In Skagway?

atdahop

Is it better to rent a car or do the Yukon Rail tour? We were there over ten years ago and did the Rail tour and Liarsville and wondered if we would benefit from a land tour on our own. Is it possible to go to the sleddog camp on our own or do you need to book a tour?

Thanks,

Carole

The reason I would choose the WP&YR tour is because I get to sit back and enjoy the scenery and the naration. If we drive, I drive, I don't get to see all the scenery and there is not naration except for what is coming from the lady in the right seat.;)

The RR has its fans. We prefer to rent a car. The scenery over the Pass is spectacular either way. In the car we get to stop at our leisure and enjoy the views in a different way.

With a car you can drive up the road a bit for lunch at Spirit Lake instead of the mass BBQ at Caribou Crossing, and then time your arrival at Caribou Crossing for just AFTER all the tour buses depart. You can make an independent reservation for the dog camp and cart rides, as well as the ATV rides, at http://www.cariboucrossing.ca

Check out our review and pics, including the dog carts, at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

The RR has its fans. We prefer to rent a car. The scenery over the Pass is spectacular either way. In the car we get to stop at our leisure and enjoy the views in a different way.

With a car you can drive up the road a bit for lunch at Spirit Lake instead of the mass BBQ at Caribou Crossing, and then time your arrival at Caribou Crossing for just AFTER all the tour buses depart. You can make an independent reservation for the dog camp and cart rides, as well as the ATV rides, at http://www.cariboucrossing.ca

Check out our review and pics, including the dog carts, at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks MercedMike for the tips. Is there only 1 restaurant/lunch spot in Spirit Lake?

We decided that we are going to rent a car in Skagway when we are there in August. Has anyone used the Sourdough Car Rental Company in Skagway. I know there is also the Avis, but would prefer to go with the Mom & Pop business unless there are any concerns? Thanks!

Thanks MercedMike for the tips. Is there only 1 restaurant/lunch spot in Spirit Lake?

There are 2 places - the Cinnamon Cache at the south end and Spirit Lake Lodge a half-mile past that. Both specialize in soup-and sandwich lunches with great desserts (or sweet snacks?) - in particular, cinnamon buns at the Cinnamon Cache and Dutch apple pie at Spirit Lake.

Sourdough has a small stock of older vehicles of many types, but has been in business for many years. There have been some concerns expressed about the cleanliness of vehicles sometimes, but I noticed last year that they now have a maintenance yard and I've seen no negative reports since then.

Murray

We decided that we are going to rent a car in Skagway when we are there in August. Has anyone used the Sourdough Car Rental Company in Skagway. I know there is also the Avis, but would prefer to go with the Mom & Pop business unless there are any concerns? Thanks!

I've posted this on the board, but just thought I'd mention it again. I called to rent a car from Avis and was told they were sold out. I also went on Avis online and it confirmed, "sold out".

So, I called Sourdough car rental and will be renting a Tauras from this company. The cost is $ 80 for the day, including all taxes and unlimited mileage. We will be cruising the week of August 23rd.

• 3 weeks later...
I've posted this on the board, but just thought I'd mention it again. I called to rent a car from Avis and was told they were sold out. I also went on Avis online and it confirmed, "sold out".

So, I called Sourdough car rental and will be renting a Tauras from this company. The cost is $ 80 for the day, including all taxes and unlimited mileage. We will be cruising the week of August 23rd.

Thanks for the information. I am also cruising on August 23, 08 on the Statendam and am planning to rent a car to go to Carcross as my excursion from Skagway. What ship are you sailing on and are you in Skagway on August 26 as well?

Nathan / Toronto

:D I can just see us ... a whole convoy of rental cars on this drive with each front seat passenger holding Murray's Guide.

furlong, I saw your post about having difficulty renting a car and driving into Canada as a Canadian resident. Wish I could help, sorry.

The reason I would choose the WP&YR tour is because I get to sit back and enjoy the scenery and the naration. If we drive, I drive, I don't get to see all the scenery and there is not naration except for what is coming from the lady in the right seat.;)

I love it!!

But this is so true!!!

Mike

What is the best time to get there to avoid the mass crowd???

With a car you can drive up the road a bit for lunch at Spirit Lake instead of the mass BBQ at Caribou Crossing, and then time your arrival at Caribou Crossing for just AFTER all the tour buses depart. Have a GREAT cruise!

If we drive, I drive, I don't get to see all the scenery and there is not naration except for what is coming from the lady in the right seat.;)

LOL!! This reminds me of a quote: "When I leave this world, I will not slip away quietly into the night. Instead, I want to leave this world yelling and swearing, just like the passengers did in my Grandfather's car."

Archived