VERY LONG Trip Report: Just back from Jewel 13 Night Baltics/Russia Sailing

I appreciate the time it took you to do this comprehensive review and I agree that, if you have a problem, the only way to get something resolved is to let the proper people know about it. I contsantly tell the people who utilize my office's services,"If you have a problem with something, we can't correct it unless you tell us about it." That's what customer service is all about.

We experienced some things similar to yours on a recent Grandeur trip from Norfolk, VA, which was very disappointing to us since we're Diamond + and have been sailing with RCI since 1979.

We noted a significant decline in food preparation quality and entertainment and witnessed a few instances when passengers were trying to tell staff about problems they had encountered and the staff seemed indifferent in their attitude. Kind of like, "If I sit here and listen to this person and tell them I'll take care of it, they'll go away and I can move on to the next thing. They'll be off the ship before I have to deal with them again."

I know things are getting tight economically, especially with fuel pricies and everything else going up, but RCI is starting to lose sight of some things that separated it from "those other cruise lines" and I think you can see that in many of the posts on this site. It is much less expensive to retain a customer once they've had a good experience than it is to get a new customer and, unfortunately, RCI is losing its customer is always right attitude in many cases which is what made so many of us loyal customers. I'll continue to cruise with them but I'll definately lower my level of expectations hoping that they will excedd those lowered expectations and I'll be a little more careful how I tell others about the RCI experience. We've literally convinced a couple of hundred peoeple to cruise with RCI over the last 29 years and I hate to be embarrassed when something I've recommended with glowing words turns out to be a mediocre experience for someone.

As a last comment, I agree with you that the "prizes" for participating in activities are really cheap and almost insulting especially since most of them are now getting geared towards having you spend more money on board in order to use your "prize" such as the free bingo cards. It's pretty bad when their staff even starts making derogatory comments about the prizes they're given to use.

Baccarat..careful.:) Those that love "my time dining" won't take criticism of it, at all. They claim that no one ever has to wait and that they are seated on the dot of their reservation time. It has also been claimed that the wait staff is still attentive and wonderful despite the fact their tips have been prepaid. Of course this can vary from ship to ship but I am glad to see that you have some backup and they were also willing to tell it like it is.

Sounds like RCI has alot to work on. Pax won't pay extra for better meals if the service continues to be as horrid, in the specialties, as you describe.:(

So' date=' you complained twice to guest relations (about your table assignment and the delivery of the romance package), filed two "formal" complaints about the room service and the solarium cafe hours, and became "very vocal" with the loyalty ambassador? There really aren't that many people in management on the ship, and they must talk to each other. Did it occur to you that very shortly into your cruise you became "that guy" with the cruise staff, and they stopped taking you seriously? And when you say "very vocal" it sounds to me like you yelled at the loyalty ambassador - certainly not the way to make her (or him) want to help you out.

Also, I'm not sure why you think your wine consumption should have guaranteed you better dining room service. Sure, it stinks when your waiter is distracted by another table (I've experienced this myself), but perhaps your ordering two to four bottles of wine for dinner every night just caused the waiter more work - he doesn't get a tip calculated on how much wine you drink.

As for "buy backs", you will most likely find these at your regular local bar if you tip well, and not on a short vacation where the bar is owned by a huge corporation that most certainly monitors the sales of alcohol closely enough to get a bartender in trouble if they try to comp you. I have never, ever been comped a drink on RC, and I can't imagine that I ever will be.[/quote']

15 replies; including multiple people who were on this cruise who agreed with me and then there's you. I suppose you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. My review was honest and explained my perception of the cruise. I complained to Guest Relations 4 times because frankly they screwed up 4 times . . . not for anything, the only way you get something fixed is to let them know its broken.

As for not getting buy backs, I've received buy backs on EVERY cruise I've taken, both RCCL and Celebrity. And the Waiter does make more money on wine (he actually came out and said that's where he makes the most of his money) because he gets a gratuity on every single one.

Anyhow, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion . . . thanks for sharing it.

I'm sorry if that came across as arrogant. Frankly, whether we were drinking or not at dinner, our service was not up to par. Other than my buy-back comment, nothing in my trip report was meant to indicate that we felt we deserved better service than the table next to us . . . when I used better service I meant it to mean an "increase" in service to at least bring us to the proper service levels (or something at least equal to the table next to us). I through in the fact that we were drinking because it did baffle us a little how we had been pushed aside given the amount of extra revenue we were bringing the cruise line. That being said, I don't disagree with your comment that you would (and should!) be annoyed if your server was more attentive to the "drinking" table.

Mike, actually you are correct and It'sRC4me is wrong.

