NEWS: Carnival Reroutes Fantasy Due to Oil Spill

LauraS

Well, I guess that blows out the theory the Holiday is the only ship that can negotiate the Mobile channel.

I thought the same thing!!! I hate this happened for the people on the Fantasy, but at the same time, I think it is great for people wanting to sail from Mobile. The Holiday has served it's time.

I live in Birmingham Alabama and just heard on the news that the Fantasy would be coming back into Mobile from this cruise. That the port at New Orleans would not be open. They told how much money New Orleans was loosing everyday the port was closed, a bunch.

According to this morning's New Orleans newspaper, the FANTASY will return to New Orleans on Thursday morning.

Ya just might wanna check your source again. The Fantasy is scheduled to dock in Mobile Thursday morning.

My first post was timed at 9:06AM and at that time it was correct. About 11:00 AM ANOTHER oil spill occured. Late afternoon yesterday, Carnival made the decision to dirvert the FANTASY, again, to Mobile. The next post was at 9:44 PM. My sources called me at 9:30PM to inform me of the change for today. Yes, 12 hours make a BIG difference.

My first post was timed at 9:06AM and at that time it was correct. About 11:00 AM ANOTHER oil spill occured. Late afternoon yesterday, Carnival made the decision to dirvert the FANTASY, again, to Mobile. The next post was at 9:44 PM. My sources called me at 9:30PM to inform me of the change for today. Yes, 12 hours make a BIG difference.

Hope things so well for you today and that things get back to normal SOON!!

Robert:

We are coming to see you on October 9th!! And I don't care if you are standing the terminal or in front of a bus...just get me on that ship!!! ;)

Robert:

We are coming to see you on October 9th!! And I don't care if you are standing the terminal or in front of a bus...just get me on that ship!!! ;)

And I will be seeing him Nov 1st. We will have a NCL diehard with us on their first Carnival cruise.

Dave

This morning's paper said that we get to "do it again". Yes, the FANTASY is going to Mobile on Monday, AGAIN. Of course this "could" change. WHo knows?

One couple, plus two friends, on Thursday were NOT notified of the change to Mobile. They got up early and drove to New Orleans, FROM Mobile, to get on a bus and ride back to within 5 miles of their home. They were NOT happy cruisers. Now on Monday they get to get OFF the ship, ride a bus back to New Orleans to get their car and drive home. I hope only one of them does this and the others take a taxie home.

This morning's paper said that we get to "do it again". Yes, the FANTASY is going to Mobile on Monday, AGAIN. Of course this "could" change. WHo knows?

One couple, plus two friends, on Thursday were NOT notified of the change to Mobile. They got up early and drove to New Orleans, FROM Mobile, to get on a bus and ride back to within 5 miles of their home. They were NOT happy cruisers. Now on Monday they get to get OFF the ship, ride a bus back to New Orleans to get their car and drive home. I hope only one of them does this and the others take a taxie home.

I hate to sound like I am demeaning the "victim" (not my intention)...but I have to ask...how does someone "not" know about this, especially if they live in Mobile??

so, How LONG is this going to be going on? We are sailing on the Fantasy on the 18th and I am certainly hoping we don't have to fly to NOLA just to take a bus to Altlanta. Is there any time frame? Thanks :confused:

In the worst case scenario you won't be going anywhere near Atlanta. It's a 2 hour bus ride from New Orleans to Mobile. How long this continues is a function of how long it takes to clean up the Mississippi River oil spill.

Mobile again..

Carnival Fantasy August 4 and August 9 Departures

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 – 2:00 PM

Unfortunately, the operational situation in the Mississippi River remains very volatile at this time and there is the possibility of additional river closures at any time. As a result, we will divert the Carnival Fantasy to Mobile, Alabama on August 9, 2008.

Guests debarking the ship on August 9 will be provided motorcoach transportation from Mobile to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Guests scheduled to embark on August 9 should proceed to the cruise terminal in New Orleans as planned. Motorcoach transportation will be provided from the New Orleans cruise terminal to the Mobile cruise terminal.

Unless being dropped off, it is very important that guests not drive to Mobile to join the cruise. At the end of the cruise, the ship may return to New Orleans.

We sincerely apologize to all of our guests that are impacted by this situation. The entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience.

On Carnival's site:

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 – 5:00 PM

Unfortunately, the operational situation in the Mississippi River remains very volatile at this time and there is the possibility of additional river closures at any time. As a result, we will divert the Carnival Fantasy to Mobile, Alabama on August 9, 2008.

The following information will explain our operational plans for the Carnival Fantasy:

Guests debarking the ship on August 9 will be provided motorcoach transportation from Mobile to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Guests scheduled to embark on August 9 should proceed to the cruise terminal in New Orleans as planned. Motorcoach transportation will be provided from the New Orleans cruise terminal to the Mobile cruise terminal. This cruise will return to Mobile on August 14 and motorcoach transportation will be provided to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Carnival Fantasy August 14, August 18, August 23 and September 1 Departures

We will now operate all of these cruises roundtrip from Mobile. If guests were driving to New Orleans, we request they proceed to the cruise terminal in Mobile.

Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

We sincerely apologize to all of our guests that are impacted by this situation. The entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/NewOrleans_Update2.aspx

[B]Carnival Fantasy Departures[/b]

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 – 5:00 PM

The following information will explain our operational plans for the Carnival Fantasy:

Guests scheduled to embark on August 9 should proceed to the cruise terminal in New Orleans as planned. Motorcoach transportation will be provided from the New Orleans cruise terminal to the Mobile cruise terminal. This cruise will return to Mobile on August 14 and motorcoach transportation will be provided to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Carnival Fantasy August 14, August 18, August 23 and September 1 Departures

We will now operate all of these cruises roundtrip from Mobile. If guests were driving to New Orleans, we request they proceed to the cruise terminal in Mobile.

Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

This is getting drawn out longer and longer. Now they want as many as can proceed directly to Mobile, to do so starting with the cruise that departs 8/14.

I just got that same email from Carnival today at 5 pm. My fiancee and I are set to sail on the August 14th cruise. It's her 1st cruise and only my 2nd so this is rather disappointing.

What makes matters worse, is that Carnival expects us to drive to Mobile....at our own expense. They are only offering the shuttle buses if you are flying into New Orleans airport. It will end up costing us around $110 for the roundtrip drive and parking. I called customer svc tonight and they will not offer us any onboard credit or any other transportation. The only thing I can do is cancel for a full refund up until 5 tomorrow. :mad:

I wonder when the buses go from the airport. Are there going to be multiple busses, and they'll just leave when they fill up throughout the day? You'd think that they would have been a bit more clear with their letter, considering that this will prompt 4,000 calls to them to ask questions!

We are leaving August 9. We are driving from Little Rock, AR so we are not that worried about which we leave from, N'Awlins or Mobile. We would just rather go ahead and drive to Mobile in our own vehicle than being bussed. I actually don't understand why they want the Aug 9 cruise to drive to N'Awlins to be bussed to Mobile and then it states it will come back to Mobile and we will be bussed back to N'Awlins. Only those being dropped off should proceed to Mobile. It says Aug 9 will embark and disembark at Mobile.

What am I missing?

Ali McG

Archived