Spirit: Extra charge for a seat!

pinkbirds02

Just made reservation's on Spirit and went to get seat assignment's. They are now charging $10.00 for a window seat and $ 5.00 for an aisle seat ! Whats next ? Pay toilets? How about if they charge for a seat while waiting in the airport? :mad:

Just made reservation's on Spirit and went to get seat assignment's. They are now charging $10.00 for a window seat and $ 5.00 for an aisle seat ! Whats next ? Pay toilets? How about if they charge for a seat while waiting in the airport? :mad:

This is and has been their model as an ulta low cost carrier patterned after Ryanair's business model. From their web site:

"Spirit Airlines' ULCC (Ultra Low Cost Carrier) approach liberates customers from being forced into paying for services they do not desire or use. When customers are seeking the best value in travel they can choose a low fare at spiritair.com and select the services and options appropriate for their travel needs. Spirits ultra low cost model driven from numerous efficiencies, new aircraft, advanced technology and dedicated staff allows the airline to take this approach offering savings to millions of customers in The Caribbean, Latin American and The United States."

If you don't care about your seat you won't pay anything extra...

Just curious, are you signed up for Spirit's $9.00 fare club?

To all - be aware that Spirit is owned by private investors and is losing significant money each quarter. They are laying off almost half their staff and will likely find additional funding impossible. I would be careful booking Spirit for trips that aren't close at hand - unless you can find one of their free or $9.00 tickets and treat it as a lottery ticket...

$10 for a window or aisle seat and $5 for a middle seat on my reservations today from Orlando to San Juan. That is PER SEGMENT!!! $60.00 total for myconnecting flights. I guess if you don't select, you stand.

$10 for a window or aisle seat and $5 for a middle seat on my reservations today from Orlando to San Juan. That is PER SEGMENT!!! $60.00 total for myconnecting flights. I guess if you don't select, you stand.

It's my understanding (I don't fly Spirit) that the charges are for pre-selected seating. If you don't select a seat, one will be given to you at check-in. Seat roulette. So, if you don't care where you sit, you can just not pay for the pre-selection. If you want to sit somewhere specific, or together, buy the selection option. Your choice - it's an ala carte airline, and you can decline if you wish.

It's my understanding (I don't fly Spirit) that the charges are for pre-selected seating. If you don't select a seat, one will be given to you at check-in. Seat roulette. So, if you don't care where you sit, you can just not pay for the pre-selection. If you want to sit somewhere specific, or together, buy the selection option. Your choice - it's an ala carte airline, and you can decline if you wish.

I was being facetious regarding "having to stand" if you don't select a seat.

I was being facetious regarding "having to stand" if you don't select a seat.

Being on the taller side, I actually wouldn't mind standing as it would mean more leg room and that my knee-caps wouldn't get bashed from trying to wedge myself into the "leg room" provided. :D

Archived