinner at 8:00 or 8:30 and that's too late for us.

You can make your plans and get ideas, but don't be surprised or upset if they fall by the wayside once you are on the tour.

In Anchorage, we ate at the Snow Goose - not bad and has a great variety of beers. It's up the street from the Hilton.

In Denali, there is a Subway right across the street from the Princess Lodge (if you're looking for a quick lunch). For dinner, I would recommend the Black Diamond. It's about 5 miles outside of town, but they run shuttles to it.

We were on a cruise tour a few years ago and we were able to enjoy several local places. We just asked around where the locals eat and went there.

I can recommend a couple places in Talkeetna. The West Rib in the little town had good food for reasonable prices...kinka like a pub. They also had outdoor seating under beach umbrellas! It is right next to the little airport runway and a plane landed while we were eating dinner. It was so close we were ready to hid under the table before we realized that it was heading for a "runway". Anyway, great place for lunch or dinner.

For Breakfast in Talkeetna we ate at The Roadhouse. Again, its in the little town, can't miss it. The breakfast was great, served in the "living room" of this guest house, at long tables.

Fairbanks we ate at Pikes and had the best icecream at Hot Licks...

Anchorage, we were directed to a bar by a local police officer. All locals, good food, reasonable price, but I can't remember the name. Darn.

Denali, we just ate at the hotel, as we did the 8-9 hour Tundra tour and were too tired to venture out that night. But I understand there is a Subway there that even does breakfast.

Locals up here frequent Humpy's in the downtown area. It's across the street from the Performing Arts Center. Other good places are the Glacier Brewhouse and Ristorante Orso.

My wife and I love Simon and Seaforts on L Street between 4th and 5th avenues. Great food and a good view of Cook Inlet.

Just got back from those place you will visit. The cruisetour keep us hopping. In Fairbanks stayed at Sophie Station. Had the Salmon diner Spouse hade hamburger. A lot to eat should have split the Salmon diner. It was exzcellent. In the Denal went to aAlaskan Fish and Chip. So -so.

In Talkeetna stary at the Lodge again should have split diner very big portions. Nothing outstanding but good. For luch in Talkeetna went to the Wildflower. Very large portions. Each had a diffent cup of soup that was very good (wild mushroom and fish chowder) split a Halibut sandwich. Others on our tour ate there with same response. Also said pizza was very good. Food on Celebrity cruisetouwe train was excellent. Split the sandwich one day and also the Prime rib the next day to save room for good deserts. Hvae a good trip.

I like City Diner in Anchorage. Nothing fancy or particularly Alaskan about it, but it's really good diner food. :)

Believe it or not, the best food I had in Denali was at McKinley Creekside Cabins where I stayed (15 miles south of the park or so). I agree that the Fish & Chips place was so-so. I had tacos from the taco stand one night and they weren't bad. My last night there I had dinner at the bar at McKinley Chalet - decent fare with typical high prices.

Gwennie's in Anchorage seems to be the place to go for breakfast.

I can recommend a couple places in Talkeetna. ...

For Breakfast in Talkeetna we ate at The Roadhouse. Again, its in the little town, can't miss it. The breakfast was great, served in the "living room" of this guest house, at long tables.

...Other good places are the Glacier Brewhouse ...

We ate at all of the above.

I'd skip Gwennie's in Anchorage... blech! We were able to walk there from the Holiday Inn Express for breakfast. The silverware, coffeecups and dishes were dirty. The creamer container had seen better days. And by the time we arrived in Fairbanks later that night, my son and I, both, had some sort of gastrointestinal distress and stomach upset.

My brother and his girlfriend had dinner at the Glacier Brewhouse (in Anchorage) and we met up with them just as their dinner arrived. We were offered tastes and everything was excellent!

In Talkeetna, we had dinner at the Roadhouse. All of their breads and baked goods are made right there! And all of it was Excellent!!! We took a few baked goodies back to our room to have for breakfast the next morning! Yum!

Also in Anchorage, upon the recommendation of AKSusan, we found one of the Arctic Roadrunner restaurants... great for local flavor, cash only. Mostly just a burger joint, food was so-so.

In Fairbanks, we were able to walk to a place called Brewsters. Excellent fried Halibut and chips! (Though this was the night I wasn't feeling well and I could only eat a couple of bites.)

In Denali, our hotel (McKinley Village Lodge) was too far away from anything, so we just ate at the hotel. In the bar, we had burgers for dinner. Everything on the menu was very expensive, but the food was good. The next morning we had the Continental breakfast buffet.

Archived