12 day Mediterrean cruise.. PLANTAR FASCITIS.... shoes???

I sympathize with your foot pain. I've had surgery on both of my feet for PF. Unfortunately, shots, therapy, night splints, being casted, etc didn't work on either of my feet.

Custom orthotics are the best...but you probably don't have time to have any made. A couple of other people mentioned brands of off-the-shelf orthotics. Spenco also makes one as well. I'd recommend getting a pair ASAP, since your feet need time to adjust to them.

As far as shoes, I wear New Balance #926 whenever I'll be walking for more than a 1/2 hour. They're ugly as sin and expensive, but they have built in motion control, which is a god-send to my feet. I wear my custom orthotics in them. If I'm not wearing these, I like Birkenstocks (but they take awhile to break in), Chaco sandals (the strap on kind), and Crocs (for short distances). I like Dansko's for dressier shoes.

It's very important to never go barefoot...even in the house. I have an old pair of Birkenstock clogs that I use as house slippers. Whatever you use, you need good arch support at all times.

Lots of people will recommended a brand of tennis shoe. The important thing to remember is that different styles of shoes are made on different shoe lasts. For example, one style of New Balance might be made for a person with a narrow heel and a wide toe box, another might be made more neutral, etc, etc. I like to go on Zappos.com to "investigate" shoes, and find out more about them. I'm lucky to have an excellent shoe store near me that has a pedorthist (sp?) on staff. I take my orthotics with me, and they recommend shoes based on my foot problems. Then, they watch me walk in them to see my gait. I must have tried 25-30 different pair of tennis shoes before I found this store, and they fitted me with my first pair of New Balance 926's. After I found the "right" shoe, I went from being able to walk only 30 minutes at a time (before extreme pain), to almost all day long.

Be sure to take lots of ibuprofen (Advil) with you. Start off your day with it, and take it every 4 hours during the day. It will reduce the inflammation, unlike something like Tylenol. Be sure to take it with food as it can irritate your stomach.

Like others said, ice your foot in the evenings. At home, a good idea is to use a frozen water bottle, and "roll" it under your arch on the floor.

If you haven't started therapy yet, here are a couple of good exercises. Stand about 3 feet or so away from the wall, facing the wall. Place your palms flat on the wall, and gently let yourself come toward the wall. You should feel a gentle stretch in your arch. It it hurts, stand closer to the wall. Another exercise is to sit on the floor or bed, and gently pull your toes toward you using a narrowly folded bath towel. Again, gentle is the key word...you shouldn't be feeling pain. The ABC exercise that someone else suggested is also good. Do a google search for plantar fasciitis exercises, and you'll find more exercises to do. The purposes of the exercises is to stretch the band of tissue in your arch. Contrary to popular belief, the heel spur isn't what actually causes the pain...it's the tightness/inflammation of that arch tissue.

I hope you find some relief before your cruise. I had a Disney vacation practically ruined because of my foot pain.

Sherry7... THANKS so very much :) for taking time to write me/respond to my post. I appreciate all your words of wisdom and experience!!! I will be taking every bit of it to heart!!!!! :D

Every coffee shop I've been to in Italy had two prices - one for standing at the counter and one for sitting at the table. No difference between local or tourist. Now, most places I've walked into the locals are standing at the bar and it's the tourists who are sitting. But, if you're desperate to give your feet a rest, you'll be willing to pay the extra. And, no, you can't get your coffee/drink/panini at the bar and then walk to the table. They'll get you for a service charge.

Unlike the US these places must pay a minimuum wage if the employees are not family members. Tips are just rounded to the nearest, well, back when, the nearest 1,000 lire or about .50 to $1. Probably half a euro now but what a deal........sipping a caffe or having a light lunch in an ancient piazza.

Dispite all the posts about NOT wearing 'running' shoes or 'athletic' shoes I will HAVE to do that and not care what others think. If I were single and 22 then maybe I would sacrifice my feet in severe pain to look cute, but at nearly 45 who gives a #$%^& :p

I had it in my foot/heel a few years ago. I too got the cortisone injections which did help quite a but for me. My podiatrist also made orthotics for my shoes which also helped considerably. They were between $300-$400 for the pair. A very wise investment and I use them faithfully still (unless I'm in a sandal). Since having them made I've seen them popping up in stores everywhere. For me being overweight at the time was causing part of the issue so I joined WW and lost weight. That also helped and I rarely have any issues now but still use the orthotics. I'd ask your podiatrist to reccomend some that you can try. Wear those sneakers and I promise you that you will not be the only person wearing them nor will you feel out of place. Walmart has a line of sandals called Earth something and they got me through a couple summers when my feet were hurting. They have a gel heel that cushions your heels. Awesome sandals for anyone with this issue. Everyone was reccomending New Balance sneakers so I grabbed a pair to try. They weren't for me and my feet let me know pretty quickly. When I mentioned this to my podiatrist he said they were over rated and alot of people can't wear them. Instead I found Reebok makes a really good sneaker with cushioned heels. Good Luck on your cruise and I hope your feet survive :)

Unlike the US these places must pay a minimuum wage if the employees are not family members. Tips are just rounded to the nearest, well, back when, the nearest 1,000 lire or about .50 to $1. Probably half a euro now but what a deal........sipping a caffe or having a light lunch in an ancient piazza.

