NEWS: Carnival Reroutes Fantasy Due to Oil Spill

LauraS

Latest Update

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/NewOrleans_Update2.aspx

Monday, August 11, 2008 – 12:30 PM

Unfortunately, several issues remain for our operation on the Mississippi River and the cruises scheduled to depart from New Orleans. As a result, we will now operate the Carnival Fantasy from Mobile, Alabama for all cruises through, and including the September 1, 2008 departure. The following information will explain our operational plans:

Carnival Fantasy August 9 Departure

This cruise will operate roundtrip from Mobile. The ship will return to Mobile on August 14 and motorcoach transportation will be provided to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Carnival Fantasy August 14, August 18, August 23 and September 1 Departures

We will operate all of these cruises roundtrip from Mobile. If guests were driving to New Orleans, we request they proceed to the cruise terminal in Mobile. Guests may also purchase transfers between New Orleans and Mobile.

Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

We sincerely apologize to all of our guests that are impacted by this situation. The entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience.

Latest Update

Monday, August 11, 2008 – 12:30 PM

Carnival Fantasy August 14, August 18, August 23 and September 1 Departures

We will operate all of these cruises roundtrip from Mobile. If guests were driving to New Orleans, we request they proceed to the cruise terminal in Mobile. Guests may also purchase transfers between New Orleans and Mobile.

Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

We sincerely apologize to all of our guests that are impacted by this situation. The entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience.

Just as I have been saying all along.

I called carnival for the 3rd time today and was told something different each time. ~ We're flighting into NO the day before. This time I was told that the complimentary transfers are for those who booked airfare with cruise, and not independantly. Did anyone else get a similiar response?

Lots of people fly in the day before these days.

Not a problem.

You will be responsible for getting yourself from the airport to the hotel

(just as if nothing had changed). Had none of this happened....you would have been getting yourself from the airport to the hotel anyway. So go, enjoy a night in New Orleans.

You will be responsible for getting yourself from the hotel BACK to the airport the next morning. (just like you would have been responsible for getting a taxi from the NO port back to the NO airport after the cruise... if things were normal.) So again, no additional expense on your part.

The free part will be the transfer from the NO airport to the Mobile terminal and from the Mobile terminal back to the NO airport after the cruise.

To others traveling during this time.....

This is a pain, no doubt about it....but I also have no doubt that Carnival reps are fielding all kinds of "outerspace" scenerios and yes, some are getting it wrong.

But folks...we have to remember that no one (and no company) is perfect.

Carnival is doing the best they can in a bad situation. They are certainly not going to make everyone happy and I can assure you that Carnival would be the first person to wish this whole mess was not happening.

I just think that some folks appear to be trying to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

This is not to Rah Rah about Carnival. My ONLY reason for typing this is to hopefully keep some inexperienced cruisers or newbies from getting stressed out without cause.

I suggest that we keep this the inconvenience that it is (which is bad enough) and not make it anything more than that.

Fantasy 08-14-08

My wife and I were plannning on driving to NO on the day of the cruise, but that does mean leaving our house early in the AM to get there by 1:00pm., I am not willing to leave my house at 3:00am to get to Mobile by 1:00pm. So I had to book a room along the way, rearrange business plans to leave on Wednesday instead of Thursday morning and since we will not get back home until late Monday night istead of midafternoon, other business apointments had to be reset. And now I am reading abouit parking problems in Mobile, I should hope not. Carnival's solution "Call Customer Service after the cruise, to voice any complaints" Oh yeah, that will get their attention after we get back. We were not even offered the possibility or cancellation or re-booking.

Your situation is one of the few where Carnival should "anti up" some extra OBC.

You will have some additional expenses. And though it is not Carnival's fault or your fault..it is a fact. Carnival should help with that because it will be cheaper than renting additional buses to run from the terminal.

Unfortunately, Carnival has no way of knowing who will or will not be affected by this move. Some people from the Mobile surrounding area will get a benefit from this. Others from the West will be penalized if for nothing more than additional fuel (which can be more than inconvenient at $4.00 a gallon).

For folks who do have out of pocket expenses......

Since time to settle it before you cruise is probably not an option, IF there is no OBC when you arrive for your inconvenience....can I suggest you write a well worded letter to Mr. Gerry Cahill? I would not just send on to Guest Relations.

