Dubrovnik -- getting off the ship

What is HAL's method of letting passengers off the ship in Dubrovnik? I have read of tenders and also of shuttles. Anyone have the latest info? If it's shuttles, it is a long distance from the ship into the town? Does the shuttle ticket cover unlimited rides, or 1 RT?

We were on the Veendam a year ago May and we docked at the pier. The ship had a shuttle bus for $10. round trip pp to the old city gates or you could catch a taxi for €10 each way. If four people shared a taxi you actually came out better using it than the ship's shuttle plus it took less waiting around. Four of us got to the old town well before any ship shuttle arrived. We had to wait about half an hour until they opened the wall for business but we were the first folks up on it that day and made it all almost al the way around before we ran into bunches of other tourists.

If docked how long a trip to the old town. If tendered, how long a trip to the old walled city? I have 2 1/2 hours and I am trying to see if I have time for a brief tour of the old walled city. I think that my ship will be tendered.

I just got back 3 days ago from my Mediterranean cruise and we were docked (Celebrity Summit). There was a shuttle for $10 per person to the old city, but the adventurers we are decided to walk it. The sign said 3k to the old city, but being an avid runner I can tell you it was more like 3.5 to 4k mostly up hill. It wasn't a bad walk for us, we took our time and enjoyed the scenery along the way. We had plenty of time and didn't have to rush seeing everything. We did all of our ports on our own and saved a TON of $$$$.

We were on Rotterdam last year and docked at the pier. As a family of 4, it was more economical for us to take a taxi. I have given our taxi drivers name and contact number on these boards and I know of CC members who have been able to book him in advance using this phone number. We had planned to just take a taxi ride down to the Walled city but then agreed to have a 40 minute tour with him. He was so fantastic we asked him to show us more and we stayed with him for nearly 5 hours. We saw far more than all of our ships tours combined, for a fraction of the price and with the comfort and flexibility of our own private air conditioned new mercedes car and driver. His name is Rade Ppedojevic and his phone number in Dubrovonik is

098-847-152. At the end of our time with him, we had him drop us off at the walled city. After some time looking around the walled city, we walked back to the ship at a very leisurely pace and it took us about 30 minutes. Our day in Dubrovonik was one of our favourite days in our 2 months of travelling Europe - mainly thanks to Rade.

For our family of 4 I think it was going to be 10 Euro down to the walled city, then it was going to be 50 Euro for a 45 minute tour and then it turned into120 Euro for the whole thing. We went everywhere and had such a great time that my husband who is not happy to tip ( as it is not our custom in Australia) gave him 200 euro all up. This was exceptional value considering what we saw and what the ship tours offered and charged. My teens would have been charged at adult rates by the ship so it would have cost us far more and we would not have seen all that we did. I cannot speak highly enough of our day with Rade. We had planned to go up the walls but because Rade had already taken us to lookouts that looked down on the walls, we did not feel the need to go up. We did enjoy just strolling through the town, having lunch and then strolling back to our ship. We took hundreds of fantatic photos on this day and had great trouble editing them down in number.

What is HAL's method of letting passengers off the ship in Dubrovnik? I have read of tenders and also of shuttles. Anyone have the latest info? If it's shuttles, it is a long distance from the ship into the town? Does the shuttle ticket cover unlimited rides, or 1 RT?

Which cruise are you on? For our upcoming Noordam cruise we are scheduled to dock.

If not on a HAL tour you need a taxi to the old city. The currency is Kuna, but since 10 EUR for a taxi has been mentioned, I guess they are taking EUR.

We were on Rotterdam last year and docked at the pier. As a family of 4, it was more economical for us to take a taxi. I have given our taxi drivers name and contact number on these boards and I know of CC members who have been able to book him in advance using this phone number. We had planned to just take a taxi ride down to the Walled city but then agreed to have a 40 minute tour with him. He was so fantastic we asked him to show us more and we stayed with him for nearly 5 hours. We saw far more than all of our ships tours combined, for a fraction of the price and with the comfort and flexibility of our own private air conditioned new mercedes car and driver. His name is Rade Ppedojevic and his phone number in Dubrovonik is

098-847-152. At the end of our time with him, we had him drop us off at the walled city. After some time looking around the walled city, we walked back to the ship at a very leisurely pace and it took us about 30 minutes. Our day in Dubrovonik was one of our favourite days in our 2 months of travelling Europe - mainly thanks to Rade.

Hi! Is that number correct? It doesn't seem to work when we try to dial it.

Dubrovnik only has space for ONE ship at dock in the new port called the Gruz. Other ships will be at anchor in the Gruz, which is a taxi or shuttle ride into Stari Grad (old town). The buses take longer than a taxi ride and I have been told that the buses do not offer unlimited rides. But do check with your cruise line for confirmation. Depending on traffic, it normally takes about 10 to 15 minutes to get into town. However today there are 8 ships in port, with about 15,000 cruisers and the Pile gate entrance is very busy.

Dobro Dosli

If docked how long a trip to the old town. If tendered, how long a trip to the old walled city? I have 2 1/2 hours and I am trying to see if I have time for a brief tour of the old walled city. I think that my ship will be tendered.

You certainly have a very short amount of time to visit Dubrovnik. Take a taxi, it's faster and decide exactly what you want to see. There is a wonderful website for Dubrovnik tourist bureau which has a map of the old town, use it to help you get your bearings.

Dobro Dosli

Hi! Is that number correct? It doesn't seem to work when we try to dial it.

All phone numbers in Croatia require a country code, which is 385. The number posted is a cell number as it begins with 098, however you must always use the country code before the number.

Dobro Dosli

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Here is the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website, just look for the Dubrovnik City Map and download it. It is 2 pages, one of the Stari Grad (old town) and the other gives you a view of the entire area. It also does show the Gruz harbor location.

