Current Dress Code and Formal Night

Mark

Just because it is permitted' date=' doesn't make it appropriate.:cool:[/quote']

And why is it not appropriate? You often quote the rules from the brochure and Carnival now had changed its dress code. As you are so

quick to tell others, read the guidelines, its OK.

I don't have a problem with the changes made in the dress code, especially in light of the airline baggage situation. I don't know why they have a list of items that are restricted as I have yet to see them enforced. I'm talking specifically about the wife beater shirts and ball caps. :(

And why is it not appropriate? You often quote the rules from the brochure and Carnival now had changed its dress code. As you are so

quick to tell others, read the guidelines, its OK.

I'm not questioning whether or not it's OK. I am aware of the new, more relaxed dress codes (I cruise Carnival 2/3 times a year).

What I SAID was that simply because something is allowed or "OK" that doesn't mean it's appropriate.

It's OK to wear shorts and a halter top to church or a funeral or the symphony, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate.

As you can see from the definition, there is a big difference between "acceptable" and "appropriate"

ap·pro·pri·ate [ ə prṓpree ət ]

adjective Definition: fitting: suitable for the occasion or circumstances

Acceptable \Ac*cept"a*ble\ (-s[e^]pt"[.a]*b'l; 277), a. [F.

acceptable, L. acceptabilis, fr. acceptare.]

Capable, worthy, or sure of being accepted

And, please be careful addressing people directly by the use of the word "you". This could be construed as fingerpointing or otherwise casting apsersions upon an individual. It is much better to address the issues...rather than the poster.

I think those Bobbies in Bermuda look mighty cute in them... ;)

I agree 100%. So do those fellas who go to work in a suit with Bermuda length pants.... I may be reaching "geezer" stage but I surely enjoy a well turned-out fella....!!:D :D

Appropriate is nothing but another word for opinion. It is an empty word that relies on shared values for meaning. I don't share your values so you will need to come up with something else.

Well, no, there is a definition of the word "appropriate". Look a little further on here and you will find it...... Shared values has little to do with what is appropriate and what is not; it either is - or it isn't...there is no grey area except culturally.

You are on a mass market cruise line, not a traditional ocean liner. Wear what you want (that fits the suggestions) and forget about everyone else.

Wow, just wow.

So, the "masses" are not expected to maintain decorum? Or, does this statement mean the "masses" aren't able to differentiate between McDonald's and dining? Are the "masses" so feeble-minded that one cannot expect them to behave and dress civily?

That attitude went out with the French Revolution.....

I'm not questioning whether or not it's OK. I am aware of the new' date=' more relaxed dress codes (I cruise Carnival 2/3 times a year).

What I SAID was that simply because something is allowed or "OK" that doesn't mean it's appropriate.

[/quote']

You can play your little games all you want. Because you clearly knew we were talking specifically about it being appropriate on Carnival in the dining room on casual night.

Let me refresh your memory. The post below is what you quoted to.

News flash!! It is now appropriate to wear shorts in the main dining room on cruise casual;)

Why......are you trying to convince otherwise:confused: ;)

Just because it is permitted' date=' doesn't make it appropriate.:cool:[/quote']

I agree whole heartedly. And that is why Tuxedos are definitely inappropriate for Carnival with the new dress code. Just because Carnival says you can wear them, doesn't mean they are appropriate. Nothing like being over dressed for the occassion. :D

I agree whole heartedly. And that is why Tuxedos are definitely inappropriate for Carnival with the new dress code. Just because Carnival says you can wear them, doesn't mean they are appropriate. Nothing like being over dressed for the occassion. :D

WHAT??????? :eek:

I'll have mine on! That way, you'll know it's me! :p

Well' date=' no, there is a definition of the word "appropriate". Look a little further on here and you will find it...... Shared values has little to do with what is appropriate and what is not; it either is - or it isn't...there is no grey area except culturally.[/quote']

ap·pro·pri·ate [ ə prṓpree ət ]

No gray area? How much experience do you actually have in analyzing words and language? Not much I can gather from your statements of certainty. All language is inherently ambiguous.

Providing a definition does not answer my issue. I am not concerned with the definition. A definition is merely defining a term by the use of other terms. If the underlying terms have ambiguity, then the term itself is ambiguous.

Your definition of "appropriate" only tells me that it means "fitting" and "suitable for the occassion or circumstances".

But who determines "fitting" and who determines "suitability"? If two people have different views on fitting and suitability, then "appropriate" takes on two different meanings. Hence, I am correct that the word essentially means nothing unless the relevant parties share the same values and agree on what is appropriate.