"Well worded" letters have worked in the past. If folks will send a professional letter starting with the positives (which we know there will be) and then say "however, the reason for my letter is......"

Be brief, just the facts of exactly how much additional funds your trip cost.

Don't exaggerate or pass judgments....simply try to write it so that they could put themselves in your position. Keep your expectations realistic.

Carnival is not going to reimburse you for your drive time or loss wages etc.

However, I do not believe that requesting fuel and a reasonable hotel stay is out of line.

Now I am not saying anyone would write a letter that was not professional. I am just saying that if people want a professional corporation to take them seriously...they need to deal with it like business transaction just with the facts.

I do hope that Carnival does the right thing by folks like yourself who are truly spending more to get to Mobile.

The hardest part will be not letting this affect your cruise. So put it out of your mind ....have a great time and then... contact Carnival.

Since I am writing a book here....sorry...

might I also suggest that EVERYONE flying in (day of or a day early....Carnival Air or Independent) make sure you have the information that you are flying in shown that way on your Fun Pass.

Sometimes, when we have flown in a day or two early...I mark "arriving at the pier by taxi" on my Fun Pass instead of marking that we are arriving by air.

I don't know this to be gospel....but I would assume that Carnival is using the Fun Pass information to estimate the number of seats they will need on those buses.

Just a thought....

New update on Carnival site, only thing I see changed is:

"If guests were driving to New Orleans, we request they proceed to the cruise terminal in Mobile. Guests may also purchase transfers between New Orleans and Mobile."

I might call just to see what a transfer would cost and where it would be from. Will post back if I do.

Since I am writing a book here....sorry...

might I also suggest that EVERYONE flying in (day of or a day early....Carnival Air or Independent) make sure you have the information that you are flying in shown that way on your Fun Pass.

Sometimes, when we have flown in a day or two early...I mark "arriving at the pier by taxi" on my Fun Pass instead of marking that we are arriving by air.

I don't know this to be gospel....but I would assume that Carnival is using the Fun Pass information to estimate the number of seats they will need on those buses.

Just a thought....

LHP....I have a TX address, but when I filled out my fun pass, it never asked how I was getting to the boat. All it asked for is my departure information immediately after the cruise. Carnival says they ask for this in case the boat is running late on the way back. Any ideas? I don't think I filled anything out wrong b/c it says my registration is complete. I'll call Carnival again tonight and try to get it sorted out. Thanks.

My guest is taken care of. I was simply responding to the post by AWarner that, yes, this what Carnival is saying. Carnival pointed out to me that the press release doesn't say "free" or "complimentary", it says they'll provide motorcoach transportation for anyone flying into New Orleans. They said it's free only for those who purchased air from Carnival.

My post was simply to confirm what AWarner was saying and to recommend that other guests with a similar situation either contact their travel agent or Carnival, depending on how they booked it, to assure this is complimentary to them. My guest now has shuttle tickets!

Judyjbest.....how'd you get shuttle tickets for your guest? Did you just call Carnival and keep asking for a supervisor? Any suggestions are appreciated as I'm on the Aug 14 cruise and will be flying in the night before. Thank you.

Judyjbest.....how'd you get shuttle tickets for your guest? Did you just call Carnival and keep asking for a supervisor? Any suggestions are appreciated as I'm on the Aug 14 cruise and will be flying in the night before. Thank you.

Yes, I just kept saying that's unacceptable, may I speak to your supervisor? Never got to a supervisor, he just kept putting me on hold, then coming back, but finally said, yes, we'll do it for you.

LHP....I have a TX address, but when I filled out my fun pass, it never asked how I was getting to the boat. All it asked for is my departure information immediately after the cruise. Carnival says they ask for this in case the boat is running late on the way back. Any ideas? I don't think I filled anything out wrong b/c it says my registration is complete. I'll call Carnival again tonight and try to get it sorted out. Thanks.

That is the segment I was talking about. Since folks flying out are also flying in (usually)....I was thinking Carnival "might" be using that info to estimate the number of buses they would need.

