Help - Charleston Port to Airport

cricket03

Have searched for info on this baord and can't seem to find it -- does anyone know about sailing into Charleston port and then transferring to the airport?

Is the airport far from the port and are there taxis waiting at the port? If the ship docks at 8am, passengers disembark at 10am and our flight leaves at noon, would we be able to get to the airport by 11 or 11:15?

I would appreciate someone's advice on this quickly if possible-- thanks!!

You shouldn't have any trouble getting a taxi. The port for Charleston is right downtown close to everything. Being that a ship is pulling in there should be taxis everywhere.....if not, walk less than a block and you'll be able to get one!

The airport is not very close to downtown but it's not toooo far away. If you are off the ship by 10 you should be able to get a taxi and be at the airport with no problems by 11. The airport here is NOT very big either, so once you get there it won't take too long to get checked in.

Have searched for info on this baord and can't seem to find it -- does anyone know about sailing into Charleston port and then transferring to the airport?

Is the airport far from the port and are there taxis waiting at the port? If the ship docks at 8am, passengers disembark at 10am and our flight leaves at noon, would we be able to get to the airport by 11 or 11:15?

I would appreciate someone's advice on this quickly if possible-- thanks!!

The Charleston Airport is 13 miles from the port, approx. 30 minutes with traffic. Just flag a porter when you find your luggage and tell him you need a cab to the airport. They'll take care of you. You can always buy an airport transfer from the ship and then there would be a shuttle bus waiting for you and you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Thanks to both of you -- I have more confidence now about the flight reservations I made for noon. This website is awesome for getting great info!

Enjoy your cruise. I've done that one twice so I obviouly enjoyed it! We stayed on Promenade Deck, which is the one you can walk all the way around the ship on. We found the Atlantic Ocean to be rough that first night but then it smooths out once you get around Florida. There's a grill station on Lido deck that makes eggs and omelets to order. I did that every morning. Then walk down the stairs to the Royal Observatory lounge on the deck right below. There is glass on all 3 sides and it takes a while for people to discover you can actually go down there and take your tray and enjoy breakfast that way.

If your ship docks at 0800 there will be passengers disembarking by 0830. Tell your purser the day before that you have a flight at whatever time and they will get your bags scheduled in an early disembarkation number. I don't recommend hauling your own bags fron the customs shed to the taxi stand, as it's about a block-long walk in hot weather, but there are lots of porters available and your porter will get you directly to your cab.

There's a disembarkation briefing at 1100 in the theater the day before docking, and it's reshown on the TV in your room. Watch it and follow their suggestions.

I've never sailed out of Charleston but the area down there looks like it's all gravel. Are there actually paved sidewalks to walk on with the luggage? I'd think it would be harder to walk through the gravel area with the luggage......

• 2 weeks later...

We will be returning to Charleston, my plan at the moment is to rent a car and drive home, but I'm seeing more reasonable airfares now. How risky will it be to try to make an 11:30am flight? We do have an option for a flight later in the evening.

Can anyone provide an estimate of the taxi fare to the airport?

Thanks

Looks like the taxi fare would be $25 based on this page:

http://www.chs-airport.com/taxi.htm

As for a flight of 11:30. What time does the ship pull into Charleston that morning? I'd check with the cruiseline to find out what the earliest flight they would suggest would be.

Charleston's airport is NOT big at all so it wouldn't take a long time to get through it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I live in the Charleston area and fly almost weekly for work. I routinely get to the airport only 45 mins before my flight and have no trouble getting through security and on the plane - not that I would recommend that, but wanted to ease your mind a bit about the size of the airport!

As mentioned by other posters, the trip from the port to the airport should take 20-30 minutes depending on traffic around the port.

And also remember, you can go to the service desk and request early disembarkation if you are carrying your own bags off the ship, or an earlier assigned time if you will be picking up your luggage. I have always found NCL to be accomodating in this regard.

Too bad you're not staying to enjoy Charleston for a day or two, but hope you enjoy the cruise!

• 1 month later...