Waiters very much want you to buy more wine, and are rewarded if you do.

1. They receive 15% gratuity on the wine that you purchase in the dining room.

2. They are GRADED based on how much upselling they do! On some, if not all ships, there is a QUOTA, a baseline that they must meet, and if they don't, they can be demoted to the Windjammer, where they receive no tips!

Sellling wine to passengers is a VERY important job for a waiter. When passengers buy as much wine as Mike and Tara apparently did, the waiters should be falling all over themselves to provide excellent service to them.

I am very lucky; I have had almost all excellent servers. I have had a couple of average ones, but after speaking to the headwaiter, saw immediate improvement.

The fact that Mike *did* speak to the HW, and he did not help with the situation, is NOT good.

15 replies; including multiple people who were on this cruise who agreed with me and then there's you. I suppose you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. My review was honest and explained my perception of the cruise. I complained to Guest Relations 4 times because frankly they screwed up 4 times . . . not for anything, the only way you get something fixed is to let them know its broken.

As for not getting buy backs, I've received buy backs on EVERY cruise I've taken, both RCCL and Celebrity. And the Waiter does make more money on wine (he actually came out and said that's where he makes the most of his money) because he gets a gratuity on every single one.

Anyhow, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion . . . thanks for sharing it.

A thorough review, for sure, but, I am also disaagreeing with virtually everything you say. We were on the same cruise as you and since this was our 14th with RCCL feel entitled to add I though the service and food on this cruise was amongst the best we have had. The service we had in the dining room was exceptional and the windjammer was also very good... we had no problems getting drinks (i often asked for fruit punch and got it without question).

Buybacks.... hmmm I think it's a bit remiss to expect this; I have received buybacks on previous cruises and yes I did get them on this one as well, but I really didn;t think about it. I am also a bit unsure how the cruise is expected to know your bar bill, and thus you get your buy backs, interesting that you mention the main barman in the Schooner bar (where you profess to have spent a lot of your time) as being very good but you didn't get his name - it will have been on his name badge and on the many receipts you will have with his name on - it was Milan.

I thought the entertainment was pretty good. Only went to one show, which was OK, but the guest entertainers were of a consistent quality through out with two excpetions - the pianist Bond, who was risible, and Reid Bostock, which was singularly the worst act I have ever seen. I can't believe he dropped his rings 4 times in the closing act. Utter dross. The best would have been Da Vinci (sorry Baccarat Boy - and also I have no idea how you can criticise Portofinos - our service in there was EXCEPTIONAL. It was slow, for sure, but we enjoyed the experience and food. The Filet Mignon was not, as far as I am aware, available in the main dining room)

I'd also say although he was brave, and an OK pianist, Will Bailey was pretty awful. He managed to pretty well offend the American passengers on the first night, and his singing was woeful. Yes, a middle-of-the-road entertainer - but to be on this clas of ship in its main bar - no way! The other entertainers I'd agree were also pretty awful - with the exception of Moses and his musicians who were very good.

You sound like a bit of a whinger to me.... there were a lot on board I found who made completely unrealistic and unfair expectations to the staff - who felt they could habitually abuse the bully the staff - and I felt no-one should have to be subjected to such abuse. I could have punched the lights out of the guy who told the bar tender in the pitstop to "use his initiative" as the ESPN feed kept conking out from wimbledon.

I will agree with you on one thing... Robert was ALSO our cabin attendent and he has exceptional.

I found all the staff on the cruise, to a man, to work exceptionally hard and do their best.... I'd agree with BaccaratBoy that theo (who we have cruised with before) and nadere were an absolute joy.

Agree about Rob Sugar... though he was very good and especially so given that this was his last cruise before going on vacation....

I am not convinced the dining room waiters get the 15%... I have been told by a number of staff on a number of ships that the 15% tips are divided between all staff, front and back of house. Cash tips do go to who they are given to (obviously), but it makes sense that the 15% is shared out amongst the galley staff etc etc

reading through some more of the latter posts, it does sound like this Inge really was awful.... never had a dealing with her, but when i di walk through the c&a lounge i never saw her there.

A thorough review, for sure, but, I am also disaagreeing with virtually everything you say. We were on the same cruise as you and since this was our 14th with RCCL feel entitled to add I though the service and food on this cruise was amongst the best we have had. The service we had in the dining room was exceptional and the windjammer was also very good... we had no problems getting drinks (i often asked for fruit punch and got it without question).

