NEWS: Carnival Reroutes Fantasy Due to Oil Spill

LauraS

I just got that same email from Carnival today at 5 pm. My fiancee and I are set to sail on the August 14th cruise. It's her 1st cruise and only my 2nd so this is rather disappointing.

What makes matters worse, is that Carnival expects us to drive to Mobile....at our own expense. They are only offering the shuttle buses if you are flying into New Orleans airport. It will end up costing us around $110 for the roundtrip drive and parking. I called customer svc tonight and they will not offer us any onboard credit or any other transportation. The only thing I can do is cancel for a full refund up until 5 tomorrow. :mad:

I assume from your screen name that you are driving from San Antonio?? Why dont you see if you can park at the New Orleans airport and then take Carnival's bus? If you park at Park-n-Fly, it is around $7 per day. This way you would save $35.

Dave

We're not quite sure what we are going to do now, either. We finally decided to come down on Sunday night, but stay until Sunday so that we could see New Orleans ALL DAY on Saturday. That was the reason for the extra night of hotel, AND the much higher cost to fly back on Sunday versus Saturday. I know that we are the "Lucky Ones" since we were flying and not driving, but this puts quite a dent in our vacation time and fund. But, I guess we should be grateful that we are cruising at all, and getting to see New Orleans, even just for a little while.

(But I think I will still call Carnival and express our hope for some kind of on board credit and the hope that they will also do _something_ for the drivers in addition to the airplane-ers.)

I just talked to Carnival. They told me that they will have Carnival reps at the airport in the luggage areas starting at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, who will direct us to the bus. On Saturday, they will probably leave to go back to the New Orleans airport around 10:00 a.m., since they say it takes 2 hours to get everyone off the ship.

Not happy about this situation...

My girlfriend and I are on the Sept 1st cruise and my parents were going to drop us off at the terminal and pick us up after the cruise. So I wasn't even planing on paying for parking.

Now I have to drive all the way to mobile, pay to park my car, and drive all the way back. This is rediculous.

I just spoke to Carnival, and yes there are the shuttles from the New Orleans airport, but they wouldn't even let us get on those. I live literally two minutes from the New Orleans airport... They're not offering any discounts or rebates or anything, just the 24 hours to cancel for a full refund. Well we already planned out the cruise and both took the week off work + dogsitters and babysitters so we're not going to cancel, but still pissed off this cruise is going to cost me an extra 4 hours of driving + $$ for gas and parking...

Do we think that the Fantasy will return to NOLA after dry dock? I thought the mess was cleaned up last weekend and everything was open per the Port of NOLA?

The sunken barge continues to leak oil into the river as salvage operations continue. Some shipping on the river has resumed at a reduced speed. Those ships that have attempted it have reported the need to clean lots of oil from their hulls. Having said all of that, I can understand the disappointments associated with all of this, however it is no more Carnival's fault than it is the passengers'. S--t happens! Look at it this way; another Katrina would likely have eliminated your vacation alltogether. By comparison, this is a minor inconvenience.

We are on the Aug 9 cruise and a rep from CCL told us that we could go straight to Mobile since we are driving. From Little Rock it is about the same distance.

I agree, this is not CCL's fault. They have the right to adjust the itineray and not compensate us. That goes for the departure port. Even though we are on one that is impacted, it doesn't sting us as bad as others so I guess it's all relative.

Hi all,

Ok -- I'm totally pissed with Carnival. We're flying in from Chicago on 8/13 of our cruise on 8/14. We had to fly in the day before as we could not get a flight the day of the cruise that we could be totally sure would get us to the PIER in NO on time without leaving in the middle of the night or paying crazy fees. We bought the flight two months ago. The rest of my family is driving into NO and staying at a hotel to be close to the pier and the quarter for family time.

Yesterday we got the letter and uninformative voice mail regarding the change to Mobile. I called LAST WEEK and asked if there would be changes for ground transfers and was insured that the transfers would be complimentary. of course today it's only for the people flying in from the airport. So now we have to pay to go to the airport when we arrive on 8/13 and pay to go back on 8/14 to catch the bus. Our family is now scrambling to find hotels in Mobile.

Today I called and asked for SPECIFIC information about when buses were leaving, the frequency of the buses and the manner in which the disembarkment will occur for the busses. Specifically I don't want to spend all day at the airport in NO or at the pier in Mobile waiting for a bus. I waited on hold for over an hour for the same non-specific letter on their website. I still don't have any answers.

Additionally, I asked why people on the 8/14 sailing were give less than 7 biz days to change plans but are receiving significantly different services for transport than other customers in the EXACT SAME SITUATION.

This is my first cruise and it will be my ABSOLUTELY LAST cruise with Carnival. It's not their fault that the Mississippi is screwed up, but it is their fault that they have had inconsistent and ill-planned plans for this ground transfer. Additionally, the attitude that they have presented to me is that they are "doing me a favor" in providing me the opportunity to ride on their bus. There is no information regarding if paperwork should be provided to prove that you are flying in or that there is even a seat reserved for you on one of the vaguely scheduled "several busses".

I was forced to be our group planner person because the original person cancelled and I have had several other non-productive, unfriendly and misinformed conversations with carnival's group cruise department. I would never have chosen Carnival to cruise on because of the rumors that I heard before about lacking customer service. I'm stuck with this vacation because I have given my word to my family and want to spend time with them. We travel frequently for vacations and I have never not looked forward to a vacation as much as I have this piece of junk that I have had the misfortune of helping to plan. So, now off I go to find a hotel by the airport in NO to prevent a $40 cab ride back to our originally booked hotel by the pier. I can look forward to a disorganized mess from Carnival in the "baggage claim area" to get on the bus to the cruise.