The old form had it for "arrival". The new one now says "after". I have been filling them out for so long...I don't even look at the details any more...I just type!! :D

I read in a NO news article where a Coast Guard Captain said that the river is cleaned up enough for the Fantasy to get to the port. He implied that the reason Carnival may not want to continue out of NO is due to a law that requires cruise ships originate and end at the same US port or they are fined $300 per passenger. This means that when Carnival returned to Mobile after sailing from New Orleans due to the oil spill they have only a few options. One, they can originate the next cruise out of Mobile and return to NO in which case they would be fined about $600,000. Two, they could sail an empty ship from Mobile to NO to avoid the fine but ,due to time constraints and the fact they turn around the ship in less than a day, they would have to cancel a cruise. Who knows what that would cost.

http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2008/08/carnival_fantasy_to_remain_in.html (link to news article)

It is cheaper to charter a few busses each way from NO to Mobile than to face the other two options. After the September cruise they are in dry dock and can return to NO to start fresh. Carnival has never said they cannot get to the port in NO. They have said that traffic on the river is slow. Is it slower than a 3 hour bus ride to Mobile?

Just food for thought.

I read in a NO news article where a Coast Guard Captain said that the river is cleaned up enough for the Fantasy to get to the port. He implied that the reason Carnival may not want to continue out of NO is due to a law that requires cruise ships originate and end at the same US port or they are fined $300 per passenger. This means that when Carnival returned to Mobile after sailing from New Orleans due to the oil spill they have only a few options. One, they can originate the next cruise out of Mobile and return to NO in which case they would be fined about $600,000. Two, they could sail an empty ship from Mobile to NO to avoid the fine but ,due to time constraints and the fact they turn around the ship in less than a day, they would have to cancel a cruise. Who knows what that would cost.

http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2008/08/carnival_fantasy_to_remain_in.html (link to news article)

It is cheaper to charter a few busses each way from NO to Mobile than to face the other two options. After the September cruise they are in dry dock and can return to NO to start fresh. Carnival has never said they cannot get to the port in NO. They have said that traffic on the river is slow. Is it slower than a 3 hour bus ride to Mobile?

Just food for thought.

What he is talking about is the Jones Act and as usual...what he is "implying" is false.

Cruise ships are ONLY fined IF they do not have a foreign port BETWEEN US ports.

Leaving from Mobile and going to Cozumel and then going to New Orleans means the Jones Act would not apply.

The bottom line is that (as usual) NO ONE could tell Carnival 100% what was going to happen from day to day. When you are moving 1000's of people, you have to have a lot of notice.

Geezzz...what is it with supposed "officials" giving incorrect information to the press????

Just food for thought.

Yes, very much so. It normally takes about 8 hours as it is. Then add the reduced speed they are required to travel. Then add the time it takes for the Coast Gaurd required hull scubbing because of the oil still in the river. It would probably result in a missed port somewhere along the line and many unhappy pax. I find it interesting that the port of NO is posturing over Carnival moving the Fantasy during this time. Trying to dig up clauses to see if Carnival is in violation of their contract with the port. Sounds like a made for Carnival reason to NOT ever put a second ship in NO. When the dust settles and the oil is skimmed, NOLA may end up without a cruise ship again.

Yes, very much so. It normally takes about 8 hours as it is. Then add the reduced speed they are required to travel. Then add the time it takes for the Coast Gaurd required hull scubbing because of the oil still in the river. It would probably result in a missed port somewhere along the line and many unhappy pax. I find it interesting that the port of NO is posturing over Carnival moving the Fantasy during this time. Trying to dig up clauses to see if Carnival is in violation of their contract with the port. Sounds like a made for Carnival reason to NOT ever put a second ship in NO. When the dust settles and the oil is skimmed, NOLA may end up without a cruise ship again.
I'm sure The powers to be in Mobile would not get "snitty" about darn near anything that a Cruise line would want to do here. We REALLY like our cruise ship(s):D :D :D

RCCL has already left. NCL is only there a few months out of the year.

Carnival is the only cruise line that has returned 24/7 since Katrina. You would think "someone" at the New Orleans port would appreciate that!!

As much as I would love a second ship in New Orleans...I certainly could not blame Carnival if they didn't put a second one there. No one else is doing it full time.

Interesting......I know everyone has work, family, etc. but there hasn't been much talk on this topic today. Yesterday, there was another thread covering this exact same topic that had about an equal amount of pages and today it's gone for some reason. I bookmarked it and now the bookmark leads me nowhere.

