Luggage Question

carosou

We are new to the PG and will be on the August 27 cruise. We booked air through Regent, flying to LA on Delta and then on to Tahiti with Air Tahiti Nui. Will our bags be transferred directly to Air Tahiti Nui or will we have to pick them up from Delta and then recheck them?

I'm pretty sure they are partner airlines and your bags will be checked through to final destination but you could check with Delta to confirm.

You should come say hello and introduce yourself on the Roll Call. We have a pretty good size group forming:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=608704

John and Denise

Our TA (who has done this trip multiple times and books LOTS of clients on the PG) always advised us to collect our bags at LAX and recheck them. Apparently there have been problems with bags getting lost.

If you have enough time in your layover, I would pick them up and recheck them.

Have a fantastic time - you are in for the treat of a lifetime!!!

We did roll-aboard size bags to LAX then checked them in with ATN on to Papeete. On the way back, we checked them through the whole way. They arrived with us, but I wasn't worried so much coming home as going. It would be pretty difficult to get your bag once you are on the ship if it got lost. (Plus you wouldn't have your clothes).

Our TA (who has done this trip multiple times and books LOTS of clients on the PG) always advised us to collect our bags at LAX and recheck them. Apparently there have been problems with bags getting lost.

Seems like a lot of extra effort and that your bags could still be lost: same airlines and airline personel handling the same bags. What am I missing?

Slightly off topic but concerning luggage. I noticed in Jan Price's Tahiti book that she states that ATN has a 1 bag limit and a surcharge over that, yet the ATN website shows a 2 bag limit.

Anyone else notice this.

We just had one bag each to check with them, so don't know about that, but they are REALLY picky about the weight of both your checked luggage and your carry on. They actually weighed the carry on's.

As far as the reason to recheck luggage in LAX, you have to go to a different terminal for ATN and recheck in yourself. Lots of places for luggage to go missing there when going between different airlines.

Not only does the luggage go from the domestic terminals over to the international, but Air Tahiti Nui doesn't have interline agreements with all of the carriers. Your domestic carrier will tell you at checkin and will tell you whether they can check through or not. Or you can call Air Tahiti Nui and ask them if they have an interline agreement...

And when you return, you'll have to collect and recheck at LAX after customs...

Archived