Walkie-Talkies allowed/suggested??

got twins?

We will be crusing on the Elation August 9th with our 8 yr old twins...

I read somewhere that walkie-talkies are a good way to keep tabs on eachother.

Has anyone tried this...does it work and is it "allowed" ??

If it does/is, it's a great idea!!

Thanks!!

:) :)

We will be crusing on the Elation August 9th with our 8 yr old twins...

I read somewhere that walkie-talkies are a good way to keep tabs on eachother.

Has anyone tried this...does it work and is it "allowed" ??

If it does/is, it's a great idea!!

Thanks!!

Yes, it is allowed and folks use them with varying degrees of success. After all, these are big steel ships and radios don't tend to work terribly well in such structures.

Having said that, I always see folks walking about with those little 2 way radios. The longer the advertised range the better you'll be able to communicate on board...

Other than camp carnival where would little kids be without their parents that they would need radios? :confused:

But yes unfortunately radios are allowed and do not always work that well. The result of that is mom (screech) shouting very (crackle) loudly into the radio (screech cackle) that she is in the main theatre (screech HEY GET OFF MY CHANNEL LADY) with dad and little Timmy should hurry up and find his brother because Bingo is about to start.

I use the Motorola T5500 Walkabouts, they work well around the ship. You get 2 with the charger and you select one of many subchannels. YOu can pick up a pair for around 35.00 on ebay. Cobra makes a good high wattage pair, you can find the Cobras at Walmart.

Fred

We will be crusing on the Elation August 9th with our 8 yr old twins... Has anyone tried this...does it work and is it "allowed" ?

Cruise Critic is full of people full of themselves who give you opinions versus answers. This question brings out the most and least respectively.

I didn't assume you'd let and 8 year old wander alone, and will not give you an editorial opinion of my experience cruising with kids and walkie-talkies.

The skinny: two-way radios are a "get what you pay for" item as with most electronics. Top brands are Motorola, Cobra and Uniden. I might have left out a couple, but I have three sets of Motorola radios.

We own the ones with both channels and sub-codes. Most of them are in that category and are both GMRS and FMRS radio service.

FMRS (Family Mobile Radio Service) are worthless on a cruise ship. They are a half watt in transmit power.

GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) are the better quality, use higher power and require a license to operate in the US. You can apply online for one (and get it immediately at http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile)

Any radio that has package labeling GMRS/FMRS has the power and channels to transmit on GMRS frequencies.

The shops aboard Carnival and other cruise lines sell the radios, so don't be discouraged by others telling you cruise lines prohibit the use aboard.

Some ports of call have public service (police, fire, EMS) in the same frequency band so listen closely as you approach port. If you hear other traffic then select another channel.

Get the radios in advance. Put the batteries in, test them and show your kids how they work. Discover how to switch them to vibrate so you can "hear" the radio call in your shorts pocket.

We carried them on at least a dozen cruises when my daughter was growing up and they were really valuable. We used them as tools and not toys.

Today when we cruise if one leaves the cabin without the other to scout chairs in the morning we call the other if we find two together. Works great and eliminates chair saving for more than about ten minutes :)

Finally, enjoy your cruise. Don't be surprised if your kids want to be in Camp Carnival with the radio turned off. Make the most of those times. :D

Great info above.

Look specifically for dual mode that supports GMRS. Read your instruction manual and get them in GMRS mode. I believe the FRS is limited to 500 mW of power whereas most of the GMRS (including the ones we use) are 2 watts. Ours were a $100 set of Motorola's and they work anyplace on the ship...as long as you are not separated by more than 3 decks.

In FRS mode...they are useless.

We use ours ALL the time. When my kids play in the neighborhood...they have them on. We liked being able to leave the little kiddos in the room watching a movie and us going to hottub! They can call if they want...but they never call...just bouncing on the bed and popcorn everywhere.

Wal-mart or Target MAY have some decent models...but you will have better luck finding a nice set at REI, Cabellas or Bass Pro. Look for a set that is $50+ and has a built in charger.

Enjoy!

Other than camp carnival where would little kids be without their parents that they would need radios? :confused:

But yes unfortunately radios are allowed and do not always work that well. The result of that is mom (screech) shouting very (crackle) loudly into the radio (screech cackle) that she is in the main theatre (screech HEY GET OFF MY CHANNEL LADY) with dad and little Timmy should hurry up and find his brother because Bingo is about to start.

Mind if I suggest that you're reading too much into the OPs question? The OP never said that their kid(s) would not be with a parent. They simply asked if they could communicate with the 2-ways? That could mean that the dad is with their son while mom is in the spa. I give them the benefit of the doubt. :)

Oh, and my DW, DD5 and I used them on the Freedom last December and they worked great. Like others suggested buy long range 2-ways and you'll be fine.

We have used them before and plan to use them again. Just buy extra batteries. They seem to eat them up.

Look for the pair that comes with a recharge dock. They cost a bit more up front, but all you do is drop the radios in their dock (like a cordless phone).

Something like this will serve you well:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-T5000-Talkabout-Radios-Rechargeable/dp/B000IX2SXG

Mind if I suggest that you're reading too much into the OPs question? The OP never said that their kid(s) would not be with a parent. They simply asked if they could communicate with the 2-ways? That could mean that the dad is with their son while mom is in the spa. I give them the benefit of the doubt. :)

And I never said she would let her kids roam around without a parent.

