12 day Mediterrean cruise.. PLANTAR FASCITIS.... shoes???

OK.... I have read many thread regarding shoes and there are many opinions out there.

My big concern is I have current active VERY painful Plantar Fascitis in both heels/feet right now. Seeing a foot DR and going to physical therapy to try and get my feet in better less painful condition before our 3 weeks in Europe that is FILLED with very long day trips/excursions and touring.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I plan to get yet ANOTHER :eek: cortisone shot in both feet before we go. Last time I did that, it didn't help much anymore :(

Wow, having had PF, I know how painful it can be. I wish you the best of luck with all the walking.

I would think that discussing options with your doctor is the best way to go. The shoes that one person finds perfect may be not so great on another. Comfort is important but so is good support. And having a shoe that you can use custom cushioning or orthotics in may be the best answer.

Physical therapy should help you. I've had heel spurs twice and it's very painful. My sister was successful with the cortisone shots - but I've never had treatment. What helped me was using the exercises which my father's doctor had given him. Good luck and get some comfy shoes.

Dispite all the posts about NOT wearing 'running' shoes or 'athletic' shoes I will HAVE to do that and not care what others think. If I were single and 22 then maybe I would sacrifice my feet in severe pain to look cute, but at nearly 45 who gives a #$%^& :p

Try Birkenstocks and Mesphitos. They helped me -- didn't cure them, but at least I would be able to walk. If you get them at Zappos.com and wear them around the house and feel no help, you can return them.

I agree with the advice of a previous poster--custom orthotics. I've done 2 European cruises with my orthotics( still wearing pretty, sensible shoes/sneakers) and they were a blessing. I have PF in both feet and sleep with the night splint often. Orthotics take quite awhile to order and get the fit right, so I don't know how much time you have to get a pair made. 3 weeks may not be enough. Definately follow the advice of your doctor.

Enjoy your trip!

Missyal

I too have current, active PF in my left heel that has migrated to the side of my foot(and the heel pain is gone). I have two weeks until we leave for a 12 day med cruise. One of the safeguards we put into place is private tours in five of the ports to cut down on the walking. I have told myself that I will do what i can and be prepared(medicinally and footwise). Im fairly healthy and active but this foot thing is getting to me.

I have told myself that if my foot hurts too much in Dubrovnik, Santorini, or Venice(our DIY ports), I do what i can for a couple hours and head back to the ship. I have several pairs of sneakers and a couple pairs of walking sandals. Im forty and consider myself stylish but when it comes to my feet, they rule.

So here are my suggestions.

Sneaker recommendation:

I tried the Easy Spirit Travel Time sneaker mules.

I realize that podiatrists say that open back shoes are not good for PF but they fit comfortably and provide cushioning on both the sides and the heel. So comfortable that I am not bringing a proper pair of sneakers. Caution however, the removable foot socks(insoles) wear out in a couple of months of moderate activity. I bought brand new ones for our cruise as they really need very little breaking in.

Sandal reccomendation:

I really like the Clarks Fairview. I bought the wide(though i didnt really need it) and the cushioning was substantial and hasnt worn down. It is leather, arch support good and cushioned heel. I can wear them with capris and if my foot hurts at night, you'll see me wearing them to dinner.

I bought Merrell walking sandals as well. San Remo, Siena, and another i cant remember. I have spent a fortune but Merrells, Clarks and Easy Spirit have saved my vacation. I will be sore for sure, but i will medicate, ice, elevate and repeat each night when i get back.

I wish you luck. I feel your pain.

I have bought from Zappos. They do cost a bit more but there are free shipping and free returns. I buy as many as i return with no apologies.

Good Luck,

Nora

Several years ago, the ortho guy i went to said that the first thing you should do every morning before you get out of bed is....and Im not joking...

"write" the alphabet with each of your feet. Twice.

By doing so, it stretches your ligs and tends etc in all the necessary positions. While its not a cure, I have been doing it every morning for years. It loosens up the feet and anyone with PF knows that those first steps in the morning make you want to cry as you feel like your 90 years old!!

Try it. It may help.

