Best Time to Book?

Beachgator

I am attempting to book a good cabin for a 2009 cruise and have been amazed at the limited cabins available this far in advance (particulary the Trans-Atlantic and Europe cruises). Most of the available cabins seem to show up as undesirable cabins as posted on this site. Since many cc members already seem to have reservations for 2009 cruises and I was wondering, how do you manage to get that prime aft cabin?

I am attempting to book a good cabin for a 2009 cruise and have been amazed at the limited cabins available this far in advance (particulary the Trans-Atlantic and Europe cruises). Most of the available cabins seem to show up as undesirable cabins as posted on this site. Since many cc members already seem to have reservations for 2009 cruises and I was wondering, how do you manage to get that prime aft cabin?

Well, I can speak for the Equinox Transatlantic, and those bookings opened to Captain's Club members back in March. I originally had an Aqua Spa cabin on hold, decided to switch to a C1, and then wanted to go back to an AQ cabin. All the AQ cabins are sold out. And this sailing isn't until November 2009. My TA has me on a waiting list for an AQ cabin, but if it doesn't come through, we'll certainly be happy with our C1. I believe all the aft cabins went very quickly. However, in looking at some of the preliminary photos of Solstice and Equinox, I don't think the aft cabins look nearly as desirable as the M-class. The balconies appear to be no larger than any other location. But some people prefer the aft regardless.

We booked for Solstice Eastern Med 17 Aug 2009 cruise back in April this year, as soon as booking became available.

Wasn't without its stresses though. This is our 1st ever cruise, so did not now what to expect with the booking process (through a TA in the UK). Originally booked what we thought was 11 nights. Then a week after booking we noticed from Celebrity website that our particular cruise AND OUR BOOKING had disappeared from view. :eek: A week later after numerous phone calls to the TA and Celebrity UK, the booking re-appeared, but instead of 11 nights it had been converted to 12 at no extra cost :D .

Of course I've continued to check the website, and all is well, but in answer to your question I would say they still appear to have plenty of availablity - why not join us.

You will see posts where people advocate waiting until final payments are due or even later to get the best deal. In fact, you MAY get a lower price if you wait. However, in some instances the cruise will sell out. Even if it doesn't, the cabin selection will be minimal. In general, the best time to book is as soon as possible, particular if you want a certain cabin like an aft balcony or a suite.

book on opening day for best cabin, then check faithfully every single day till final payment for price drops.

When there is a price drop, do you just call your TA or Celebrity (how ever you booked) and they will give you the lower price? Refund or OBC?

On an earlier thread, someone posted a site which showed that with Celebrity and a number of other nice lines, the prices pretty much stayed as is, or went up with time, so waiting until the final booking dates can work to your disadvantage. I looked at the cruise we are on: although our stateroom type stayed the same, the airline cost went up, and staterooms such as inside when up in cost. It's a gamble, and the old idea of waiting for the end and the line then discounts what is left isn't true, at least from what I've seen. I'm sure it happens, but I don't think it's the norm at all, and you'll end up with a minimal choice and could pay more.

Denny

Celebrity has been outstanding about giving price drops to me on booked cruises. I never asked after final payment though. Thus, I would book when you decide which cruise you want.

I booked the Christmas/New Year's cruise early. One day it dropped significantly, and they credited the amount off the remaining balance I will pay. Since then it has gone up $l,200. EE gad. Last year I booked an early December cruise of NZ and AUS, and it dropped a large chunk, and I received the money off the total price due.

I have aways booked early to get the room we wanted to travel on the ship. We like to be in the very back rooms which seem to be very popular. This last trip we signed up, but entered into a "Infinity" forum for the trip. One of the fellow passengers decided they could not go, so they told the rest of the group the room they were in was going to be open. two of us got to change rooms, we took FV room at the side, and another took our room in the back.

I have always noticed that the "special" rooms that we all know and love will always go first. So I try to book the first few days or have my TA do it for me. Then it is true if there are upgrades or discounts given you should get them. (at least in my small experience). On one RCCL cruise I get upgraded three times. The rooms got bigger and the location got better.

:)

I have aways booked early to get the room we wanted to travel on the ship. We like to be in the very back rooms which seem to be very popular. This last trip we signed up, but entered into a "Infinity" forum for the trip. One of the fellow passengers decided they could not go, so they told the rest of the group the room they were in was going to be open. two of us got to change rooms, we took FV room at the side, and another took our room in the back.

I have always noticed that the "special" rooms that we all know and love will always go first. So I try to book the first few days or have my TA do it for me. Then it is true if there are upgrades or discounts given you should get them. (at least in my small experience). On one RCCL cruise I get upgraded three times. The rooms got bigger and the location got better.

:)

We started cruising right after 9-11 when the travel industry was sort of depressed. Then we could get good deals even 6-8 weeks out. But as time went on it became neccessary to book as early as possible, especially with Europe and Aust/NZ. We booked our first European cruise 13 mos ahead, Aust/NZ 12 mos (while on board Mercury), next year's S. Carib 12 mos ahead(while on board Mercury) and the Summit Med cruise 15 mos ahead, using the Passages program we signed up for in Jan. on Mercury. That got us OBC even though we weren't on a ship at booking.

If you know what you want, book it! He who hesitates is lost! :eek:

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cr/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit Classical Mediterranean

I book as soon as I know what we want to do, often on the first day an itinerary is released. We booked our upcoming TA + Baltics B2B on the first day the itinerary was released and the aft cabins were already gone. I know how this can happen as for one itinerary I had told my TA what we were looking for (one of only 4 cabins of a particular type on one of the small Oceania ships) and she went ahead and booked it for us (calling first, of course) the minute the TA's got the itinerary, but before it was released to the general public.

Archived