holland america 10 night sea of cortez on ryndam

If you're adventurous and can handle a looong day of buses and trains, punctuated by some great scenery and a glimpse of another culture, you might want to look into the Copper Canyon excursion. We're glad we did. We're in our early sixties and can walk anywhere. We were tired after the long day but exhilarated.

On a more tame level, I enjoyed the Artisans Tour of La Paz very much. It was just a couple of hours or so, and we visited a weaving studio, a real market and, best of all, a fabulous pottery studio. If you like inexpensive and unique souvenirs, check out the pottery jewelry, which is a great buy. Wish I'd had more time to select several earrings and necklaces at about $6 each. The bus ride to and from the ship is interesting, too.

My husband liked his SCUBA outing in La Paz, and our friends, more used to the heat than we are, went on a beach horseback ride with Randy's Happy Horses -- in Mazatlan, I think. They also raved about a shrimp feast somewhere. I was too hot to enjoy Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas very much. We were there during the first week of November 2007, by the way. Living in the Pacific NW for 30 years has acclimated me (and DH, to a lesser degree) to much cooler weather.

We did this cruise last February. We also went on the Copper Canyon excursion. It was a very long day, but we felt it was well worth the time and money. We went on a walking tour of Loreto. I would say you could skip that excursion. Not really that interesting, and the thing that made me angry was that while we paid for the excursion, other people from the Ryndam just wandered into the group and were never questioned by the tour guide. In Cabo we did a whale watch. While we did see whales and had an enjoyable time, we felt that the boat used was not conducive to this activity. We were lucky because we got seats outside. There were many people who were forced to sit inside because there was not enough outside seating for everyone. I would say that if you wanted to do a whale watch, wait until you get to Cabo and make arrangements on the dock. There were plenty of independent tours being offered, and from what we could see, the vessels were better suited for whale watching. In Puerto Vallarta, we just got a taxi downtown and walked around on our own a bit. In La Paz we took the complimentary shuttle into the downtown area. We did our own walking tour using a brochure we had picked up. We didn't do too much in Mazatlan. Went to the craft market right near the ship and enjoyed the rest of the day on the Ryndam. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Little Miss! Lucky you to be taking my favorite cruise. :) We loved the Copper Canyon...sit on the right side of the train and don't fall asleep. The train ride was spectacular. The actual canyon/lunch was ok. It was a long day, but we are glad we went( we were in our late 50's when we went.)

In Cabo we have been to Todos Santos..interesting to see the Baja Peninsula. Sail and snorkel to Santa Maria Cove was fantastic.

In Loreto we have taken snorkel at Coronados island twice...beautiful white sand beach. You can easily do your own walking tour. Loreto is a delightful laid back fishing town. Charming!

In Mazatlan we have been to Deer Island to kayak (beautiful, but that is where we discovered we were mismatched for kayaking and capsized! :eek: ) I took the Old Mazatlan Walking Tour and found it fascinating...saw old Mazatlan that most will never see. I would recommend this! We have taken Concordia and Copala, which was excellent, except for the final stop at the Golden Zone for shopping..a waste of tour time. Last December we took Estuaries and Bird Watching...relaxing and different. Bring a jacket for the tractor ride along the beach, it was really chilly.

In Puerto Vallarta we have taken over views, town country and tequila and just taken a cab in on our own. If the ship is in port late I recommend Rythyms of the Night...one of the best excursions we have ever been on!:D

In La Paz it is very easy to walk on your own. I have taken Balandra Bay Snorkel which was worthwhile.

I hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise.

Karen

Archived