Buybacks.... hmmm I think it's a bit remiss to expect this; I have received buybacks on previous cruises and yes I did get them on this one as well, but I really didn;t think about it. I am also a bit unsure how the cruise is expected to know your bar bill, and thus you get your buy backs, interesting that you mention the main barman in the Schooner bar (where you profess to have spent a lot of your time) as being very good but you didn't get his name - it will have been on his name badge and on the many receipts you will have with his name on - it was Milan.

I thought the entertainment was pretty good. Only went to one show, which was OK, but the guest entertainers were of a consistent quality through out with two excpetions - the pianist Bond, who was risible, and Reid Bostock, which was singularly the worst act I have ever seen. I can't believe he dropped his rings 4 times in the closing act. Utter dross. The best would have been Da Vinci (sorry Baccarat Boy - and also I have no idea how you can criticise Portofinos - our service in there was EXCEPTIONAL. It was slow, for sure, but we enjoyed the experience and food. The Filet Mignon was not, as far as I am aware, available in the main dining room)

I'd also say although he was brave, and an OK pianist, Will Bailey was pretty awful. He managed to pretty well offend the American passengers on the first night, and his singing was woeful. Yes, a middle-of-the-road entertainer - but to be on this clas of ship in its main bar - no way! The other entertainers I'd agree were also pretty awful - with the exception of Moses and his musicians who were very good.

There were a lot on whingers board I found who made completely unrealistic and unfair expectations to the staff - who felt they could habitually abuse the bully the staff - and I felt no-one should have to be subjected to such abuse. I could have punched the lights out of the guy who told the bar tender in the pitstop to "use his initiative" as the ESPN feed kept conking out from wimbledon.

I will agree with you on one thing... Robert was ALSO our cabin attendent and he has exceptional.

And an other thing actually (edit)... dress codes.... I actually felt embarrassed for those who couldn't even put a collared shirt and tie on for formal night... I strongly agree these scruffs should be turned away from the dining room if they are unable to read the dress code... and we also experienced this in Portafinos, which states "collared shirt" yet I saw people in T-shirts in there. It's really not that big an ask to get dressed up for dinner, it's part of the cruise routine, it's not every night, there's an alternative if you don't want to do it and frankly it's a bit sad if you don't want to get dressed up for your significant others. Even on casual nights there should be some standards... people were regularly in the dining room in tracksuits and one geezer on a table near us wore a baseball cap every night.... how sad is that.

I found all the staff on the cruise, to a man, to work exceptionally hard and do their best.... I'd agree with BaccaratBoy that theo (who we have cruised with before) and nadere were an absolute joy.

My negatives....

(1) Attitude of a minority of passengers who seemed unable to conduct themselves appropriately on a high quality vacation

(2) Communication was awful - two time changes were not in the Compass and the photocopy passports for St Petersburg was not communicated to passengers until the Captains 6pm brief on departure from Tallinn.

To read this and a few other threads you would think this was a cruise from hell. On the contrary it was just the opposite. This was one of the best cruises I have ever taken! I am not going to respond to each and every bitch except to say that my experience in many of the same situation was positive vs. the negative ones put forward.

There are always minor irritations in any trip that lasts for 2 weeks with a bunch of diverse people, but to blow them up to major proportions that destroy the enjoyment of visiting so many cultures and countries is irrational.

When ‘BaccaratBoy’ suggests that “we met several Diamond Plus level people who were treated far shabbier.” I feel compelled to answer that. I was one of the 11 Diamond Plus people on this cruise. The ones I talked to were as positive as me about this cruise.

Jack

I'm beginning to wonder if we were on the same cruise but I know we were. I did post earlier that Mike did a good job on his report but I did not mean to imply that we agreed with him.

Our service in Tides or My Time Dining was superb (DH has food allegies & everyone we dealt with there was great and made sure what he ordered was ok) although the food we found not as good as other times we have sailed on Jewel. We only had problems with one member of the crew and that was the LA (Inge) about whom we have since written a letter to RCCL.

We dined in Portofino (twice) & Chops as well and enjoyed every minute of those evenings. The food was great and the service superb.

Every employee (aside from the aforementioned Inge) we came across was friendly and always greeted us with a smile & hello.

We booked excursions through RCCL in all ports but St Petersburg & Klaipeda and found fault with only one of them (Viking Heritage in Oslo). The rest we really enjoyed.

In short, we had a great time on the cruise.

To read this and a few other threads you would think this was a cruise from hell. On the contrary it was just the opposite. This was one of the best cruises I have ever taken! I am not going to respond to each and every bitch except to say that my experience in many of the same situation was positive vs. the negative ones put forward.

There are always minor irritations in any trip that lasts for 2 weeks with a bunch of diverse people, but to blow them up to major proportions that destroy the enjoyment of visiting so many cultures and countries is irrational.

