NEWS: Carnival Reroutes Fantasy Due to Oil Spill

LauraS

I read somewhere that you will drop your luggage at the terminal and then park where they direct you to. Then you will return to the terminal on a shuttle.

Is my free parking spot across the street still available? :p

Dave

I filled out my fun pass online but it never asked about my pre-cruise plans, only my post-cruise plans. Did I miss something? It said my registration was complete. I'm flying in the night before the cruise so I'm hoping there's no issues with me boarding a shuttle.

This is exactly what I asked Carnival directly and they had no answers. The Fun Pass DOES NOT ask for any information about pre-cruise travel plans. Carnival is really only interested in the people for whom they have arranged pre-cruise flight arrangments. I am very concerned about the "available slots" that will be for people who are flying in not arranged by Carnival.

Can anyone share with me what time we are supposed to get to the NO airport. First Carnival said 10:30 a.m. and later 9:00 a.m. Did anyone get any specific information about exactly where we should get the bus? This is my first cruise and I don't have any experience with this. Carnival is vague and uninformative with exact information.

When you filled out your "fun pass" on line YOU told them your pre & post cruise travel plans. Based on the information YOU provided, they then know how many people to expect at the airport ON THE CRUSE DEPARTURE DATE and have made arrangements for that many passengers to depart the airport on the buses. Same goes for the return to the New Orleans airport on the return date of the cruise. Sorry about that.

Rok4u2 -- could you share where you got the information about Carnival knowing how may people expect on the way back?

I don't understand. When I filled out my fun pass, I was asked how I would get to the port. Flight, car and whatever. I'd think everyone answered the same questions.

Granted, there is still time to preregister plus some who don't and fill out whatever at the port. But, yes, I'm sure they've a pretty good idea how many they'll have to transport from the NO airport to Mobile.

Can anyone share with me what time we are supposed to get to the NO airport. First Carnival said 10:30 a.m. and later 9:00 a.m. Did anyone get any specific information about exactly where we should get the bus? This is my first cruise and I don't have any experience with this. Carnival is vague and uninformative with exact information.

The only other time I used Carnival's shuttle service there was someone directing us where to go in the baggage area, and I have heard that would be the case again this time. Based on my previous experience, which was truely awful, be sure to have water and snacks with you because once you are in line you can't leave to get anything (there are no food services in the baggage or waiting area) without fear of missing the bus you are waiting for. Yes, there will be another bus, but you will have to wait for it.

When is your cruise? We are on he Fantasy on Aug 23.

We are on the August 18th sailing, and they said that "starting around 10:30 a.m., reps will be there to direct you to the bus.". I didn't hear 9:00. Hmmm... Now I'm going to call again. Just think how much easier it would have been for Carnival to just PUT THIS INFO INTO THEIR MESSAGE TO US!!! Grrrr.... Well, I guess if they don't mind getting thousands of calls asking the same questions... :)

The only other time I used Carnival's shuttle service there was someone directing us where to go in the baggage area, and I have heard that would be the case again this time. Based on my previous experience, which was truely awful, be sure to have water and snacks with you because once you are in line you can't leave to get anything (there are no food services in the baggage or waiting area) without fear of missing the bus you are waiting for. Yes, there will be another bus, but you will have to wait for it.

When is your cruise? We are on he Fantasy on Aug 23.

Thanks for the information!! We're on 8/14 cruise.

The latest Fantasy review was posted by someone who rode the shuttle from the airport to Mobile...he said it was about 3 hours. I've seen 2 as the estimate but from Gulfport it's about 1 & 1/2 to NO and a little over an hour to Mobile. Add those together and, since surely the bus isn't high-tailing it, 3 would be about right.

