Skimboard allowed on the ship?

Hi! Our 17 year old son would like to bring his skimboard on our Adventure of the Seas cruise next week. I was just browsing through the online q and a and noticed that surfboards were not allowed on the ship. Does anyone have personal experience bringing a skimboard on the ship or know if they are or are not allowed. I called RCCL and got two different answers. Thanks!

Not sure what the difference is between a surfboard or a skimboard, but if surfboards are not permitted, he should be prepared for them to ban his skimboard as well. This sounds like the kind of question which can easily get as many different answers as the number of people you ask and getting the right answer will depend on the depth of knowledge of the person you ask. I suspect that not that many CSRs have been asked this question and thus may have improvised their answers. You might call again and ask for a supervisor but I'm not sure you will know the answer until you board. Ultimately it is the crew onboard that will make the call. I'd make sure your son is prepared to hear that he can't use the skimboard while on the ship.:)

Thanks! A skimboard is like a "boogie board" and is the same size (48 inches long by 24 inches wide). I have already told him earlier today that I am not sure if he can bring it. We had never even though of it being banned until I read the banned substances page today and saw surfboards. If we do bring it to let the crew decide if it is ok do you know what would happen to it if it is not allowed? It was expensive so we do not want to have it confiscated. Would they just store it until the cruise is over?

Thanks! A skimboard is like a "boogie board" and is the same size (48 inches long by 24 inches wide). I have already told him earlier today that I am not sure if he can bring it. We had never even though of it being banned until I read the banned substances page today and saw surfboards. If we do bring it to let the crew decide if it is ok do you know what would happen to it if it is not allowed? It was expensive so we do not want to have it confiscated. Would they just store it until the cruise is over?

you would have to pay extra to take it on the airplane and what would he do with it on the ship? the adventure of the seas doesn't have a surfing pool.:confused:

you would have to pay extra to take it on the airplane and what would he do with it on the ship? the adventure of the seas doesn't have a surfing pool.:confused:

No, but ports of call have waves... :)

I say go for it! We own a few skim boards, I would think you can just put it through luggage, (probably put in a boogie board bag would keep it from not being thrown around by the baggage handlers) and brought on board like a regular piece of luggage. I know when our family of 5 brings all of our sets of snorkel gear etc...the bag is pretty big! Obviously you know you won't be able to use it on board, so on the islands at the beach I think you would have a blast!

Good luck and happy cruising :)

Thanks for all the replies :) We had ordered a skim board bag to use to check at the airport (no extra charge for this) and were planning on leaving it with our luggage with the porters at the ship as well. It is not heavy or large (4 ft by 2 ft and fiberglass). He would carry it on and off the ship at the ports to use at the beaches in Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten and St Thomas. These are really popular in the Houston/ Galveston area for teens...guess not so much other parts of the country. Would love to know if anyone has had personal experience taking one off and on the ship at ports :) Again thanks for all the helps so far!

Hi,

We packed our son's in his luggage (his fits in a duffle) We have also flown with one without bag. just tagged it and he was able to bring it on as carry on (home from Hawaii) Call the airlines...if you can bring it on the plane, it can go on board.

Anne

We've brought my son's skimboard on our last 3 cruises! No problem as we pack it in a large duffle (with wheels) that we also pack our snorkles, masks, a kite and other beach stuff in.

Take it and enjoy!

Johnathon

Johnathon,

Thanks so much! Our younger boys skimboards will fit in a duffle but our older son's is a little too long and has its own case...I hope that won't be a problem. I am glad to hear that RCCL did not mind you taking it on and off the ship at the ports of call. We will give it a try as he is really looking forward to it!

The only skim boards I'm familiar with are thin plywood boards that are used to slide along the watery sand. Kind of like skateboarding on the sand. My cousins used to this when we went to Catalina Island in Southern CA back in 1962. I see they're a lot fancier now.

194359099_dd701a7fc6.jpg?v=0SkimBoard.jpg

Alex%20skim%20board%204.jpg

No, but ports of call have waves... :)

I live on the West coast a mile or two from the beach and they're definitely popular here. You know the name O'Neill? :) He lives here in Santa Cruz and opened his first surfboard shop down by the beach many eons ago. They've really changed! Used to be thin plywood. And, I just noticed this website from 5 years ago in my town. I don't remember skimming looking like this 45 years ago. Used to be just along the sand with a thin sheet of water. It could also be that my cousins just weren't doing it right. :rolleyes:

http://www.skimonline.com/news/2003/santa_cruz_2003.htm

Thanks for all the replies :) We had ordered a skim board bag to use to check at the airport (no extra charge for this) and were planning on leaving it with our luggage with the porters at the ship as well. It is not heavy or large (4 ft by 2 ft and fiberglass). He would carry it on and off the ship at the ports to use at the beaches in Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten and St Thomas. These are really popular in the Houston/ Galveston area for teens...guess not so much other parts of the country. Would love to know if anyone has had personal experience taking one off and on the ship at ports :) Again thanks for all the helps so far!

• 1 year later...

Airlines do not count a skim board (or a boogie board) as additional luggage. It counts as one piece. If you are on an airline with free luggage, no problem if it is within your allowance. If not, you will pay the same as for a suitcase. My daughter has brought both on the airlines for land trips but has never bothered for a cruise.

In fact once Delta lost her skim board. It was delivered to our house 4 days later by a courier with lots of conveyor belt scars. She was just so happy to see it that she laughed at the war wounds. By the way on Delta we now have to buy a bag to put it in.

Well, I'm bringing my ironing board. Call me a Senior Citizen Geritol addict. cruisingator2 just must allow me to board the Oasis! I wax my ironing board with EVOO, and Dudes, it just skims! I recently got arrested for wearing a Lands End one-piece bathing suit because it was 10 years old. But, my AARP card got me off the hook.

Before you decide to leave it with the porters, let me describe something I saw on a cruise:

On embarkation day, we were walking down the hallway towards our room, and we heard a huge thumping noise coming from an open "crew only" door. Of course we looked into the room, which was a stairwell with a large landing at the foot, and we saw that someone one floor up was literally throwing suitcases down the stairs. I'm talking about the HUGE suitcases -- the ones into which I could fit. The suitcases were just bump-bumping down the stairs into a big pile on the landing. We saw some of our own suitcases in there, so we reached in and grabbed them out of the pile (before more stuff could be thrown on top of them). We also grabbed out our well-wrapped case of water, which had been thrown down the stairs.

I'm sure the airline treats luggage just as badly, but I wasn't used to seeing it done!

I don't know anything about these skim boards, but I do suspect that even in a bag, one might suffer badly if it were treated in this manner. I'd either carry it onboard myself OR pay to insure it.

Well, I'm bringing my ironing board. Call me a Senior Citizen Geritol addict. cruisingator2 just must allow me to board the Oasis! I wax my ironing board with EVOO, and Dudes, it just skims! I recently got arrested for wearing a Lands End one-piece bathing suit because it was 10 years old. But, my AARP card got me off the hook.

Wow, you really need to let it go. Obsession is not healthy, even when covered with sarcasm....:rolleyes:

jc

Archived