Maybe I misspoke. I wasn't talking about a tip as the service charge. If you look at what someone is charged for a caffe standing at the bar vs sitting at a table, they are different prices. That's what I meant by "service charge." But, if the feet are hurting, I'll gladly pay the extra money for that caffe!

Oh, my physical therapist reminded me to stretch my foot against the wall (toes up on the wall, trying to "push" the ball of your foot down onto the floor) frequently when my Achilles is bothering me. It also works for PF, so be sure to try it - any wall, door, tree, etc, will work.

My husband had PF so bad that finally he went to a foot doctor. I knew his foot hurt because to get him to a doctor is something quite rare. Anyway, the doctor had him wear this green contraption every night that pulled his foot into a stretched position. If you bend your foot down that stresses the plantar tendon (Is that what it is, a tendon?). So the contraption pulled the foot up so he couldn't point it down at night. He said it wasn't too uncomfortable, just bulky.

He wore that a couple months until it broke. Then he found a similar thing at FootSmart.com, buit it didn't fit quite so well. The one from the doctor was custom-fit. But wearing that doggone thing every night did eventually "cure" Hubby's PF. He hasn't needed it in a year. I'll see if I can find the link to what I am talking about. OK. Here is a link to the splint.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Night-Splint-Passive-FootSmart-10097.aspx

On further thought, I do highly reccommend heel cups or shields to cushion your heels when you are wearing shoes. Dr Scholls makes them, but again Foot Smart has a variety of heel guards or cushions also. They add so much comfort to painful heels and they last forever.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Posture-Corrective-Heel-Cups-10211.aspx

"Try Crocs RX...they have a style that is supposed to be good for plantar fasciitis."

and I just read an article that Crocs are the worse thing for heel spurs. I have had this problem twice in the past and it eventually went away but when I was suffering the only shoes that helped me were Berkenstock. It's funny because that was the only time that I found Berkies to be comfortable. The first time I had a cortisone shot it helped me - the second time I didn't seem to get much relief. Good luck and I hope you get relief quickly.

I am a physio.Orthotics are the way to go but if you need a quick solution the best thing is to get some sports strapping tape,the first piece should go on the side of your foot from the base of your big toe round the heel to the base of your little toe(This makes your heel "fatter" i.e.more cushion) then take three or four shorter pieces and strap up your arch,side to side starting just under the ball of the foot to the start of the heel.these pieces do not need to go round the foot,just attach to the first piece of tape.I always start

these pieces on the inside of the foot so that you can pull up the arch.Make sure it is firm but not too tight to be uncomfortable.We used to do this for ballet dancers ,whose feet are subject to much abuse and suffer from PF with a vengeance!!This is a temporary measure as an emergency for long hours on feet!!Remember to remove when you get back and do the ice thing for about 20 minutes..the ice bottle is an excellent idea.

Have a good trip.

I also had p.f. and suffered for years. Then I went on the Atkins Diet to lose weight. I didn't lose that much weight, and I was miserable, hungry all the time (most people don't have the same response--they report not being hungry and losing a lot of weight), BUT the one thing I discovered was that my pain was gone. I did some reading at heelspurs dot com and found that others were finding that a low-carb, high protein diet was helping them as well. It has to do with lactic acid, they think.

Anyway, it's worth trying for a few weeks unless there is some medical reason for not doing it.

By the way, I lasted only a month on that diet, lost 10 pounds, but I gained it back quickly as soon as I went off.

I had the same problem several years ago. I tried the shots, tried the insert, but straping did the most good. The biggest problem with heel spurs is that the tendon running down your arch is the problem. You need to lift up your arch so that it can heal. I straped my arch with a long strip of tape running long ways on my arch. Then I used three pieces of the largest tape I could find. At the time, I used 3 inch tape, because I could order it at Walmart. Then I made an insert for my tie shoes. My problem was finding shoes that fit with the insert. I made a pattern, and cut some material up. I sewed them together and stuffed with stuffing. I closed them up and put them in my shoes under my arch. It felt like I had a big rock in my shoe. It really felt strange. But after a couple of days, the insert was smashed down, and was holding up my arch. It wasn't uncomfortable anymore, and the pain in my arch was getting less and less. After a couple of months, I realized one morning after getting out of bed, that my heel spur wasn't hurting anymore. That was about 15 years ago, and I haven't had a problem since. Except for my other foot, and I corrected it the same way. If I feel like I am going to do a lot of walking, I put the insert I made back in my shoe, and it prevents my foot from hurting.