Anyway, I'd plan accordingly. I don't know if Carnival is providing water or a snack but surely at this point they can say if they are.

i booked our cruise through the elvis site and i called them about busses and times and they told me that flyers and drivers will be able to board the busses at new orleans and transport to Mobile..

they werent sure of the times of departure or arrival but that all would get there..but i have a scooter to take and its a full size one so that wont fit under the carriage like they suggested..so now im waiting on Carnival to reply to me for what im to do..i suggested that i take the extra mileage and time and incovience and they can give me onboard credit..So now im waiting on their reply..:confused:

I too was looking forward to seeing the Mississippi but now i wont be cause its my last cruise due to my handicap..

hope we dont loose sailing time and nothing gets cut short..being that its only a 4 day cruise i want it to last as long as possible..hahaha:D

later..chatty

Here's the latest I can find from the Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/08/07/carnival_ship_moves_to_mobile_for_a_few_months/

Looks like October is the target for getting back to the Big Easy.

Thank God I'm sailing end of October...we have a flight to NOLA that isn't through Carnival so we can spend a few days there.

JC

We are on the August 18th sailing, and they said that "starting around 10:30 a.m., reps will be there to direct you to the bus.". I didn't hear 9:00. Hmmm... Now I'm going to call again. Just think how much easier it would have been for Carnival to just PUT THIS INFO INTO THEIR MESSAGE TO US!!! Grrrr.... Well, I guess if they don't mind getting thousands of calls asking the same questions... :)

I think Carnival didn't include the info in their message to us b/c they have no idea what they're doing either. I've called customer service several times after first receiving their email and none of the reps knew the Fantasy was going to be sailing out of Mobile for Aug 14. They all told me I was wrong at first but then said I was correct after doing some research. I'm not the smartest man alive but it sounds like common sense to update your employees about an issue like this before notifying all the customers.

Then, I was told just go to baggage claim to board the shuttle. They never mentioned any times or anything.

We're cruising on Fantasy, August 23. Carnival said they'll provide us with a motorcoach from NO airport to the port in Mobile for $47 per person. It's leaving at 11am, 11:30am and 1:00 pm.

That's really interesting that they you were told that there was a fee. I was informed that it was complimentary. Has anyone else heard of this new fee?

We're cruising on Fantasy, August 23. Carnival said they'll provide us with a motorcoach from NO airport to the port in Mobile for $47 per person. It's leaving at 11am, 11:30am and 1:00 pm.

If you are flying in, it is complimentary.

However, if someone is driving in...they should drive to Mobile.

If they want to drive and leave their car at the New Orleans airport for some reason...then I would imagine the $47 fee would apply.

Carnival is only providing complimentary bus rides to those flying in.

I called carnival for the 3rd time today and was told something different each time. ~ We're flighting into NO the day before. This time I was told that the complimentary transfers are for those who booked airfare with cruise, and not independantly. Did anyone else get a similiar response?

I called carnival for the 3rd time today and was told something different each time. ~ We're flighting into NO the day before. This time I was told that the complimentary transfers are for those who booked airfare with cruise, and not independantly. Did anyone else get a similiar response?

Yes, I received that response when I called in for one of my guests' bookings on Friday. I just kept saying that was unacceptable, that I needed to speak to a supervisor, because it's too late to cancel, the airfare is purchased, you can't force them to pay an additional fee - that's raising the price. They said, the letter does not state complimentary, it just says it will be available. Just keep asking for a supervisor ... Carnival is not handling this situation well.

Yes, I received that response when I called in for one of my guests' bookings on Friday. I just kept saying that was unacceptable, that I needed to speak to a supervisor, because it's too late to cancel, the airfare is purchased, you can't force them to pay an additional fee - that's raising the price. They said, the letter does not state complimentary, it just says it will be available. Just keep asking for a supervisor ... Carnival is not handling this situation well.

Carnival does not want people flying into Mobile due to the size of the airport. They specifically said that in their press release. They WANT people to continue to fly into New Orleans. Therefore, there will not be a transportation charge for those who fly into New Orleans.

Carnival's press release says nothing about Carnival Air only.

Carnival Fantasy August 14, August 18, August 23 and September 1 Departures

We will now operate all of these cruises roundtrip from Mobile. If guests were driving to New Orleans, we request they proceed to the cruise terminal in Mobile.

Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

I am certain that Carnival is getting 100's calls every day with every scenerio possible.

And yes, depending on how the scenerio is being presented to the operator (which is the side we don't ever hear) ...there may be some bad information getting out. We are dealing with humans.

The bottom line is that IF someone flies in (Carnival or independent)...2 days ahead or the day of....be at the airport the morning of debarkation....show Carnival the airtickets....give them the luggage and get on the bus.

I agree, LHP, that's how it reads ... but I called to verify for my guest, and they said, if the air wasn't purchased through Carnival, transfers must be paid for. I do not want my guest facing that frustration at the airport, but perhaps the reps at the airport will have their acts together better than the customer service reps on the telephone.

I agree, LHP, that's how it reads ... but I called to verify for my guest, and they said, if the air wasn't purchased through Carnival, transfers must be paid for. I do not want my guest facing that frustration at the airport, but perhaps the reps at the airport will have their acts together better than the customer service reps on the telephone.

If things do not go your guest's way at the airport, tell them to be prepared to throw a foot stompin', throw your body to the ground tantrum. That should embarass the Carnival rep into seeing it your guest's way. Then they just hand their luggage over, hop on the bus at no charge and all's well that ends well. :D

Are your guests flying in a day or two early OR the day of?

Since a lot of people do not fly in the day of any longer (for obvious reasons)...there seems to be some confusion there.

If they are flying a day or two early....then they will be responsible for getting themselves from the airport to the hotel....just like if nothing unusual was going on. AND they will be responsible for getting themselves from the hotel back to the airport (just like they would have had to do when getting off the cruise ship back to the airport if nothing unusual was happening).

There is no additional expense for folks flying in...whether it is 2 days ahead or the day of.

And since there can be untold numbers of scenerios, (and this is obviously NOT a usual situation).... folks are going to get some bad answers. You have to trust that Carnival is going to do what they say they are going to do.

Have your guests keep a copy of the press release in their hands that state a FREE bus ride from the Airport to the Mobile Terminal on the day of Embarkation and back for ALL folks flying in.

Fantasy 08-14-08

My wife and I were plannning on driving to NO on the day of the cruise, but that does mean leaving our house early in the AM to get there by 1:00pm., I am not willing to leave my house at 3:00am to get to Mobile by 1:00pm. So I had to book a room along the way, rearrange business plans to leave on Wednesday instead of Thursday morning and since we will not get back home until late Monday night istead of midafternoon, other business apointments had to be reset. And now I am reading abouit parking problems in Mobile, I should hope not. Carnival's solution "Call Customer Service after the cruise, to voice any complaints" Oh yeah, that will get their attention after we get back. We were not even offered the possibility or cancellation or re-booking.

My guest is taken care of. I was simply responding to the post by AWarner that, yes, this what Carnival is saying. Carnival pointed out to me that the press release doesn't say "free" or "complimentary", it says they'll provide motorcoach transportation for anyone flying into New Orleans. They said it's free only for those who purchased air from Carnival.

My post was simply to confirm what AWarner was saying and to recommend that other guests with a similar situation either contact their travel agent or Carnival, depending on how they booked it, to assure this is complimentary to them. My guest now has shuttle tickets!

My guest is taken care of. I was simply responding to the post by AWarner that, yes, this what Carnival is saying. Carnival pointed out to me that the press release doesn't say "free" or "complimentary", it says they'll provide motorcoach transportation for anyone flying into New Orleans. They said it's free only for those who purchased air from Carnival.

My post was simply to confirm what AWarner was saying and to recommend that other guests with a similar situation either contact their travel agent or Carnival, depending on how they booked it, to assure this is complimentary to them. My guest now has shuttle tickets!

I don't understand -- I just got off of the phone with Carnival and I was told that the complimentary service was for ANYONE who was flying into NO, not just Carnival arranged flights. I was also told there were no "shuttle tickets". I was told to arrive at the baggage claim area with my booking number and flight documents. I don't get this at all.

Archived