Volendam in Alaska June 1-15, Ship Review

Since there was some discussion of both - here are our observations from early June.

Children - Club Hal was great. On glacier viewing - our 9yo DS stayed there because he not only got a good view and interpretation of glaciers - they were also visited by the rangers, both NB and SB and became a Junior Ranger twice. On our trip there were more chilren NB than SB, the Club Hal person said that was normal.

Laundry - We decided we were on vacation and did the unlimited landry - that really saved over the $12/bag. Service was fantastic.

MichellP -

I have a question about the Wildlife Excursion you did in Haines. Is that something you did through the ship? Or did you set it up on your own?

I couldn't tell since you rented a car and then did the wildlife bit.

• Administrators
MichellP -

I have a question about the Wildlife Excursion you did in Haines. Is that something you did through the ship? Or did you set it up on your own?

I couldn't tell since you rented a car and then did the wildlife bit.

We did the wildlife excursion in Haines through the ship. It's called something like Alaskan Wildlife Expedition. It probably can be set up on your own, though -- here's a link to Steve Kroschel's website -- http://kroschelfilms.com/ -- hope that helps!

Hi Michelle:

We're sailing on July 10 and had read a really bad review by Renee on the reviews section in which she and her family had a very poor experience on The Volendam and swore off HAL for good. They sailed the last week in May. I wrote to the customer service department at HAL and told them we were really concerned and even considered cancelling our trip. I was amazed, absolutely amazed that someone got back to us. Tammie Montes, the Rep, had actually read Renee's review and had personally contacted the ship with Renee's concerns. She addressed each one of them in the letter to us and apparently there were some problems that week, including laundry equipment being down that resulted in fewer linen changes, etc. It sounds like those issues were mostly resolved by the time you sailed. I have to say we were quite relieved to read your very detailed review, esp. about the AYW dining option, which has been getting mixed reviews. We've been cruising since 1999 and have seen a general decline in freebies and ameneties all over as the lines get more competitive to get those cabins filled, ie: lower cabin fares. I'll add my thanks to all the others for taking the time to let us know how it went for you. I thought your review was quite fair.

MichellP, thanks for the review!

We'll be on the Volendam next year.

By the way, when we spoke to the CD on the Oosterdam last year, it became very clear to us that he followed CC closely, and read all the relevant posts. So the good and the bad get back to the people who matter - your review makes a difference.

- Richard

I first read your post on the Alaska ports of call board and realized I would be following the same itinerary on the same ship (Aug. 10-24). Both reviews are full of useful information and don't sound like they come either from a cruise line representative or from a disgruntled passenger. Thank you for taking the time as this helps people like me plan for a wonderful vacation.

Oh, the people in the Pinnacle Grill are probably right about the wine available by the glass using the wine card, but they should take that up with management. The offerings are shameful at times and would not do the food justice, but they are marketing to people who seldom drink wine. Were I running a wine program on a cruise ship white Zinfandel would not be available, but I'm a real snob when it comes to certain things and I know it. You wouldn't go to the Pinnacle Grill with a can of CheeseWiz and cover your steak with orange goo, but you might order some wine that makes the food taste bad.

Personally, I look forward to Alaskan beer with most of my meals. My last HAL cruise offered so little variety in beer (Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light, Coors, Coors Light, I think you get the idea) that I was drinking beer in every port.

Anyway, I started rambling. I really just wanted to thank you for your great posts.

-- David

• Administrators

Thank you, all, for the kind words. I write the kind of reviews I like to read -- detailed ones with lots of facts. :) Glad folks found it useful -- I had fun writing it and we surely had a great time on the Volendam in Alaska.

I first read your post on the Alaska ports of call board and realized I would be following the same itinerary on the same ship (Aug. 10-24). Both reviews are full of useful information and don't sound like they come either from a cruise line representative or from a disgruntled passenger. Thank you for taking the time as this helps people like me plan for a wonderful vacation.

Hi Dave,

We will be on the Volendam Aug 10 then taking the HAL cruise tour for 7 days from Seward to Fairbanks. Will you be doing the BtoB or the cruise tour?

14 days on the ship; hoping to plan a cruise tour in the future.

That assumes we will have a great time. I have never heard of anyone saying they wouldn't go on a cruise to Alaska again if the opportunity was available to them.

• 6 months later...

Hi michelle!!

I've also read about the 'secret' cabin also in another cruise:) However, I think they belong to a more expensive inside cabin category. Hence, we are considering inside cabins in the dolphin deck, or in the main deck which are cheaper (MM, M, L are the cheapest ones). MM is in the dolphin deck, nearer the ship's tail; M is in the dolphin deck, mid-ship cabin; L is in the main deck, but in the ends of the ship.

My considerations: Avoid too much movement, avoid noisy cabins.

thanks!

Archived