When ‘BaccaratBoy’ suggests that “we met several Diamond Plus level people who were treated far shabbier.” I feel compelled to answer that. I was one of the 11 Diamond Plus people on this cruise. The ones I talked to were as positive as me about this cruise.

Jack

I'm not sure where I referred to this as the cruise from hell. My trip report is filled with compliments as well as criticisms. There were aspects of this cruise that were better than any we had taken previously. There were also aspects that just baffled me. I think if you go through my report on the whole, there's more positives then negatives, but people seem to focus on the negatives. Ultimately we had a good time, but I felt the service levels and attitude overall just didn't measure up to past cruises and there were a few incidents worth mentioning.

There were a lot on whingers board I found who made completely unrealistic and unfair expectations to the staff - who felt they could habitually abuse the bully the staff - and I felt no-one should have to be subjected to such abuse. I could have punched the lights out of the guy who told the bar tender in the pitstop to "use his initiative" as the ESPN feed kept conking out from wimbledon.

And an other thing actually (edit)... dress codes.... I actually felt embarrassed for those who couldn't even put a collared shirt and tie on for formal night... I strongly agree these scruffs should be turned away from the dining room if they are unable to read the dress code... and we also experienced this in Portafinos, which states "collared shirt" yet I saw people in T-shirts in there. It's really not that big an ask to get dressed up for dinner, it's part of the cruise routine, it's not every night, there's an alternative if you don't want to do it and frankly it's a bit sad if you don't want to get dressed up for your significant others. Even on casual nights there should be some standards... people were regularly in the dining room in tracksuits and one geezer on a table near us wore a baseball cap every night.... how sad is that.

My negatives....

(1) Attitude of a minority of passengers who seemed unable to conduct themselves appropriately on a high quality vacation

(2) Communication was awful - two time changes were not in the Compass and the photocopy passports for St Petersburg was not communicated to passengers until the Captains 6pm brief on departure from Tallinn.

1) Personally, I think I did a very good job at getting the names of people who served me. I missed one . . . oops. I mean seriously, to challenge the honesty of my review because I missed his name? Please. But thank you for telling me because I will be sure to add it to my letter so he's appropriately recognised.

2) Will Bailey didn't offend the Americans. I was one of the Americans in his bar almost every night and didn't take any offense to his antics. Was he the best piano player, no, but compared to the other talent on the cruise he wasn't half bad. What he did do is play to the crowd and managed to retain an audience and keep things interesting which is something none of the other entertainers or the activities staff seemed to be able to do.

3) I remember the person you referred to in the Pit Stop re: ESPN. It wasn't me for what its worth!!! That being said, without condoning this persons behavior, he got into it with the bar staff and the manager when Wimbledon was starting because they refused to put it on most of the TVs (ultimately after he got another Manager, they finally did, but their attitude in doing it was pretty bad because most of the people in the bar did want it put on and when they even checked if anyone was watching what was on the other TV there wasn't anyone). That being said, obviously there's nothing that the cruise line could have done when the satellite signal went out, so while this guy was already riled up, he should have at least realised that this part was out of their control.

4) I actually complimented my waitstaff in the MD in my trip report. I know they did everything they could and that's why we tipped them extra and were very relaxed in not bothering them and just enjoying our 2 hour dinner. That being said, it did result in our service being substandard, but like I said, I couldn't fault them for it.

5) And finally, in your complaint about St. Petersburg--they told you about the photocopy of the passport about 900 times. It was at the Meet & Mingle, it was at the Captain's reception, it was plastered on the cruise TV over and over again, it was in the cruise compass, AND it was in your cruise documents.

Interestingly, for "virtually disagreeing" with everything I said, we seemed to agree on about as much (the shows were "ok," but you criticised one nonetheless, the dress code, our cabin attendant, the other entertainers, etc.).

I'm not looking to get into a fight here--I posted a trip report of my experiences and obviously we're all going to have different ones as we interact with different staff, go to different bars/lounges or take part in different activities. I welcome your comments because it makes this thread a balanced review of the cruise in total for others that read this. What I don't understand (and this is not directed at your post), is why people have to challenge the reviews, challenge the honesty of the poster, etc. rather than simply providing their own honest views of the cruise as well.

I'm beginning to wonder if we were on the same cruise but I know we were. I did post earlier that Mike did a good job on his report but I did not mean to imply that we agreed with him.

Our service in Tides or My Time Dining was superb (DH has food allegies & everyone we dealt with there was great and made sure what he ordered was ok) although the food we found not as good as other times we have sailed on Jewel. We only had problems with one member of the crew and that was the LA (Inge) about whom we have since written a letter to RCCL.