I know that I'll be flamed from people who totally love Carnival. Carnival treats its customers like this because they know that there will be plenty of people to buy their "low" priced package. In my opinion you get what you pay for and Carnival's prices reflect the flashy but poorly organized, mass-market, piece of crap of business that it is.

End of rant

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually flying into N.O. Wednesday night but the rest of my party lives around the N.O. area. We're going to look into it, but not sure if my whole party would qualify for the shuttle bus. Carnival told me yesterday that the buses will not be for people that drive on Aug 14th.

I know the oil spill is not their fault, but why do they offer the buses for some people and certain cruises but then not for others.

I'm not positive but someone said in another thread that they called carnival and they said that they could board the bus in New orleans even if they were not flying.

Actually this is incorrect information. Carnival is only providing ground transportation to people who are flying into new orleans per the e-mail I received today and their website.

Actually this is incorrect information. Carnival is only providing ground transportation to people who are flying into new orleans per the e-mail I received today and their website.

You fly to New Orleans...your family drives to Mobile....Carnival buses you to Mobile. You meet up on the cruise ship.

I would imagine you will have to show Carnival your airline tickets. You give them your luggage...show them your tickets ... get on the bus.

An inconvenience, of course, difficult...I don't see it.

I am sorry your precruise family time was eliminated...but that isn't Carnival's fault.

It would be silly for Carnival to pay for 25 additional buses to transport people who can simply drive to the port in the first place.

No solution is going to be a perfect fit for everyone. If you start eliminating entire cruise lines because of one thing that goes wrong...I assure you, you will soon have no cruise lines on which to travel.

There is a good chance they will not ask for airline tickets. You can always try - I would bet you have a 75% chance of getting on the bus at the airport if you are not coming from a flight and can provide proof you are on the cruise. Just be prepared for the 25% they decide to deny you.

Also thought this was interesting from the article link posted above- you would think under the situation they could get a waiver or something...

But LaGrange said he thinks a larger issue for the cruise line is the penalty they would face for disembarking a ship in New Orleans that embarked in Mobile. Under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886, a foreign-flagged vessel that transports passengers between U.S. ports is fined $300 per passenger. If the current Carnival voyage were to return to New Orleans instead of Mobile, it would cost the company more than $600,000. To avoid the penalty, the cruise line would have to cancel a cruise and steer an empty vessel from Mobile to New Orleans to sail the following week. Carnival has not said that the act is an issue.

Lastly, if getting picked up in Mobile at end of cruise what time should I get picked up?

This is kind of how the Conquest ended up in Galveston. It started in NOLA but the hurricane forced it to move to Galveston. Then when the NOLA terminal was completed, Carnival just didn't move a 7 day back there. I would say there's a good chance Fantasy will stay in Mobile if this lasts any longer, and NOLA may not get ANY Carnival ships to come back after this.

According to what they told me they won't allow you on the bus unless you flew in. They said there were limited slots like they're planning the number of busses based on how many fliers they have. Ofcourse this could have been lies to keep me from hopping on the bus but who knows.

When you filled out your "fun pass" on line YOU told them your pre & post cruise travel plans. Based on the information YOU provided, they then know how many people to expect at the airport ON THE CRUSE DEPARTURE DATE and have made arrangements for that many passengers to depart the airport on the buses. Same goes for the return to the New Orleans airport on the return date of the cruise. Sorry about that.

When you filled out your "fun pass" on line YOU told them your pre & post cruise travel plans. Based on the information YOU provided, they then know how many people to expect at the airport ON THE CRUSE DEPARTURE DATE and have made arrangements for that many passengers to depart the airport on the buses. Same goes for the return to the New Orleans airport on the return date of the cruise. Sorry about that.

I filled out my fun pass online but it never asked about my pre-cruise plans, only my post-cruise plans. Did I miss something? It said my registration was complete. I'm flying in the night before the cruise so I'm hoping there's no issues with me boarding a shuttle.

I filled out my fun pass online but it never asked about my pre-cruise plans, only my post-cruise plans. Did I miss something? It said my registration was complete. I'm flying in the night before the cruise so I'm hoping there's no issues with me boarding a shuttle.

I got to thinking about this to san anto guy. We are driving down but staying at a hotel with a shuttle. Does this mean we are not going to have a ride back to the hotel. Or should i change it on fun pass??

Has any one heard what the parking plans will be in Mobile?

What do you do with 3,000 cars and only 1,300 parking spaces????

I understand Carnival has some planned parking, but where?

Now, I am starting to get nervous about my October 27 cruise. I would love to cruise from Mobile but sure want to know where the car will be parked.

But, I am sure they will be back in NOLA by my cruise, but the folks on the ship this week thought the same thing.

They have secured 350 additional spaces at the Riverview Plaza on down Water street, it is only going to cost $12.00 per day instead of the normal $15.00, they are going to be shuttleing to the terminal. Also said they are working on getting more overflow parking downtown...

They said that they will need about 700 total spaces for the Fantasy. 350 will be at the Riverview garage. About 100 will be at the terminal. That leaves about 250 spaces and my guess will be the Civic Center and they'll just have to put some 24hr security there as there is usually no overnight parking allowed. Either there, or the convention center which has the parking garage under it. All are walking distance to the terminal and they'll just put some shuttle buses into play. Not a huge problem I'm sure.

So it sounds like we will need to go to the terminal and be directed from there.

Do you think that we will be able to drop off luggage at the terminal or will we have to haul it on the shuttle?

I read somewhere that you will drop your luggage at the terminal and then park where they direct you to. Then you will return to the terminal on a shuttle.

Archived