Fuel Supplement Run Around Again

I booked 2 cruises last week before the 6/30 increase. I used 2 nextcruise options. I booked the same cruise for 2 cabins (Mariner 4/18/10 cruise). My one nextcruise was gotten when the fuel supplement was $5.00 and that is what is reflected in the booking, even through the fuel surcharge is $8.00 at the time of booking. My 2nd nextcruise was gotten when the fuel supplement was $8.00 and that is what was charged.

So, the nextcruise is what was used as the original booking date to figure the fuel surcharge, as opposed to the date the actual ship was decided on. This is contrary to what others are saying. I was prepared to pay the $8.00pp/day on the one booking, but was surprised to see the fuel surcharge only $35.($5. pp/day X7) total for the week cruise. I will take it! :D

debshomespun, I wish that were the case for my booking. My Next Cruise was actually purchased last May, before ANY talks of fuel surcharges. But when I used it this May, they did tack on the $5 pp per day charge. I don't know if it's worth fighting with RCL about.

I think the goal is to have passengers paid for all the fuel to increase their bottom line.

I understand the need for the fuel surcharge, but I don't appreciate the constant increasing of the surcharge. Seems kind of shady to me especially since cruiseline's actual fuel expense is not increasing at the same rate. They are using the current economic crisis to do away with one of their operating costs.

debshomespun, I wish that were the case for my booking. My Next Cruise was actually purchased last May, before ANY talks of fuel surcharges. But when I used it this May, they did tack on the $5 pp per day charge. I don't know if it's worth fighting with RCL about.

Call and ask to speak to someone in Resolutions. They took mine off no questions asked, my Next Cruise was purchased the 1st week of November, just before the cutoff date.

I have also had this problem. When these charges were added when a change was made, I called back later and talked to someone else at RCCL and the additional charges were removed.

I feel your original fuel supplement should not change once booked. It is only fair to stay with the original booking dates. People should get the benefit if they book early.

So, I am going on a cruise in July that was booked very last minute. Yeah, we got charged the FS- I knew we would be beforehand so not a big deal. The part I find amusing is that when I looked at the itemized charges for the cruise, the FS was listed under "Otional Items". Ha ha! Optional to me means that I can choose to do it or not. Optional must mean something different to RCI. I guess that must be my twisted sense of irony kicking in....

So, I am going on a cruise in July that was booked very last minute. Yeah, we got charged the FS- I knew we would be beforehand so not a big deal. The part I find amusing is that when I looked at the itemized charges for the cruise, the FS was listed under "Otional Items". Ha ha! Optional to me means that I can choose to do it or not. Optional must mean something different to RCI. I guess that must be my twisted sense of irony kicking in....

Hi ddgleason! What a double coincidence.....my husband said the same thing about the optional items AND I live in Henderson too! We are at Horizon and Horizon Ridge! Ruth

I did call C&A this morning and the woman I spoke to (Rhea) said that the booking date is determined by the day you select which ship, sailing date and cabin you choose. So even though I purchased my NC last May, my booking date is this May, so I have a $5 pp per day FS. I can live with that as long as they don't raise it if I make any future changes. I've already changed cabins and it didn't change.

The new invoices say that a "full deposit" is required to lock in fuel surcharges. What irks me is that I recieved an an invoice and after that, my fuel surcharge was increased without even another invoice. This of course goes against how they were selling NCs earlier ... that you can lock in a fuel surcharge, in case it increases, by making a NC reservation.

I think the goal is to have passengers paid for all the fuel to increase their bottom line.

I understand the need for the fuel surcharge, but I don't appreciate the constant increasing of the surcharge. Seems kind of shady to me especially since cruiseline's actual fuel expense is not increasing at the same rate. They are using the current economic crisis to do away with one of their operating costs.

Hi,

yes, the passengers are the ones that have to pay for the fuel, the food, the cost of the ship, employees' saleries, executive pay and anything else the costs money to operate the ship ...... who else is going to pay for it ? and they ( the cruise lines) have to show some profit as well - people do own RCL stock.

Perhaps it is hard to understand why fuel costs so much, but the cruise line has to pay whatever it costs if they want it, or if we want to cruise we pay for it ...... either in the price of the 'ticket' or surcharge.

Please look at the Energy Information Administration web site to see how much feul costs, here is the link:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_spt_s1_d.htm

if you want to do the calculation, you will see that the fuel that most cruise ships use ( residual oil / fuel - similar to diesel # 6) ) went up just from January 2008 to June 2008 from about 515 per metric ton to 745 per metric ton ..... they use ( the average large ship like Voyager class) from 1000 to 1200 metric tons per 7 day cruise - that is a lot of fuel and a lot of money ..... someone has to pay for it.

Some people that booked cruises long time ago ( most of 2007) when fuel was about 235 per metric ton ( Jan of 2007) got a very good deal on their price but someone has to pay for it now.

And the marine gas oil ( similar to diesel # 2) that some cruise ships use is even more expensive ...... so I do not believe that the cruise lines are making any big profits on the surcharge that they charge us.

Wes

IFthe booking date is determined by the day you select which ship, sailing date and cabin you choose, and we booked ship, date and cabin in Sept. 2007, what is our fuel charge per day for our upcoming October European cruise?????

Thanks,

Hi ddgleason! What a double coincidence.....my husband said the same thing about the optional items AND I live in Henderson too! We are at Horizon and Horizon Ridge! Ruth

That IS funny!!! We are at Windmill and Pecos. Waiting for the Mariner to get to the West Coast. Of course, by the time I book that the fuel charge will probably cost more than the cruise itself!!!! Hard to have multiple cruises booked at a time living on a teacher's salary.