I know you have a short time, but I know what I did will help you. As long as you are holding up the arch, there is less pain. You will start walking around and will be surprised that you don't feel much pain.

Maybe I misspoke. I wasn't talking about a tip as the service charge. If you look at what someone is charged for a caffe standing at the bar vs sitting at a table, they are different prices. That's what I meant by "service charge." But, if the feet are hurting, I'll gladly pay the extra money for that caffe!

Oh, my physical therapist reminded me to stretch my foot against the wall (toes up on the wall, trying to "push" the ball of your foot down onto the floor) frequently when my Achilles is bothering me. It also works for PF, so be sure to try it - any wall, door, tree, etc, will work.

I did. Sorry. There is a seperate "coperto" or cover for tables. Some restaurants list it as a cover while bars may just add it to the price of their goods. Where tourists get hit are in many places that advertise tourist menus. They have a service charge, cover, pane (bread) and a tip stated even for a single diner where Americans are used to a specific tip for large groups.

Any ideas for arthritic toes and spasms that set off serious pain?

The taping is good. My physio will do it for me when I leave PT so I have it for the rest of the day. Otherwise, I'm a klutz when it comes to taping. Fortunately, he will tape it for me anytime I wander by before an activity.

As for night splints, one of the problems with them is the bulkiness, which reduces compliance many times. I got one at the recommendation of my physio to help with stretching my Achilles and working on my dorsiflexion post surgery for my tib/fib fractures. The one I got is the AliMed D2 Night Splint. It's extremely lightweight. It has an adjustable flexion band, so keep stretching as you get more limber. It's easy to put on. I've had mine since the end of February and wear it 99% of the time to bed. It's very packable, so it's easy to remember to take it on vacation. It's not the cheapest splint, but it's not the most expensive. The comfort, which lets me actually wear it, is worth the price I paid.

While finishing my teaching credential, I developed the worst case of PF. I tried everything, including taping and rolling an ice bottle under my foot. My podiatrist gave me a cortisone injection and I had complete relief the next day. He said to make sure I do regular stretching exercises for my calf. The ER doctor where I used to work said to take an anti-inflammatory medication like Advil every 6-8 hours as soon as symptoms appear and continue for 7 days. A coworker followed this advice and had good results. As for orthotics and the splint, I had no relief. I only had a PF episode that one time several years ago and the only thing that helped was the cortisone injection. I hope you feel better fast.

These shoes made it possible for me to walk places again and I never had to break them in. They are made for people with plantar fasciitis and the support is fantastic. I already ordered another pair to keep for the day when I have to replace my original shoes.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Ecco-Womens-RXP-3060-Running-Shoes-71978.aspx

I also found Crocs to be another shoe that I could wear. I think it's because the material feels the same as in orthodics.

Plantar fasciitis was the most painful condition I have had in a long time. It's sort of like a constant toothache in your foot that can bring you to tears. I really hope you can find something to give you relief. Those Ecco shoes are fantastic.

My doctor suggested to me: First thing, every morning, walk around the bedroom up on my tip-toes. I do it every day. It does help me.

On cruises, the one thing I've figured out: Those meals in the dining room can sometimes stretch out. As you all know, PF hurts the most after non-activity. So I don't need to use my cane every night, I try to keep my foot tucked under the chair, in an up-on-my-tip-toes position. I find this helps a little too. I do this when I'm at my desk, as well.

There are a lot of good tips posted here. You may want to try some of them and see what works best for you. The good news is - you're going on a cruise! :)

OK.... I have read many thread regarding shoes and there are many opinions out there.

My big concern is I have current active VERY painful Plantar Fascitis in both heels/feet right now. Seeing a foot DR and going to physical therapy to try and get my feet in better less painful condition before our 3 weeks in Europe that is FILLED with very long day trips/excursions and touring.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I plan to get yet ANOTHER :eek: cortisone shot in both feet before we go. Last time I did that, it didn't help much anymore :(

From personal experience my podiatrist made permanent orthotics in Mephisto walking sandals and an extra pair of removable ones for my dress shoes . At least once a week I visited the Reflexologist on board.

For a port intensive 22 day trip it seemed to work. Good luck!

I have had this problem for years, and always have to get shots before we go on our trips, but for everyday use, the best thing that I have found is the Cushi Heel Pillow. A lady at our Church told me about them, and I have to say I have been using them for about four years now, and they have helped when other things did not, shots, therapy, etc. I buy the extra large Imen's size) because they are thicker and wear them in my athletic shoes. I even use two pair at a time!I get them from a company called Caulderon. You can go online and check them out. cushi2.jpg

I have to add my voice to those who praise Birkenstocks for PF. I never really considered myself to be a Birkenstock type as far as style is concerned, but I am now a convert. Running shoes are too soft and I need a firm sole and high arch support. Birkenstocks do take a while to break in, but they are divinely comfortable eventually. Check out Zappo's for several different styles.

Archived