baggage weight

VictoriaH

We are flying in August 2008 on Delta from the US to Stockholm, staying 4 days there. Then we continue to St. Petersburg on SAS. The luggage weight restrictions are much more restricted on the SAS flight. Has anyone had any experiences on the restrictions of weight of the carry on bag? Does SAS weigh the carry on even if the bag meets the size restriction? If so, what does SAS charge for extra weight of the carry on? :confused:

We are flying in August 2008 on Delta from the US to Stockholm, staying 4 days there. Then we continue to St. Petersburg on SAS. The luggage weight restrictions are much more restricted on the SAS flight. Has anyone had any experiences on the restrictions of weight of the carry on bag? Does SAS weigh the carry on even if the bag meets the size restriction? If so, what does SAS charge for extra weight of the carry on? :confused:

You may have a serious problem, depending how the ticket was booked. SAS intra Europe checked luggage allowance is 44 pounds (20KG) on an economy ticket.

Carryon luggage is restricted to 8KG .

Overweight checked luggage is 10Euros per KG.

You may be FAR better off upgrading your SAS tickets to Business class. 66 pounds allowed. (Star Alliance Gold FF are allowed an additional 44 pounds on economy tickets)

IF this was booked as ONE ticket with a stopover in Stockholm, you SHOULD be allowed your US baggage allowance-2 bags, 50 pounds each. Please check your booking and post back.

Thanks "greatam" for your reply. Our tickets were booked as 2 tickets. The one ticket was US to Stockholm and the second ticket was Stockholm to St. Petersburg. This was done because we had not planned to stay in Stockholm but were booked to go on to Riga for 4 days. Several months later the schedule departing from Riga was changed and we did not want to travel on that schedule so we decided to stay over for 4 days in Stockholm. So we then had to book the flight on to St. Petersburg. I checked and to upgrade from economy to first class would be about $700.00 additional for each of us. I believe we could pay for quite a few pounds of overweight baggage at the cost!

I am not really concerned about being much over weight, perhaps only overweight by 5-10 pounds on the carry on baggage. I have received differing information about carry on weight. I know that all airlines have a weight restriction for carry on but have been told that none of them bother to weigh the carry on bag if it meets the size restriction. My question is does SAS actually weigh the carry on or do they let it pass thru if the size is correct?

I'm guessing from your location that you're a U.S. citizen. I'm sure you've already considered this, but just in case you haven't, please remember that you need a visa to visit Russia (you don't for Stockholm).

Thank you for all of your comments.

From Sweden to Russia, economy class SAS allows a total check baggage weight 44 pounds, no matter how many baggage pieces. Carry on allowed is one piece only, including purse, etc. This allowance is 17 pounds.

So you can see that SAS is much more restrictive than Air France. If we had known this we would never have booked on SAS! Like many of the airlines they changed the baggage allowance after we booked and paid for our flights. This is not fair!

We are very experienced travelers so yes, we have current passports and we have a Russian Visa. That was another big expense.

I fear this may be our last travel abroad for a while. We spend a great amount of money for our trips and we do not care to pay so much and have so much stress!

So you can see that SAS is much more restrictive than Air France. If we had known this we would never have booked on SAS! Like many of the airlines they changed the baggage allowance after we booked and paid for our flights. This is not fair!

We are very experienced travelers ...

If you were very experienced travellers, you would know that SAS has not changed the baggage allowance after you booked. That baggage allowance is pretty much the standard economy class baggage allowance for international travel around the world. The major exception to this is flights to/from/via North America.

The standard allowance is applicable because your Stockholm->St Petersburg flight is on a separate ticket (and therefore totally separate travel, as far as the airlines are concerned) from the ticket on which you fly to Stockholm.

If you were (hypothetically) to book to fly from Stockholm to St Petersburg on Air France, you would have a baggage allowance which is pretty much identical to that of SAS.

So your criticism of SAS is quite wrong and unfair.

Real experienced travelers have been living and flying with these same baggage weights and restrictions for years.

The European airlines have held a strong line on this for years. If you don't like it you have choices:

1. don't fly in Europe on separate tickets

2. fly a higher class of service

3. pay the over charges

Archived