Olympia/Katakolon on your own, Help?

what is the best way to do the winery and beaches on your own? Are the taxis available or are you better to book a car? We only have a half day stop and have already been to Olympia and prefer to do other things?

Thanks,

what is the best way to do the winery and beaches on your own? Are the taxis available or are you better to book a car? We only have a half day stop and have already been to Olympia and prefer to do other things?

Thanks,

better the comfort and relaxation of a taxi. Hire cars can give you driving and parking headaches. Do a deal with a taxi driver by the docks. :)

You might want to make advance plans. See how many ships are in port that day. When we were there in April there were three ships and the taxis wanted 100 euro for the round trip to Olympia and they aren't really willing to deal when they have several thousand people visiting for the day. I know you aren't interested in going back to Olympia but the 100 euro for 3 hours or so will still be the case.

Thanks,

Benny, our group rented a car to go to Olympia. The concern was when I checked portimes there were over 7,000 pax the day, the highest of any Noordam stop on our cruise. Some may be arriving later but I could not tell the times from this free site. Cruisecal has them but now apparently requires a fee.

Jade..it's a bit tedious I know, but once I've found which ships I'm in port with from porttime, I have then found their arrival/departure times by going on each ship's website & checking the itineries.

Well, I guess that's one way of doing it! I suppose it would be helpful to know both here and Santorini. Perhaps I will find the time this weekend...

Can you tell me if there were plenty of taxis available ( at 100 euros ) for a trip to Olympia for a few hours despite there being 3 ships in port? On our morning in Katakolon there will be a total of 4 cruise ships in port that morning (possibly up to 10 000 passengers). I am happy to pay 100 euros but I wondered if taxis might be in high demand. I have tried emailing a couple of private taxi drivers but they were booked up. Also what are our chances of being able to get on the train ( at 8.36) - our ship is in port 8 am to 2.30 pm.

Thanks for any advice or other suggestions for getting to Olympia.

theare you can visit the merkoyri winery and the beach agios andreas skafidia and kourouta by taxi

Many thanks for all the info, I am wondering which would be the nicest beach, Last time we were lucky to get a taxi to a nearby beach probably Agios Andreas, for around 20 Euro. Is it worth the extra money to go to Kourouta?

Would we have time to do the winery and Kourouta?

Sounds like we may be wise to prebook with that many ships in port. Thanks Jade for the heads up.

Thanks, b

Benny, our group rented a car to go to Olympia. The concern was when I checked portimes there were over 7,000 pax the day, the highest of any Noordam stop on our cruise. Some may be arriving later but I could not tell the times from this free site. Cruisecal has them but now apparently requires a fee.

Jade who did you rent the car through, if it is okay to say? Thanks,b

• 1 month later...

I can't answer your question about international tourism day, but as far as the train is concerned, it really depends on your port times. It can be a bit tight. There is a train I believe about 8.30ish & one to get you back between 1.30 and 2. I don't know about later trains, but they are infrequent, some leaving but not going as far as Olympia.

We were there a couple of weeks ago. Rather than take a 100 euro taxi for a mad dash there & back, we booked George, who was excellent. He will stay with you the whole time & take you wherever you wish to go. Check out his website for ideas other than Olympia.

http://www.taxikatakolon.gr/content/view/4/11/lang,en/

In our case we did visit Olympia (the museum was closed as it was a Monday morning.) We then went to the village, had a drive to see the fire & earthquake damage, went to George's house and picked fresh oranges and figs from the trees, a short visit to the winery for a little wine tasting and back along the beach to the port.

We were there a couple of weeks ago. Rather than take a 100 euro taxi for a mad dash there & back, we booked George, who was excellent. He will stay with you the whole time & take you wherever you wish to go. Check out his website for ideas other than Olympia.

http://www.taxikatakolon.gr/content/view/4/11/lang,en/

I am sad to report I received an email from George today. His mother passed away in September. He has obligations on the Sunday in October that we will be in port. We are just heartbroken for him...

I have scoured the boards, but never see any other recommendations. Does anyone know of another reputable driver in Katakolon? I may forego the Olympic village for an afternoon in port if the drivers seem to be gouging, but George was asking 120 EU for three hours.

Is the hundred dollars just for the drive to Olympia, or for the round trip with an hour or two in the village? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

More importantly, again I extend my condolences to this dear man and his family during this difficult time.

I have taken the Holland Ship's excursions. They are not awful at all - on the contrary I have found them to be extremely well organized, and highly informative.

That said, I have been to Olympia three times. We travel to Europe for a cruise in the Med annually in the Fall. We will be with friends who have never been to most of the places we will sail to, and as a "veteran cruiser" I prefer the flexibility of a private driver to a larger tour. It is merely a matter of personal choice, hence the posting requesting private drivers...

Archived