4 In One Cabin Secrets Tips?

pipedreams62

I was wondering if anybody had some tips or suggestions for 4 people in one cabin (outside) We booked an unbelievable deal for a Christmas cruise on the Statendam. It will be my wife and I, and our 17yr old and 15yr old sons. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this? Is there any secrets or tips living in these tight submarine quarters? If it works we will bring them more often.

Thanks

Everyone makes a big deal out of it, but it really isn't. When I was a youngster we routinely shoved ten people into a small seashore cottage that only had two bedrooms and one bathroom. Somehow we all survived for the week. Today, though, people seem to think that it can't be done, and that's wrong. Personally, I'd rather get a vacation crammed in with other family members than have my privacy but get no vacation at all.

Since you're all family members, no need for a lot of privacy. While son number 1 is showering, no reason son number 2 can't be brushing his teeth or using the john. No rule says only one person in the bathroom at a time.

While your wife probably wouldn't want your sons coming in while she was in the bathroom, no reason the two of you can't be using it at the same time.

If that's not acceptable and privacy is an absolute must, try to work out a shower schedule and make sure everyone adheres to it ... or send the boys up to the gym for their showers if that's possible. I've found though that using the showers in the gym doesn't often work because you can often go up there and find a longer line than you have in your cabin to get into the shower. Seems a lot of people get the same idea.

For getting dressed on formal night, have two people get dressed first and then get the h*ll out of the cabin to give the other two room to move around. You're gonna find that to be your biggest problem. No way can four people be getting dressed, fixing their hair and whatnot on formal nights all at the same time. You're gonna be banging into each other. So do it in shifts. For example, assuming you have late dining ... you and your wife go back to the cabin first. Tell the boys to hang out somewhere around the ship and come back to the cabin at a certain time. You and your wife get ready for dinner and then book it out of the cabin, leaving it free for the boys to get ready.

No reading in the john ... do your business and get out in case someone else needs to use it. This was a big rule for us down the seashore. If mom found a book or a magazine in the john, she went ballistic. "Other people need to get in here," she would yell, as she threw the magazine at you. "Have some common courtesy and read in your room!" You'll have it much easier than we did because at least there are public restrooms on the ship. If your cabin one is being used, someone else can just walk down the hall and use the public restroom. They have them on every level ... even the ones that are entirely made up of cabins.

As for sleeping, that's gonna be the real problem. From what I understand you'll have one bunk that pulls down from the ceiling and a sofa bed. When the bed is open, no one will be able to get into the bathroom without climbing over the bed (and the poor sop trying to sleep). Depending upon the agility of the person sleeping in the overhead bunk, if they have difficulty climbing down the ladder, the people in the bed below might hear "incoming!" if they need to get down to use the bathroom, and then feel someone plop down on top of them. In other words, if one person needs to use the john during the night, there is a good chance everyone will be awakened. Might be a good idea for everyone to go in that case. :) Seriously, if sleeping becomes an issue, it might be wise to rotate sleeping arrangements so that everyone at least gets some sleep.

As I said before, we routinely piled ten people into a bungalow down the shore for a week in the summer. Mom, dad and I would go, but there was no way my mom had the heart to deny my brother's kids a vacation too. Those were her grandkids. My brother and sister-in-law were struggling to raise five kids, so they didn't have the money to take them on vacation. If they didn't come with us, then they got no vacation. So, of course, they always had an invite. We made do and we survived ... some people sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags, others on the couch, my brother and sister-in-law in one room, my parents in the other. We all learned to share and work together, and guess what? We all had a great time. In fact, those weeks down the seashore were some of the fondest memories I have of my youth. So, don't sweat it. You'll survive four in a stateroom.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We had four of us (parents, 15 yo, 12 yo) in a regular verandah cabin on the Westerdam in May. It worked out fine. I did nag my son a few times (well most days) about picking his clothes up off the floor and not leaving his shoes everywhere. We divided up the drawers and closet space when we arrived and I asked everyone to put away their clothes and personal items when they were not using or wearing them. I think we had to hurry my daughter out of the shower once so everyone else could get ready in time. But otherwise, no problems.

The room was crowded with all of the beds opened up. Fortunately, our room steward was very good about making up the room while we were at breakfast so it was only an issue in the evening.

We did not eat any meals in the cabin.

I found the seats by the windows in the Explorer's Lounge to be a nice spot to read when I wanted a bit of quiet before going to bed.

It worked out well for us.

Birder22

I think we had to hurry my daughter out of the shower once so everyone else could get ready in time. But otherwise, no problems.

LOL ... the first thing that dad did when we got to the shore house was take the lock off the bathroom door. Don't worry, he would put it back before we left. Then he assured me and my nieces ... stay in here too long and people will be walking in on you. Kept people moving in and out ... use the bathroom only for those things requiring a bathroom, do everything else, like getting dressed, brushing hair, etc., in one of the rooms so that the next person can get into the bathroom. That's the only way to do it when you've got ten people all needing to share one bathroom. LOL ... the kids today don't know how easy they have it. In the days when I was growing up, most houses only had one bathroom and families were larger. You had no choice but to share.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Over the years we cruised with a family that routinely booked two inside quad cabins.

