Victory review...as promised.

Kat4Carolina

Thanks for the review.

We did the last 7 day that the Victory does in Sept last year and had a blast.

LOVED Halifax and St John....I discovered Rickard's White Citrus Beer.

Wish we could get that in the US.

We are boarding two weeks from tomorrow. Glad to hear you had a good time. As far as the weather goes, we are open to what happens (so bad storms though). Anyway, I just checked the spots we went to in Alaska on our June cruise a couple years ago and the forecast was in the fifties. We lucked out then (shorts weather) and maybe we will this time.

Great review - really enjoyed it. We will be on the Victory on Aug 9th and also will be spending 4 days in New York. (near Times Square). Would love to hear about the restaurants you went to.

We stayed in Times Square as well so hopefully I can share a few places that you may enjoy.

Lunches:

Junior's - (simply because it was right across from our hotel and we were starving after the flight - plus I wanted to try the cheesecake)

Hubby and I split a burger and fries/onion rings and cheesecake. Plenty of food. Burger and fries ok, onion rings and cheesecake - DELICIOUS!

The Boathouse in Central Park -

I am a romantic movie freak and I have seen so many movies with scenes here that I really wanted to go. The setting was incredible. Food was pretty good, I got the pork chops and really enjoyed. Hubby got the burger and it was fine. It came with homeade tater tots which were great.

(Made reservations on opentable.com)

Dinner:

John's Pizza (near Times Square) -

We met some of my friends who live in the city here and who recommended the place. I couldn't believe the inside...I probably would have walked past this place on the street and not given it a second glance. It is a converted church and has a very cool atmosphere. Not your typical pizzeria! It was delicious.

Tao -

Probably my favorite dining experience. Very cool atmosphere, wonderful drinks and sushi and fabulous dessert. (Something similar to the Warm Melting Cake on Carnival, but better)

(Made reservations on opentable.com)

Hawaiian Tropic Zone -

I'm sure you are probably scratching your head on this one, but I actually recommended it and of course my husband wasn't going to turn it down. I had read that it was pretty good and we needed a place nearby to eat prior to seeing the Lion King on Friday night. I figured most places right around the Theater District would be too crazy on a Friday when we had somewhere to be. The atmosphere was really, really cool, the drinks fantastic and the food actually very good. We split the pu-pu platter and it was plenty of food. I figured my husband was doing something so nice for me (he surprised me with 4th ROW to Lion King) and figured I could re-pay him by going to see some pretty women! :)

My friend who works near Times Square gave these other recommendations:

Roxy's Deli

Virgil's BBQ

BLT

Burger Shack

Hope this helps...enjoy!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Will attempt to try some out. I noticed your sign-in name. We moved from Wilmington, NC 11 years ago. Ironically, I went on the Victory out of Charleston, SC in Oct 2006. Everyone was laid back on that cruise. Thanks again!

Great review - really enjoyed it. We will be on the Victory on Aug 9th and also will be spending 4 days in New York. (near Times Square). Would love to hear about the restaurants you went to.

Two other great restaurants to check out are Carmine's and Ellen's Stardust Diner. Ellen's is great fun, servers are all performers and will periodically belt out some Broadway show tunes.

http://www.carminesnyc.com/

http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/

Archived