It's OK to wear shorts and a halter top to church or a funeral or the symphony' date=' but that doesn't mean it's appropriate.

As you can see from the definition, there is a big difference between "acceptable" and "appropriate"

[/quote']

How can you speak for every church that is out there? You should get out more often because there are churches where what someone wears is not an issue, especially depending on the particular function occuring at the church.

You can play your little games all you want. Because you clearly knew we were talking specifically about it being appropriate on Carnival in the dining room on casual night.

Let me refresh your memory. The post below is what you quoted to.

Which little games? It is ACCEPTABLE on Carnival in the dining room on casual night.... That doesn't mean it's APPROPRIATE.

Many are unable to discern the difference between those two words.

By the time one reaches the age of reason and becomes an adult' date=' one can no longer blame their parents for the way they behave. Society will teach social grace and courtesy if you pay attention.

Those who don't learn by observing aren't paying attention, or they don't give a darn, or there is something missing in their persona.[/quote']

Exactly. So how one was raised doesn't come into play and questioning one's upbringing means nothing.

Just put him on your ignore list, Trock

It's pretty obvious you don't have me on your ignore list since you seem to respond to most of my posts with your predictable dribble. C'mon admit it; you look forward to my posts so you can underwhelm us with your response.

I agree 100%. So do those fellas who go to work in a suit with Bermuda length pants.... I may be reaching "geezer" stage but I surely enjoy a well turned-out fella....!!:D :D

You are no geezer, you are too feisty! And if you were, you can't appreciate that? LOL I loved walking past the courts and government buildings seeing those men go to work dressed in their shorts.. Something very attractive about it...:p

Expect this thread to go puff any minute because instead of discussing the pros and cons of the new dress guidelines -we are all guilty of making it personal.

It is what it is and everyone has a different perspective... Folks this is Carnival.. not Crystal, Not Hal etc...

As the VP of Carnival once said, they are very happy being the Walmart of the cruise industry.. and we all know they don't sell Tuxes at Walmart (inject humor here)

Okay - I've read enough...

:eek: I am a first time cruiser and I thought for sure I could glean some valuable information by reading this post. Wow - the valuable information and insight went an entirely different direction.

:( It is disheartening to see all the bickering and harsh tongue in this post after having read through hundreds of positive and exciting posts getting me more excited by the minute.

I don't disagree with either side of the discussion because it is up to each individual as to how they want to present themselves just as it is up to each individual as to whether they choose to acknowledge how others are dressed or the manner in which they behave.

There is one word that hasn't come up (that I saw) and that is respect for yourself and the occassion. Society as a whole is changing towards a more lazy and laid back environment and it is good that there are many who are still striving to maintain etiquette and going the extra steps. When all is said and done, I do have to agree with the premise of "just because it's appropriate doesn't make it right". Guidelines are put into place to give people options - The amount of respect and class you choose to be a part of is purely at the discretion of each individual.

I do want to thank everyone for their posts - I've made my mind up to go formal for "dinner elegant" out of respect for the fact that the cruiseline (even if it is Carnival) is doing everything they can to make it special for a mass number of people at one time and for those that choose to make it more of a casual environment - so be it... but that doesn't make it wrong.

I don't care about making this a memorable occasion for everyone else...and I don't care about any fashion police because I'm my own person and refuse to allow myself to fall prey to what society thinks. It's all about you, not your clothes.

This cruise is all about myself and my husband because life is too short to worry about what everyone else is wearing -- No, we're not old, we've just been brought up to respect ourselves and others and to take pride in everything we do and everything we become.:) So, even if I am the only one in a gown that night, we'll be enjoying every last minute of it with plenty of time to wear our casual clothes for the other 160+ hours of vacation when we're not eating in the dining room.:D

Wow' date=' just wow.

So, the "masses" are not expected to maintain decorum? Or, does this statement mean the "masses" aren't able to differentiate between McDonald's and dining? Are the "masses" so feeble-minded that one cannot expect them to behave and dress civily?

That attitude went out with the French Revolution.....[/quote']

You really should read what is written before you post more dribble.

The comment was wear what you want that is within the guidelines.

The host has spelled out what they deem acceptable. It is not your privilege to decide that it is too casual for your taste. If you want more than shorts on men and no suits and ties on formal night move to Seabourne.

Like it or not Carnival is a mass market line.