Nora

I had pf bad from playing floor hockey in old running shoes. the trick is cushion support.....I was advised by friends to not not go for customs orthotics but to buy the best of the retail ones....I think these were about $30 each. I also went with new running shoes with good arch supports. try and break these in a bit before doing much walking. black runners aren't that bad with a tux either.

have a great trip

I have PF (among other foot issues) and managed 2 months of backpacking in Europe with walking as a main mode of transportation. I have custom orthotics that have changed my life - I would recommend them to anyone with PF / foot issues.

I really don't wear runners / athletic shoes anywhere other than the gym but I had no choice on this trip. I must have tried on 20 pairs of shoes that I dismissed as "so ugly I won't be caught dead in them". I finally found a pair of North Face walking shoes that I absolutely love! They are not hikers but are quite sturdy - something that I have found really causes me pain is the soles of the shoes being too flexible. Before I left I put my shoes on and got them completely wet and walked around for awhile - I feel that they really took on the shape of my feet and orthotics.

For warm weather (and even cold weather) I wear Birks. I've tried others but always go back to my birkies.

I've tried more than 1 style of Crocs with no success.

Ugh, bless your heart, I feel your pain - have had the same thing. Birkenstocks are way too hard for my feet. Asics running shoes are the BEST shoes I have found. Crocs (and the Crocs Athens flip flops) have been a life saver for me. On Zappos, they have really detailed descriptions of the special features of the running shoes......that has helped me select which Asics models to try - also has customer reviews where people rate the arch support and that's very helpful. There's also a method of taping your foot - have you heard of this? Can't remember where I found it online, but google it..........looks weird and seems like a strange thing to do, but it did help me.

Buying 'good' shoes with a medium heel helped me.

I went to 'walking on a cloud' shoe store and spent over $300 on 2 pair of shoes, but they lasted me over a year and a half wearing them to work every day and standing a lot in them. The clerk recommended buying a pair with some heel when I explained the problem to her.

I'm 9 months out from surgery for a shattered left fibula with a dislocated left tibia. I was in various casts until mid-February, when I had another surgery to remove 2 of the 13 screws put in. My Achilles tendon is extremely tight, even 4 months into physical therapy. Part of what we're doing is the same as what is recommended for PF. The night splint is one thing - if you don't use one, get one. Second is to get a good pair of running shoes that are "control" shoes, not "cushion". The control shoes tend to have more support of the arch, which helps with PF. If you go to RoadRunner Sports, they categorize most of the runners available. Third, get a pair of orthotics. My therapist had me buy a good off the shelf pair first to see if they would help enough to not have to get customs. The ones I have are the Superfeet Greens. They have worked great. I also bought a pair of Superfeet black half insoles to put into my shoes that don't have removable insoles - totally worth the money. They allowed me to still use some of my casual flats that had no arch to speak of. I just had a week's vacation where I was on my feet, either walking around or standing at the craps table (I came out $265 ahead!) for hours at a time. I used both insoles, Greens in the day and blacks at night.

If you don't already have exercises from your therapist, ask for a list of things you can do on the ship. Make the time to do them every day.

Be sure to take some extra zip top bags with you -the gallon size and a little elastic wrap. When you come back from walking around ports, ask your room attendant to fill it with ice and put it around the back and underside of your foot. Use the wrap to keep it in place. Put your foot up and enjoy a glass of beverage of your choice for awhile. Be sure to pack plenty of ibuprofen and don't be afraid to use it to help with the pain. Good luck!

Several years ago, the ortho guy i went to said that the first thing you should do every morning before you get out of bed is....and Im not joking...

"write" the alphabet with each of your feet. Twice.

By doing so, it stretches your ligs and tends etc in all the necessary positions. While its not a cure, I have been doing it every morning for years. It loosens up the feet and anyone with PF knows that those first steps in the morning make you want to cry as you feel like your 90 years old!!

Try it. It may help.

Nora

That's right! I forgot about that. Mine also told me that when I finished the alphabet to "count" from 1 to 10.

There's also a method of taping your foot - have you heard of this? Can't remember where I found it online, but google it..........looks weird and seems like a strange thing to do, but it did help me.

A friend of mine who is a walking quadriplegic, yes with the fast, newer interventions some lucky ones walk out of rehab, that swears by these:

http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-Plantar-Fasciitis-Support-10102.aspx

Venice is actually not too bad on feet if you're an art lover. Most art is in churches. Even St Marks. Churches have pews and they're cool. You may also want to pay the euro or whatever more at bars/cafes to sit at a table for your cappucinos or aperritifs instead of standing at the bar.

