Dolphins Swimming by ship.....

How many of you have seen the dolphins swim next to are near the ship?

And where were you? What time of day?

I really would love to see this - but have seen nothing but the flying fish.

Don't get me wrong - they are very cool and I love watching them - but

really want to see the dolphins. :D

On the Elation during a sea day in the Mexican Riveira. Watched them play with the ship during breakfast.......

Also seen many last August while we were in Cabo swimming around a bunch of sea lions.........just before sail away.....

The first time I saw dolphins, we were out at sea. (Actually, I guess we were in the Gulf of Mexico, heading back to Tampa - I'm never sure if that's considered officially "at sea.") Anyway, my SIL was dying to see some, so we sat on deck for a couple of hours, and saw a school of them about 30 yards away from the ship, swimming along with us. She saw the first one when it jumped. A couple more of them jumped after that - that was REALLY cool. They kept pace with the ship for a minute or two, then they were gone.

We also had dolphins follow us out of Miami - just as we were heading out to sea. This was last July.

One other time, we saw dolphins when we were still docked in the port of Jacksonville - they weren't that close to the ship, but were around a couple of jetskis.

I think we figured we'd seen dolphins swimming next to the ship on every one of our cruises until our Mediterranean cruise in May of 2007. We also haven't spotted any on our three weekend cruises out of Long Beach/San Pedro since then.

Before that, we saw them at least once on every cruise.

I wonder if we'll see any on the Vancouver-to-Hawaii cruise....

Edited to add: I'm mistaken. We DID see dolphins on our Labor Day 2007 weekend cruise out of Long Beach....around dinner time after leaving Ensenada.

Luckily, I had my camcorder on deck late one afternoon at sea, and took some footage of several dolphins - beautiful; have seen them on a few occasions, but not on all cruises. Lots of flying fish, and yes they are pretty, too.

Almost all the dolphins I have seen has been while we were docked in Galveston.

Doug

On my last sailing on the Conquest my cabin was just barely aft of the Atrium. I stood on my balcony during sail away and watched the dolphins play near the bow... You also see them playing while the ship is docked...

We boarded the Glory at Port Canaveral in June of 2006. Up until sail away, we watched 2 dolphins playing in the harbor area where we were docked. They seemed to be having a wonderful time! We couldn't take our eyes off of them!

WOW!! How lucky you all are! I am soooo jealous!:cool: I would love to see them! I'll keep watching. I thought maybe it was in particular locations or at certains of the year - but doens't sound like it......

We also have the option of going to Sea World and seeing them all we want!

:)

We have seen dolphins many times while sailing from Long Beach to Mexican Riviera - Last trip we saw many groups of Dolphins right outside Long Beach harbor and then off Newport Beach and San Diego - then a couple of times in Mexico.

We have also seen dolphins while sailing in the Caribbean. They like playing alongside of the ship in the wake.

How many of you have seen the dolphins swim next to are near the ship?

And where were you? What time of day?

I really would love to see this - but have seen nothing but the flying fish.

Don't get me wrong - they are very cool and I love watching them - but

really want to see the dolphins. :D

You are not alone, we have been on 3 cruises two out of Miami and one out of fort lauderdale, and never got to see any.:o May be on our next cruise we will get lucky;)

Archived