I'm not questioning whether or not it's OK. I am aware of the new' date=' more relaxed dress codes (I cruise Carnival 2/3 times a year).

It's OK to wear shorts and a halter top to church or a funeral or the symphony, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate.

ap·pro·pri·ate [ ə prṓpree ət ']

Acceptable \Ac*cept"a*ble\ (-s[e^]pt"[.a]*b'l; 277), a. [F.

acceptable, L. acceptabilis, fr. acceptare.]

Capable, worthy, or sure of being accepted

And, please be careful addressing people directly by the use of the word "you". This could be construed as fingerpointing or otherwise casting apsersions upon an individual. It is much better to address the issues...rather than the poster.

What a bunch of rubbish!!!:rolleyes:

I suppose YOU get to choose what's appropriate for everyone? Are

you the judge? If someone doesn't dress to your standards, its not

appropriate? Carnival relxed their rules, live with it,:rolleyes:

This thread has become WAY too funny. The OP only asked what was the current dress code for the dining room. A question that could have been easily answered by posting a link to Carnival's explanation on their website and wishing him well on his cruise. Instead the thread devolved into the definition of "acceptable". Next thing you know the definition of "is" will be debated.

For all this talk about what is appropriate and/or acceptable in the dining room, Carnival ultimately decides what is appropriate and/or acceptable for their dining room- not you, not me. If my wearing nice shorts in the dining room ruins someone else's good time, they have issues. Like a song says "I'm not trying to ruin your good time. But I darn sure a'int lettin' yours ruin mine."

If you want to wear a tux on elegant night - great, please do so. If you want to wear a nice suit and tie on elegant night, great. I will be in my buttondown dress shirt, slacks, and blazer. Wearing a tie doesn't give you class. Talk about "tradition" all you want, but elegant nights still exist primarily so Carnival can sell more pictures as most couples and families do not have many other opportunities to have their picture made while dressed up. If that is what they choose to do.

This thread has become WAY too funny. The OP only asked what was the current dress code for the dining room. A question that could have been easily answered by posting a link to Carnival's explanation on their website and wishing him well on his cruise. Instead the thread devolved into the definition of "acceptable". Next thing you know the definition of "is" will be debated.

For all this talk about what is appropriate and/or acceptable in the dining room, Carnival ultimately decides what is appropriate and/or acceptable for their dining room- not you, not me. If my wearing nice shorts in the dining room ruins someone else's good time, they have issues. Like a song says "I'm not trying to ruin your good time. But I darn sure a'int lettin' yours ruin mine."

If you want to wear a tux on elegant night - great, please do so. If you want to wear a nice suit and tie on elegant night, great. I will be in my buttondown dress shirt, slacks, and blazer. Wearing a tie doesn't give you class. Talk about "tradition" all you want, but elegant nights still exist primarily so Carnival can sell more pictures as most couples and families do not have many other opportunities to have their picture made while dressed up. If that is what they choose to do.

Exactly,.........nice post

What a bunch of rubbish!!!:rolleyes:

I suppose YOU get to choose what's appropriate for everyone? Are

you the judge? If someone doesn't dress to your standards, its not

appropriate? Carnival relxed their rules, live with it,:rolleyes:

Personal attacks are unwarranted. Please cease. One must be careful using the word "you".

Responding directly to your inquiry, that's not what I said at all. Sometimes one only sees what one wants to see. And---once again---for those who have trouble comprehending what they read, it isn't about Carnival's relaxed dress code, it's about what is - or is not - appropriate.

Personal attacks are unwarranted. Please cease. One must be careful using the word "you".

Responding directly to your inquiry' date=' that's not what I said at all. Sometimes one only sees what one wants to see. And---once again---for those who have trouble comprehending what they read, it isn't about Carnival's relaxed dress code, it's about what is - or is not - appropriate.[/quote']

Carnival sets a standard with its dress code and its enforcement of it. Allowing jeans and shorts in the dining room is the standard that they set, if they forbid these items in the dining room, then wearing them would be inappropriate. How can you not wrap your head around that?

You obviously feel that Carnival dining rooms are the pinnacle of formal dining, but they are not. Many of the cafes that I go to have table cloths and cloth napkins and metal flatware, they are not in any way formal. The dining room on the Carnival Glory resembled and oriental space ship more than an upscale dining venue, and the singing and dancing waiters didn't add much to the formal feel.

Using the word "one" to refer to others over and over in your posts doesn't make you sound more dignified or refined, but instead pompous.

MAC

Archived