The first thing you do is pray that the Noro Virus is not an issue.:eek:

No food inside the cabin.

There is a place for everything and everything belongs in a place, off the desk, off the beds, and especially off the floor. The shoes will kill you.

Locate the nearest public restroom so you know where it's at and how long it will take you to get there.

Consider showering elsewhere.

Showering and dressing for dinner, especially on formal night, has to be planned. Open seating may be more conducive to accommodating the delays associated with everyone trying to get ready, at the same time.

Have a sense of humor cause you will need it and cherish the memories you are going to make.

Have a sense of humor cause you will need it and cherish the memories you are going to make.

Amen! Those memories I have of our yearly vacations to the shore house are among the sweetest and best in my life.

Wouldn't trade them for staying in a penthouse suite with five bathrooms!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Don’t insist that everyone eat together every night. There will be a lot of teen activities planned in the evening so if they join you for dinner they will be twitching for everyone to hurry up so they can leave. On out 4 cruises there were usually a group of teens that had dinner together every night in the Lido. The only time we insisted they join us was on the first formal night so that everyone could get dressed up and take a family picture. This meant that the kids were hanging out with friends while my sister and I dressed for diner.

Also take advantage of the “stuff all you can into the bag” laundry service and you can get by with packing half as many clothes and needing half as much storage space in the cabin.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

You'll be fine. I find the key is to keep it picked up. Everything needs to have a place and no one can just start throwing shoes and clothes around. When that starts to happen, it's a quick spiral downhill.

A time-tested suggestion that you will thank me for later... :)

On several threads I have seen the suggestion of an inexpensive, over-the-door hanging shoe rack, the plastic or canvas type with lots of pockets in it, that you hang up. No, not necessarily for shoes...

With four people I'd suggest bringing a couple of them and creating instant storage space. Maybe one on the outside and one on the inside of the bathroom door.

You can "hang up" toiletries, hair care items, makeup, brushes, toothbrushes and toothpaste, deodorant, colognes, room keys, loose coins or bills, shoes or flip flops, wallets, jewelry, small electronic items, music devices, headphones, menues, daily itineraries, ID's or passports (Ive never heard of a room steward stealing one), shore excursion tickets, guidebooks, pens and notepads (take post-it's to write notes to each other and the steward, etc.)

You can assign each person "pockets" for both in-the-bathroom and out-of-the-bathroom items and greatly increase your counter space in the bathroom as well as organize the little things that tend to cover tables and countertops or get thrown on beds.

I'm a lucky one that travels solo usually, but I'll bet the few dollars you spend on a couple of these will make your trip much easier (and your "quality family time together" much more enjoyable).

This usually helps a family continue to get along with one another. And that's a good thing ... :D

A time-tested suggestion that you will thank me for later... :)

On several threads I have seen the suggestion of an inexpensive, over-the-door hanging shoe rack, the plastic or canvas type with lots of pockets in it, that you hang up. No, not necessarily for shoes...

With four people I'd suggest bringing a couple of them and creating instant storage space. Maybe one on the outside and one on the inside of the bathroom door.

You can "hang up" toiletries, hair care items, makeup, brushes, toothbrushes and toothpaste, deodorant, colognes, room keys, loose coins or bills, shoes or flip flops, wallets, jewelry, small electronic items, music devices, headphones, menues, daily itineraries, ID's or passports (Ive never heard of a room steward stealing one), shore excursion tickets, guidebooks, pens and notepads (take post-it's to write notes to each other and the steward, etc.)

You can assign each person "pockets" for both in-the-bathroom and out-of-the-bathroom items and greatly increase your counter space in the bathroom as well as organize the little things that tend to cover tables and countertops or get thrown on beds.

I'm a lucky one that travels solo usually, but I'll bet the few dollars you spend on a couple of these will make your trip much easier (and your "quality family time together" much more enjoyable).

This usually helps a family continue to get along with one another. And that's a good thing ... :D

Thanks so much,makes so much sense.

Thanks again everyone for all the great tips.

Pipedreams – You always make me laugh with your clever posts (and your added visuals are hilarious). Somehow I think the scenario you describe here will provide good material for future witty posts! I look forward to them ;)

Pipedreams – You always make me laugh with your clever posts (and your added visuals are hilarious). Somehow I think the scenario you describe here will provide good material for future witty posts! I look forward to them ;)

I was thinking the same thing,when I read the 4 of us in 1 cabin will be "Making Memories"

I thought more like, I'll probably get 20 minutes of stand-up out of this,or have Kevorkian on speed dial.

I was thinking the same thing,when I read the 4 of us in 1 cabin will be "Making Memories"

I thought more like, I'll probably get 20 minutes of stand-up out of this,or have Kevorkian on speed dial.