Seriously, I think they should change it from optional on the invoice to its own category called Fuel Surcharge. There's an idea- call it what it is. Of course, then they run into the problem of they have to charge what they are charged without padding it. (There's a whole other thread about that problem and port charges.) If I have the option of paying increased fuel charges, I opt to not pay it!! :p Think they'll listen to that argument?

IFthe booking date is determined by the day you select which ship, sailing date and cabin you choose, and we booked ship, date and cabin in Sept. 2007, what is our fuel charge per day for our upcoming October European cruise?????

Thanks,

Hi,

none.

Wes

Yippy- Just went into our reservations and they fixed it back to the original surcharge of $35 pp 1st and 2nd. I sent a letter to investor relations and asked them to either explain or fix and they fixed. Don't know if I'll get a letter explaining but I'll post if I do.

I've never been so happy to pay for gas...

P.S. Thanks RCCL, if your looking.

p.s. So glad they fixed it because my little group wants to start planning a B2B on Oasis for summer 2010, we are so excited to keep booking,keep planning and paying for gas at the correct surcharge.

RC Customer service called tonight and said they had computer glitches on 6/30 and when I made my last payment it somehow reverted back to the original $35 pp(that I think it should be) by mistake. So my letter to corporate has not worked or not answered yet.

The CSR said he had to call 21 people tonight to tell them there was an error when they posted their payment and their fuel charges should be the $8 per day not the $5.

I think I could do a better job in their computer department and I was a history major.

PS. the guy who called was extremely nice, professional and kind even after I gave him all I had (after years in service myself). I keep telling myself its' only $63 but the midwestern girl in me says its principle. To be continued...

So let me get this straight (sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread)...

We are booked for August, final payment is made... when we booked, FS was $5pp/pd... it has now jumped to $10pp/pd... we haven't been billed for the increase and I wouldn't expect to be...

If I want to change my cabin in the next few weeks before we sail, will I be subjected to the difference in the FS???? If so, what's the best way to avoid this???

We are considering an upgrade of cabin but if they are going to charge me the extra $5pp/pd, it may not be worth it...

My booking number should stay the same right??? And if so, ergo, wouldn't my FS stay the same???

We are booked for August, final payment is made... when we booked, FS was $5pp/pd... it has now jumped to $10pp/pd... we haven't been billed for the increase and I wouldn't expect to be...

If I want to change my cabin in the next few weeks before we sail, will I be subjected to the difference in the FS???? If so, what's the best way to avoid this???

We are considering an upgrade of cabin but if they are going to charge me the extra $5pp/pd, it may not be worth it...

My booking number should stay the same right??? And if so, ergo, wouldn't my FS stay the same???

Amy, it *should* stay the same.

I just booked a cruise for next month by moving a booking on another cruise which I decided not to take.

The *new* booking, using the old reservation number, has the smaller fuel surcharge on it ($5 pp/pd) and my old OBC.

Yours *should* work the same way.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I think you'll be fine with an upgrade, same dates & ship. My problem came when I switched dates after May 1st but with original booking #'s. B/C they were a Next Cruise and need those #'s for the OBC. But be careful because I think their system is completly out of whack and make sure who ever you talk to get their extension and their full name and ask for a e-mail and snail mail confirmation.

Amy, it *should* stay the same.

I just booked a cruise for next month by moving a booking on another cruise which I decided not to take.

The *new* booking, using the old reservation number, has the smaller fuel surcharge on it ($5 pp/pd) and my old OBC.

Yours *should* work the same way.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Merion_Mom,

I don't think thats going to work. Change dates or ship raises the FS, the last word I had tonight with RCCL .My Booking #'s never changed only the FS. I did keep the OBC so I'm $37 to the plus after the $63 hit. My 10 year old will eat that up in 10 minutes at the arcade.

No people won't stop eating because of the price of food, but they will change what they eat. Already I am hearing reports of bottle water sales way down, people going back to tap water. And although many of us die hard cruisers will cruise for as long as we can. Many people on tighter budgets will get to the point were adding an additional $200 for fuel charges will break their banks........................... and this may have an impact on the cruising industry...........

Hi, kidless! I agree with your post, not to mention the increased cost of flying for all of us living in the center of the country. Flights for my next cruise are running nearly double what they were for my last cruise -- same port city.

Has anyone looked at the increase in the port/tax line? From the time I booked (11/07) until about the day AFTER the Ag's decision on the fuel surcharges, they went up aprx 70%. No one can tell me that they are accurate. The cruise line said they adjusted port fees to more accurately represent current costs -- right, current operating costs, not port fee increases is my bet, but I am sort of pooped from the surcharge fight and didn't file another complaint.

Merion_Mom,

I don't think thats going to work. Change dates or ship raises the FS, the last word I had tonight with RCCL .My Booking #'s never changed only the FS. I did keep the OBC so I'm $37 to the plus after the $63 hit. My 10 year old will eat that up in 10 minutes at the arcade.

It worked for me. ;) :)

I will say it again I have changed dates and same ship once, different ship and date another time. Same booking, never changed the fuel surcharge. But I also believe you need to make sure they email you the new booking information. I think online they are having problems. So I do not think you can go by what shows online.

I think when you make the change you need to make sure they do not change the fuel surcharge. Just ask them to make sure it has not changed.

Archived