We dined in Portofino (twice) & Chops as well and enjoyed every minute of those evenings. The food was great and the service superb.

Every employee (aside from the aforementioned Inge) we came across was friendly and always greeted us with a smile & hello.

We booked excursions through RCCL in all ports but St Petersburg & Klaipeda and found fault with only one of them (Viking Heritage in Oslo). The rest we really enjoyed.

In short, we had a great time on the cruise.

Thanks. I tried to write a comprehensive review of my experiences. I certainly didn't expect everyone to agree with me. I would bet there are some who had an amazing cruise and would contradict every single criticism I've made and have a thousand more positives to share on top of mine. Similarly, as we've seen from a few others already (granted people tend to complain publicly before they compliment, so I know its not a representative sample), there are those that had significantly worse experiences.

I'll echo your comments that I thought Portofino and Chops were excellent. Three of the four of us in my party preferred Chops to Portofino (I preferred Portofino) but we all enjoyed both very much and would definitely reconsider going back to them more times on future cruises.

I don't want anyone to take out of my review that this was the trip from hell. There were some great things and some bad things . . . I feel my review comprehensively captures all of them. Its meant to be detailed and its meant to include the little things (good and bad) because they do matter to some people.

to any of you on this cruise which nights were the formal nights on? we are going 8/3 with one less stop. was told by rccl one formal nightwas first night in st pete. also was it daytime when you passed through denmark and norway on way east? thanks

Will actually did offend a bunch of Americans his first couple of nights. He made some remarks at the Name that Tune that Americans are cheaters and well known for it. He also made some other anti-American political comments. These did not bother us at all, but several people did get up and walk out and expressed their anger to him on the way.

I found him to be a decent guy on the whole, if not a great pianist. Matt Yee (different cruise) was much more fun, if a worse musician. The classical guitarist on this cruise was excellent.

Thanks. I tried to write a comprehensive review of my experiences. I certainly didn't expect everyone to agree with me. I would bet there are some who had an amazing cruise and would contradict every single criticism I've made and have a thousand more positives to share on top of mine. Similarly, as we've seen from a few others already (granted people tend to complain publicly before they compliment, so I know its not a representative sample), there are those that had significantly worse experiences.

I'll echo your comments that I thought Portofino and Chops were excellent. Three of the four of us in my party preferred Chops to Portofino (I preferred Portofino) but we all enjoyed both very much and would definitely reconsider going back to them more times on future cruises.

I don't want anyone to take out of my review that this was the trip from hell. There were some great things and some bad things . . . I feel my review comprehensively captures all of them. Its meant to be detailed and its meant to include the little things (good and bad) because they do matter to some people.

You spoke as you saw fit, so don't worry about what others think. A review is subjective and one cruiser's experience to another's on the same ship (and even in next door cabins) can be completely different.

People may disagree, but the way to go about it to say, sorry that your cruise had so many problems, we were on the same one and had a great time - not: You are wrong in what you say.

Unfortunately, there are some whose hackles rise at the mere mention of criticism, and they feel it their duty to don their vigilante outfits and leap to RCI's defence.

Take no notice of them. I appreciated your efforts in instilling a bit of honesty into your review. If RCI want to keep their customers happy, they will eventually have to listen to complaints and take action, especially in light of the recession ahead of us these next few years.

I just wanted to say I didn't agree with some of what you said ;) however thanks for posting such a thorough review.

SOme of the things you said did sound somewhat petty; I guess that can come across sometimes when one writes such a detailed review. On the whole, I am glad you enjoyed the cruise.

I can tell you are not British; you didn't mention the weather!!!!

I am glad BaccaratBoy didn't take offence by Will Bailey; as a Brit I wanted the ground to swallow me

You do seem very picky about some aspects of this cruise, did you actually enjoy any of the ports of call or was there lots to complain about there as well?

I don't think I complained about any of the ports . . . on the contrary, I just said which was my favorite and which was my least favorite. I actually enjoyed all of them, some just more so than others.

I just wanted to say I didn't agree with some of what you said ;) however thanks for posting such a thorough review.

SOme of the things you said did sound somewhat petty; I guess that can come across sometimes when one writes such a detailed review. On the whole, I am glad you enjoyed the cruise.

I can tell you are not British; you didn't mention the weather!!!!

I am glad BaccaratBoy didn't take offence by Will Bailey; as a Brit I wanted the ground to swallow me

Much better! (-:

No, I'm not British, I just live in London. That being said, I thought the weather was great on this cruise!

Once we got Will Bailey to wear our giant fourth of July hats, we didn't care what offenses he came out with (-:

Archived