I sympathize with your foot pain. I've had surgery on both of my feet for PF. Unfortunately, shots, therapy, night splints, being casted, etc didn't work on either of my feet.

Custom orthotics are the best...but you probably don't have time to have any made. A couple of other people mentioned brands of off-the-shelf orthotics. Spenco also makes one as well. I'd recommend getting a pair ASAP, since your feet need time to adjust to them.

As far as shoes, I wear New Balance #926 whenever I'll be walking for more than a 1/2 hour. They're ugly as sin and expensive, but they have built in motion control, which is a god-send to my feet. I wear my custom orthotics in them. If I'm not wearing these, I like Birkenstocks (but they take awhile to break in), Chaco sandals (the strap on kind), and Crocs (for short distances). I like Dansko's for dressier shoes.

It's very important to never go barefoot...even in the house. I have an old pair of Birkenstock clogs that I use as house slippers. Whatever you use, you need good arch support at all times.

Lots of people will recommended a brand of tennis shoe. The important thing to remember is that different styles of shoes are made on different shoe lasts. For example, one style of New Balance might be made for a person with a narrow heel and a wide toe box, another might be made more neutral, etc, etc. I like to go on Zappos.com to "investigate" shoes, and find out more about them. I'm lucky to have an excellent shoe store near me that has a pedorthist (sp?) on staff. I take my orthotics with me, and they recommend shoes based on my foot problems. Then, they watch me walk in them to see my gait. I must have tried 25-30 different pair of tennis shoes before I found this store, and they fitted me with my first pair of New Balance 926's. After I found the "right" shoe, I went from being able to walk only 30 minutes at a time (before extreme pain), to almost all day long.

Be sure to take lots of ibuprofen (Advil) with you. Start off your day with it, and take it every 4 hours during the day. It will reduce the inflammation, unlike something like Tylenol. Be sure to take it with food as it can irritate your stomach.

Like others said, ice your foot in the evenings. At home, a good idea is to use a frozen water bottle, and "roll" it under your arch on the floor.

If you haven't started therapy yet, here are a couple of good exercises. Stand about 3 feet or so away from the wall, facing the wall. Place your palms flat on the wall, and gently let yourself come toward the wall. You should feel a gentle stretch in your arch. It it hurts, stand closer to the wall. Another exercise is to sit on the floor or bed, and gently pull your toes toward you using a narrowly folded bath towel. Again, gentle is the key word...you shouldn't be feeling pain. The ABC exercise that someone else suggested is also good. Do a google search for plantar fasciitis exercises, and you'll find more exercises to do. The purposes of the exercises is to stretch the band of tissue in your arch. Contrary to popular belief, the heel spur isn't what actually causes the pain...it's the tightness/inflammation of that arch tissue.

I hope you find some relief before your cruise. I had a Disney vacation practically ruined because of my foot pain.

It just BLOWS my mind:mad: that they charge to sit at a table and eat. Wonder if they charge locals or just take advantage of the weary tourists??

I don't think all of the places charge. When I was in Spain and Portugal last fall, I didn't notice any extra charges on my bill.

I'm a guy and have the same problem in both feet, and here is what works for me.

Crocs flip flops, some of the best things I have tried, I walked 4 of the 5 miles of walking paths at the zoo and my feet felt ok no limping.

Powerstep inserts, an off the shelf orthodic, from heelspurs.com I am on my feet all day 8 hours and they improve the situation 90% (and I stand on hard tile floors), I have these in New balance running shoes.

Birkenstocks, I just got these, I am just now breaking them in and I can already tell that they are going to be phenomenal, although on the first couple days I wasn't so sure. If you get these, give them time to break in. I have the unisex classic Arizona style.

Hope this helps

MAC

It just BLOWS my mind that they charge to sit at a table and eat. Wonder if they charge locals or just take advantage of the weary tourists??

Every coffee shop I've been to in Italy had two prices - one for standing at the counter and one for sitting at the table. No difference between local or tourist. Now, most places I've walked into the locals are standing at the bar and it's the tourists who are sitting. But, if you're desperate to give your feet a rest, you'll be willing to pay the extra. And, no, you can't get your coffee/drink/panini at the bar and then walk to the table. They'll get you for a service charge.

Archived