She did say she was sailing with her two 8 year olds and needed radios. Why would that be important information if that wasn't her intent?

At any rate she has her answer. Thats the important thing. Right?

And I never said she would let her kids roam around without a parent.
Ok' date=' you're right, you never said it so that also means you're not implying it, right? ok.

She did say she was sailing with her two 8 year olds and needed radios. Why would that be important information if that wasn't her intent?
But wait, that is what you're implying, that she would let her kids roam without a parent? Correct? Did you just contradict yourself?

We use radios on every cruise. My husband and I often travel w/ my parents. Our radios are great and we have never had any interference from others. The only time we were not able to contact each other is when a friend of ours was taken to the infirmary way in the bottom of the ship and we were near the top deck. We can get about 5 miles of distance or 25 Floors or 280,000 sq. ft. on or jobcom radios per the info. Our radios are pretty expensive, because I originally bought them to use for my event planning business. The above poster's info is excellent and a good set is worth investing in. We usually don't travel with children but know from experience that even adults can misplace each other on a huge ship. I would not go to a mall w/o a cell phone to stay in contact w/ my family so i wouldn't be w/o a 2 way radio on a large vessel, bigger than some of largest shopping malls.

Ok, you're right, you never said it so that also means you're not implying it, right? ok.

But wait, that is what you're implying, that she would let her kids roam without a parent? Correct? Did you just contradict yourself?

I have my opinion and you have yours. Quit being mean. Ok?

You and I can't say for sure who is right unless the OP decides to answer.

It was my observation and my opinion. Period.

Now be nice. Ok? ;)

What about the radios they rent on the ship? Anyone have any experience with them? I was discussing this issue with my DH and he said there are radios for sale with 100's of channels so it shouldn't be difficult to find a channel not in use. I'm going with a group of 11 women and I thought it would be nice to maybe have one with the "night owls" and one with me (The Mama of the group). Don't want to get that knock on the door at 3 am again because someone hasn't come home!

Donna

I have my opinion and you have yours. Quit being mean. Ok?

You and I can't say for sure who is right unless the OP decides to answer.

It was my observation and my opinion. Period.

Now be nice. Ok? ;)

Quit being mean? Now be nice? You're the one accusing (or at least implying) the OP of leaving their kids alone and you're telling me to be nice? Unbelievable.

Again, the OP never said that they'd leave their kids alone so stop implying it. You be nice.

Quit being mean? Now be nice? You're the one accusing (or at least implying) the OP of leaving their kids alone and you're telling me to be nice? Unbelievable.

Again, the OP never said that they'd leave their kids alone so stop implying it. You be nice.

Ok its obvious you are looking for a fight and I will not give you the satisfaction.

People like you are not worth my time.

So other than picking on me if you have anything intelligent to say or to add to this thread then that is where you should focus your energy.

I will be more than happy to apologize to the OP if my observation is not correct.

In the mean time I will be the bigger person and walk away from you.

Have a nice day. :D

Finally, enjoy your cruise. Don't be surprised if your kids want to be in Camp Carnival with the radio turned off. Make the most of those times. :D

Thanks blusry...we will!!

And, thank you all for your very detailed answers (and all of your defenses to my oblivious and innocent question ;) )

I tend to be "too wordy" usually...but here, my lack of elaboration has caused a dispute that was unnecessary...sorry.

If it helps to know, "illin" (and the others) had the right idea for how I'd like to use the walkies...to touch bases if we (kids and/or parents) become separated. I want the kids to be able to get ahold of me from Camp Carnival if they want to "get out" and join us at the pool, etc.

I'd love for them to be able to enjoy a movie in the room like "illin"s kids while we have a stroll on the deck.

I do not plan on having them "roam the decks" on their own...but I'd like them to have a safe amount of independence too.

It's mostly to use in case ANY of us accidentally get separated from eachother....I don't want to waste my precious vacation time wandering and looking for children (or husband for that matter!!).

I truly appreciate all of your info...I will start shopping today!!

(Sorry if this posts twice...I am still getting the hang of this...but I thought I'd better respond)

Thanks blusry...we will!!

And, thank you all for your very detailed answers (and all of your defenses to my oblivious and innocent question ;) )

I tend to be "too wordy" usually...but here, my lack of elaboration has caused a dispute that was unnecessary...sorry.

If it helps to know, "illin" (and the others) had the right idea for how I'd like to use the walkies...to touch bases if we (kids and/or parents) become separated. I want the kids to be able to get ahold of me from Camp Carnival if they want to "get out" and join us at the pool, etc.

I'd love for them to be able to enjoy a movie in the room like "illin"s kids while we have a stroll on the deck.

I do not plan on having them "roam the decks" on their own...but I'd like them to have a safe amount of independence too.

It's mostly to use in case ANY of us accidentally get separated from eachother....I don't want to waste my precious vacation time wandering and looking for children (or husband for that matter!!).

I truly appreciate all of your info...I will start shopping today!!

If you get the dual operation radios, put 4 FRS Channels with sub-codes into memory. This will give you 1/2 watt power good for short distances, when high power( 1-2 watts) is not needed. Also put 4 GMRS Channels with sub-codes into memory, good for when high power is required to get through.

Also, take along some duracell alkaline batteries good for when your rechargeable ones go dead on you. This way you wont be caught short. Duracells last longer than the re-chargeable batteries.

Rule of thumb: When on high power, the radio goes dead very quickly; low power stretches out your transmit time on the air.

Hope this helps!

Ron

Archived