My first reaction: Your posts have always made me laugh but now you’re crackin’ me up. Teenage boys cooped up with their parents for 7 days in an outside cabin? Are you kidding me? But my reference point is my DH & I sharing an oceanview with my Mom for 4 days on a repo cruise. Let’s just say it was tight (and this was 4 days & no teenage boys). But you've gotten some good responses on ways to make it work. So go for it & report back!

Two years ago we were in an outside quad with our daughters age 13 and 18. It was great fun -- the cabin was cozy (kind of like camping, but the food and service were much better!) I considered a separate cabin for the girls, but decided to spend the money on excursions instead.

Our sofabed was a bed most of the time and the bunk was always down (they like to nap), and it was not too difficult to maneuver around.

Keeping everyone's gear organized, and dressing for dinner in shifts, are key.

Our kids loved ordering snacks from room service. I stashed an envelope of one dollar bills in a drawer so that they always had tip money.

Unless they have a verandah or suite, most folks don't spend much time in the room anyway. If the OP's teens are like mine were, they'll sleep later than Mom and Dad, making for natural shifts in the bathroom (and they'll sleep through ANYTHING, so no worries about disturbing them). And a surefire way to make sure they DO sleep in is to say that you were planning to have the family have early breakfast together!!:D

kryos, enjoyed your reminiscence - reminded me of Holiday times at my grandmother's when I was a child when we has a dozen people in her tiny house (with one bathroom). We managed to have a great time anyway:) (I didn't know anyone with more than one bathroom in those days)

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Alaska and shared our verandah cabin with our two daughters aged 6 and 10.

We were extremely apprehensive going into the cruise. Normally we would never share a single hotel room with them.....a little separation from them at night preserves our state of well-being.

However we were really surprised that it worked out fine. The ambient "ship noise" seemed to insulate the room from all the chatter and the movement of the boat made everyone sleep well.

Though I realize your sons are much bigger than my daughters - I will reassure you that it might be better than you think.

We also booked at Christmas for the Noordam.

We just returned from Alaska and shared our verandah cabin with our two daughters aged 6 and 10.

We were extremely apprehensive going into the cruise. Normally we would never share a single hotel room with them.....a little separation from them at night preserves our state of well-being.

However we were really surprised that it worked out fine. The ambient "ship noise" seemed to insulate the room from all the chatter and the movement of the boat made everyone sleep well.

Though I realize your sons are much bigger than my daughters - I will reassure you that it might be better than you think.

We also booked at Christmas for the Noordam.

Sounds good. Maybe we'll do a few test runs a week before our cruise and all pile into one of our closets for a night and see how we manage?

So glad all went well.

Pipedrams62

telephone-booth-stuffing.jpg

You didn't say where you were headed, but if it's a hot destination with walking and beach activities, your teens will get stinky. I took my 3 teenage girls on a 7 day Caribbean sailing with RCCL, and after shore excursions involving tennis shoes, we all put our socks into the plastic laundry bag and clipped it shut. The next step involved quick showers by the pool and a cooling off plunge.

By the end of the week you really do need that "all you can stuff in for $20" bag of laundry. Budget for it and keep the stateroom clean smelling.

I almost always used the showers near the fitness center/spa. There was soap & shampoo/conditioner available.

First, order the unlimited laundry package for your cabin. No need to worry about laundry. No extra charge for a four person cabin using this service either.

Next, don't spend time in the cabin together when you don't need to.

Use public bathrooms. Most are clean and pleasant on the ship and you can read in there without having someone banging on the door.

If you are dressing for dinner, have the adults dress first and then go to the Crow's Nest for a cocktail while the boys dress. Have them meet you for dinner. This only works if they show up.

Put things away. Beds should be made. Sofas and bunks folded up during the day.

Find public spaces which work for you. I love the library area, the chairs on the promenade deck and poolside. Of course, I like reading and you can do that anywhere. I'm sure there are some places where you can watch TV.

I don't plan on repeating my personal four in a cabin experience, but you never know when the difference between having the money for a cruise or not having the money will depend on sharing a room this way. There are significant trade-offs.

I was wondering if anybody had some tips or suggestions for 4 people in one cabin (outside) We booked an unbelievable deal for a Christmas cruise on the Statendam. It will be my wife and I, and our 17yr old and 15yr old sons. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this? Is there any secrets or tips living in these tight submarine quarters? If it works we will bring them more often.

Thanks

No replies to Red Sox Fans!!!!!!

Can't add much new, just want to emphasize the wisdom of Cruise4Sunshine's advice about using the spa shower, and Hammybee's comment about locating the nearest public washroom. I always pick a cabin location based on these things (yeah, how helpful :rolleyes: of me to mention it now when you've already booked!) In addition to SeaFun's comment about hanging storage, don't forget to bring an extension cord and/or outlet extender for everyone's gadgets/chargers.

Pipedreams62,

Sounds like you'll cruising with us on the Statendam Christmas cruise. I'd like to invite you to join our roll call. Just look for the Statendam and then the Dec. 20th sailing.

You also mentioned you are in an outside, which one. We're in C106 on the Veranda deck.

Archived