Enjoy your visit to my home.

Dobro Dosli

Here is the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website, just look for the Dubrovnik City Map and download it. It is 2 pages, one of the Stari Grad (old town) and the other gives you a view of the entire area. It also does show the Gruz harbor location.

Enjoy your visit to my home.

Dobro Dosli

Thanks!!! Aside from walking the wall, what else would you say we should be sure not to miss during our day in Dubrovnik? Should we do the wall first thing in the morning? We'll be there on Tuesday, 8/5.

There is a city bus if you walk about 100 meters to the bus stop where you can buy a ticket and catch a city bus. I was on RCCL and they also offered a shuttle.

I have read that the wall is very crowded during the summer, and you are right, it is best to start early.

I read a number of columns that mentioned going to Mea Culpa for pizza, so we went there. There were others from our ship coming and going all the time.

(BTW the pizzas are large. My husband wasn't too crazy about the pizza, but it was fun to go there, and the servers spoke English.)

Also apparently you are supposed to bring the original of your passport, and we heard that not having it was a problem for someone in our group.

Thanks!!! Aside from walking the wall, what else would you say we should be sure not to miss during our day in Dubrovnik? Should we do the wall first thing in the morning? We'll be there on Tuesday, 8/5.

Arriving on Tuesday is good, there will only be 2 American ships in port, Carnival and Celebrity. However that does not mean that we will not have others, such as one French and another Italian ship, they do not show on port times.

The webside for the Dubrovnik tourist bureau is the best place to do some research as to what there is to see here. Very important point on all of these sites, they have not been updated this year and many of the entrance fees are not correct. The city wall fee is 50 Kuna, 7.50 Euro, 10USD and some websites only show 15 kuna. So plan accordingly. You can use euros here, but not every shop will accept them. The Cabrio bus tour, which I think everyone should do, will only accept kuna. Please walk down to the Stradun, stop at one of the ATMs and get the local currency, it's easier. Cabs from the Gruz will take Euros, because they are now working only in Euros. If and when the USD becomes strong again, drivers will accept them. This is what travel is about, experience somthing different, eat something you never thought you would and see sights which are more than were built in the 1300. Now that's history.

Dobro Dosli

The webside for the Dubrovnik tourist bureau is the best place to do some research as to what there is to see here.

Dobro Dosli

Thank you for the great website. Also thank you for your other information in various posts. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city in October.

Here is a website which will help you decide what you want to see in Dubrovnik. It's a wonderful resource to guide you to the sights here. This is a magical town, much to see and some lovely places to stop, rest and have a Makiato. You can find me at the Gradska Kavana, people watching very often.

Dobro Dosli

Here is a website which will help you decide what you want to see in Dubrovnik. It's a wonderful resource to guide you to the sights here. This is a magical town, much to see and some lovely places to stop, rest and have a Makiato. You can find me at the Gradska Kavana, people watching very often.

Dobro Dosli

You would not happen to have a similar link for Split, would you?

Thanks in advance.

Arriving on Tuesday is good, there will only be 2 American ships in port, Carnival and Celebrity. However that does not mean that we will not have others, such as one French and another Italian ship, they do not show on port times.

The webside for the Dubrovnik tourist bureau is the best place to do some research as to what there is to see here. Very important point on all of these sites, they have not been updated this year and many of the entrance fees are not correct. The city wall fee is 50 Kuna, 7.50 Euro, 10USD and some websites only show 15 kuna. So plan accordingly. You can use euros here, but not every shop will accept them. The Cabrio bus tour, which I think everyone should do, will only accept kuna. Please walk down to the Stradun, stop at one of the ATMs and get the local currency, it's easier. Cabs from the Gruz will take Euros, because they are now working only in Euros. If and when the USD becomes strong again, drivers will accept them. This is what travel is about, experience somthing different, eat something you never thought you would and see sights which are more than were built in the 1300. Now that's history.

Dobro Dosli

Thanks for the great info! What time should we walk the wall? What time does it open? Where does the Cabrio bus tour take us? How much is it? Thanks again.:)

Thanks for the great info! What time should we walk the wall? What time does it open? Where does the Cabrio bus tour take us? How much is it? Thanks again.:)

Try to walk the walls as early as possible, the crowds and the heat. The city walls are 2 kilometers with a total of 650 steps and if you take photos it will take a minimum of 2 hours. Walls open at 0800 and close at 1930, every day.

The Cabrilo bus is a wonderful ride, takes 2 hours and will drive you all around the city, new and old parts. There are only 2 photo stops, take water and you will get a great overview of the entire town. Did this ride several weeks ago and decided that everyone should do it, it was fun. The ride is 90 kuna and they will NOT take any other form of money, only kuna. You can pick up Cabrilo at the Pile gate at 1153, 1353. Also please learn the 24 hour clock, that's all we have here. It is an open air bus with a roof so the sun won't bake you.

Dobro Dosli

Try to walk the walls as early as possible, the crowds and the heat. The city walls are 2 kilometers with a total of 650 steps and if you take photos it will take a minimum of 2 hours. Walls open at 0800 and close at 1930, every day.

The Cabrilo bus is a wonderful ride, takes 2 hours and will drive you all around the city, new and old parts. There are only 2 photo stops, take water and you will get a great overview of the entire town. Did this ride several weeks ago and decided that everyone should do it, it was fun. The ride is 90 kuna and they will NOT take any other form of money, only kuna. You can pick up Cabrilo at the Pile gate at 1153, 1353. Also please learn the 24 hour clock, that's all we have here. It is an open air bus with a roof so the sun won't bake you.

Dobro Dosli

If we do the bus ride, would that leave us time for the synagogue too? Do we come upon the synagogue in the course of walking the walls?

Archived