Anyway....in that thread, Host Mach, one of the moderators said he/she was emailing their friend at Carnival corporate last night to get a definitive answer on this issue and would let us know asap. Unless I missed it, I don't see the answer. I've heard a lot of different views on the issue and have even been called dumb for not "understanding" Carnival's vague update on their website.

At this point, all I can go by is what customer svc is telling me and that is...the shuttle transfers are only complimentary for those that purchased their flights into N.O. directly from Carnival. If you purchased the flights independently, you must pay $46 for the roundtrip transfer.

Here's a line directly taken from Carnival's latest update on the web....Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it would make me feel a lot better if it said Carnival would provide complimentary transportation....not just will provide. My pvp would not return my call and customer svc told me there was a charge so unfortunately it looks like I'm paying or finding me another way to Mobile. Pretty disappointing but what can I do now.

I do however work for a Fortune 100 company with millions of clients so I'll be sure to pass this feedback on to any interested.

Here's a line directly taken from Carnival's latest update on the web....Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it would make me feel a lot better if it said Carnival would provide complimentary transportation....not just will provide. My pvp would not return my call and customer svc told me there was a charge so unfortunately it looks like I'm paying or finding me another way to Mobile. Pretty disappointing but what can I do now.

I do however work for a Fortune 100 company with millions of clients so I'll be sure to pass this feedback on to any interested.

You are correct....Carnival should have added the word Complimentary for those flying in.

I am "assuming" that since Carnival specifically tells people who are DRIVING that IF they want a transfer they may "purchase one"....that this means those FLYING IN are receiving it complimentary. And Carnival does specifically address Carnival Air AND Independent Air will be treated the same.

I, too, have been wondering WHY Carnival did not add that one little word "complimentary" and personally I think it is because so many people fly in a day or two ahead of the cruise and would have been wanting FREE transportation from the airport to their hotel and then from their hotel back to the airport to catch the FREE transport to Mobile.

That is all I can think of that would cause them to be so vague.

They have been doing this a long time and I guess there is just so much "covering their behinds" that they have to do...because unfortunately with John Q Public today...if you offer a :branch:....they want the whole tree.

Hopefully Host Mach will have the "gospel" soon.

All I can say is that IF I were going on this cruise and flying in (based on what is currently on Carnival's website under New Orleans update)....

I would arrive at the airport...show them my airline ticket...hand them my bags and get on my free ride to Mobile. And if it is around lunch time...I would be expecting a box lunch!!! ;)

I'm leaving this morning and what Carnival group sales told me yesterday that the transfers are complimentary if you are flying in -- even a day before from the hotel only. The $46 fee is for those who are driving and want ground transporation from the NOLA pier to the Mobile pier. She assured me that there was no fee for those who are flying. That said, there is no reason that Carnival could not put in the word complimentary to clarify things.

AND Just as I stated yesterday on the now defunct thread -- Carnival would never permit the moderator (of this board or any other place where they could be quotable) to put their position into writing. I think that it really sucks that the moderator made a committment to address the issue and not only got rid of the thread -- he/she did not even address the issue.

Good luck everyone.

I'm leaving this morning and what Carnival group sales told me yesterday that the transfers are complimentary if you are flying in -- even a day before from the hotel only. The $46 fee is for those who are driving and want ground transporation from the NOLA pier to the Mobile pier. She assured me that there was no fee for those who are flying. That said, there is no reason that Carnival could not put in the word complimentary to clarify things.

AND Just as I stated yesterday on the now defunct thread -- Carnival would never permit the moderator (of this board or any other place where they could be quotable) to put their position into writing. I think that it really sucks that the moderator made a committment to address the issue and not only got rid of the thread -- he/she did not even address the issue.

Good luck everyone.

You're assumption is that it was Mach who killed the thread. If you look at the bottom of the thread list page, you will see that Mach doesn't even moderate this board.

Good luck everyone.

Cheetah:

Your post is still on these boards. It is on page 5. Because these boards are so active...posts move to the back pages quickly. Yours is still there because you asked a question....

Jersey's was removed (I am assuming) because he posted "Carnival is charging" as FACT....when we did not know this to be correct. At the time, Carnival's website (under New Orleans) was still posting that "Carnival would provide" transportation for those flying in.

I am sure the removal of that thread was simply to prevent any more misinformation from being spread.

Cruise Critic left this sticky here to help give out correct information.

Have a great cruise!!!

Archived