Hi Suzy

You sound like the lady I need to to be getting information and help from. My best friend and I will be getting off of the Norwegian Majesty in Charleston on Nov 15th. We are just getting ready to book our air and decided this morning that it would be a sin to just fly on home that day, a Saturday when we could spend 1 night there giving us almost 2 full days to see more of this lovely city. Now we don't want the fanciest place, we want to find some where in the historical area with clean rooms that we can walk to places from. Tell me where to stay and what we need to see. We were there once for a few hours while on a cruise back in 2004, took a carriage ride, ate lunch and Aw Shucks, this is the kinda stuff we like. Can't wait to hear from you, Glynna

Hey Glynna,

I will try to help you out. I don't live in Charleston but we do visit 2-3 times per year. We will be getting on the Majesty for the 7 night cruise (Nov15-22) as you are getting off--so keep her clean for us.You are right about staying in the Historic District.Most inns and hotels are walking distance from the ship---very cheap cab ride with luggage. Charleston will fill up on a Saturday night so you need to make reservations "NOW".Nothing is inexpensive in the Historic DIstrict but you can walk to everything.We just put our car in the garage and walk everywhere when we visit.Try to stay in the Market area. Plan on spending $175 to $375 per night for a weekend stay.We always stay at the Elliott House Inn on Queen Street. They cater to couples but I do think they have a few rooms with twin beds.Days Inn would probably be the least expensive.We also like the Meeting Street Inn,Indigo Inn, Ansonborough Inn,and Vendue Inn.The Mills House hotel is nice if you like a large historic hotel. You really can't go wrong with any of the inns and hotels in the Market area..Again everything is walkable and safe.

Try Hyman's Seafood for dinner---voted best seafood restaurant in the South for 9 straight years---reasonable and very casual.You've done the carriage tour so get out and explore.Walk down beautiful Church Street to the Battery.Watch us sail away on the Majesty from Waterfront Park! Explore a few of the museum homes and the Exchange Building. Take a ghost walk that evening with Bulldog Tours. We love the "Holy City". Visit a few of her beautiful churches. Everything is close and anyone will help you with suggestions and directions---that famous Southern Hospitality is alive and well here.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise.

Joe

Joe,

you are such a sweetie! I will be checking out these hotels you listed and apprreiciate all this great information. You should really just take off another couple weeks and meet us in Philly. I always thought it would be so much fun to be able to just stay on a cruise ship while everyone else had to disembark at the end. I can set you up in an outside cabin for about $50 a day on that ship, you can't afford to stay home. Thanks again, Glynna

Joe,we're on the same cruise as Cricket,CPT Trips and Glynna.We will be staying two nights in Charleston after the cruise.We did the buggy ride a few years ago and will probably do it again.We would also like to visit one of the plantations.Which one would you recommend?Any other sites,outside the market area,that you would suggest?

Don

Joe,we're on the same cruise as Cricket,CPT Trips and Glynna.We will be staying two nights in Charleston after the cruise.We did the buggy ride a few years ago and will probably do it again.We would also like to visit one of the plantations.Which one would you recommend?Any other sites,outside the market area,that you would suggest?

Don

Don.

Do you have transportation? Most of the plantations are a ways from the Historic District. Boone Hall is in Mt. Pleasant and Magnolia, Middleton, and Drayton are located out on the Ashely River.I do believe one of the tour companies (Gray Line ?) offers a motorized city tour and a visit to one of the plantations.I am sure the ladies at the Visitors Center could tell you.It's been a while since I visited any of the plantations.We always stay in the Market area and If I am going to pay those rates my butt is staying put!!! My favorite was Drayton Hall because it is the only one with the original manor house.All of the other manor homes were burned and destroyed in the "War of Northern Aggression".Drayton Hall has never had power or water and the house is as original as you are going to find.(built around 1736 or so)Boone Hall has a reproduction of the manor house built in the 30's.All of the plantations are interesting and worth a visit.

Other attractions out of the Market area worth visiting:

SC Aquarium /Imax theater/ Fort Sumter Tours all at Aquarium Wharf

Patriots Point Naval Museum with the "Fighting Lady" USS Yorktown

CSS Hunley Museum open Saturdays and Sundays

Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie (On Sullivan's Island)

Beaches on Isle Of Palms and Folley Beach

Keep in mind you could easily spend a week in the Historic District and not get bored.There are so many historic homes,churches, buildings, and museums to tour.Great dining, theater, and shopping.Everything is easily walkable and safe.The (DASH) shuttle trolleys are a great way to get around downtown or go up to the Aquarium area. I think it is 1.00 per ride or an all day pass for $5.00 or so.

Hope this helps and I am sure you will fall in love with the "Holy City".

Joe

I've never sailed out of Charleston but the area down there looks like it's all gravel. Are there actually paved sidewalks to walk on with the luggage? I'd think it would be harder to walk through the gravel area with the luggage......

We've sailed out of Charleston 3 times and only one of those times parked outside. The other 2 times we were directed into the warehouse building or the covered lot over by the aquarium to park (a shuttle picked us up there). There are sidewalks and I don't remember having an issue with dragging luggage over gravel.

Archived