Tell me about the condition of the Galaxy?

Brahmama

We have 2 cruises booked on her for 2005. On one of the other boards there is a discussion going on about her condition. I was really hoping to hear from someone who has actually SAILED on her lately, not just rumours. I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Carol

First, I have to give you a :mad: for taking the Galaxy down to Texas.;)

I guess the Galaxy is starting to show her age. There are very subtle signs of age all around the ship. The hot tub looks a little dirty due to wear, some of the carpeting is beginning to fray around the edge, the theatre's seats are a little dirty, and the sports equipment/area could use an overhaul.

Having said that, you really have to look to find signs of age. I, unlike many others, enjoyed Galaxy's decor and found it's layout to be great. You'll like the ship. And if by some slim chance you don't, feel free to send it back up to Baltimore anytime.:D :p :p

-Rich

I sailed on Galaxy in September - her last European jaunt for the year. I found her clean and graceful. Sure, some parts of her are a little frayed but nothing more than you would expect from a nine year old ship.

How she has been looked after is a credit to all who work on her. I think it all adds to her character. Why does everything have to be totally modern? Some of the most graceful buildings in the world have old furnishings which show their age but that add to the image. Keep her clean and tidy, repair breakages and safety issues, clean the furnishings on an on-going basis and we will continue to have a great ship.

Hi Carol,

I was on the Galaxy on the Sept 27 to Oct 8 Canada/New England run, and was actually quite impressed with her condition. I've sailed her 4 times now, and she showed more signs of Celebrity's constant maintenance than I've ever noted in the past. It appears they've spent considerable time chipping and painting in exterior areas, the buffet had new carpeting throughout, and the deck crew was continuing what seems to be their endless routine of renewing the varnish on the railings. I also noticed they seemed to spend more time cleaning the outside deck surfaces, and had the window washer running while underway.

The new carpet in the buffet did shows some signs of inexpert installation though, which rough edges and overcuts/stretching along some walls and dividers. Fortunately this mainly seemed to be overcuts, and could be corrected by the ship's staff over time, or it may simply be that they plan to install cove moulding and haven't done so yet.

The ship does show some signs of age of course, but none that in away seemed to cause most folks distress. One continual problem I've noted in all 4 cabin's I've had is a discoloration of the surface of the bathroom sinks and countertops, but it's clear this is a discoloration, and not lack of cleaning.

One thing I've noticed though, is that Galaxy's style uses strong geometric elements and contrasting colors in much of her fabrics and surfaces, and it may be that it is more likely some may notice staining/discoloration than they might in more subdued decors.

One last note on how Galaxy's crew seems obsessed with constant cleaning: The stairs in the main stairwells are an open design, with carpeting on both the top and bottom of the stair treads. One evening I was walking the back stairwell, and noticed a crew member carefully cleaning the underside of each stair tread, using a long handled brush!

I think you'll be very pleased with the Galaxy and absolutely delighted with her staff. If not, please feel free to send her back north, as I just last night waited on the shore of the upper bay for 3 hours, to watch her sail under the Key Bridge for what appears to be the final time. We'll miss her here in Baltimore, and I personally will miss the fine crew that has kept me coming back to cruise on her time and time again.

Dave

Just returned from Galaxy on Oct,18th. we too noticed some stained rugs and furniture, but there is no question that the ship is clean ! they practically sterilize her every day!! also we sailed Galaxy 2 years ago and I can tell you that they have really stepped up there service. the staff and crew were fabulous. I can't imagine anyone doing it any better. We were wowed this time. truly you will be treated famously! We wish Galaxy would remain in Baltimore we have grown quite fond of her.

Hi Carol! We've been on Galaxy 5 times (4 Caribbeans & Transatlantic out of Baltimore -- last time was May 2004 on the Transatlantic from Baltimore to Europe). The Mediterranean cruise we're on in 2005 will be the 6th time. I just love her so and like most everyone else who responded, I'm also very saddened to see her leave Baltimore. You all better treat her well in Texas! The posts described her well. You'll probably see some wear, but not real noticeable because she is keep so clean. We've also been on the Millennium and as you know the Constellation. Constellation is the nicest objectively speaking, but I still have such a fondness for Galaxy. There's things I like better about the Millennium-class ships and things I like better about Galaxy. You'll enjoy her. Kathy

I would agree that the crew was constantally cleaning. Saw it constantly.

Came off the recent New England cruise.

However, yes, furniture upholstery is worn/dirty and it shows and could use a good shampoo job. Several lounge chairs in the Oasis Pool area were broken. What really disgusted me was at least one-quarter of the window panes in the Stratosphere Lounge had broken seals, causing the windows to cloud up and therefore were useless for looking through. The whole purpose of that Lounge is for observing. The two brass binoculars and the two monoculars mounted in the Lounge were in very bad shape. One was flopping around on its mount, barely held on by one screw.

You could see a lot of rust & chipped-off paint when the lifeboat arms extended during tender operations.

A number of the public restrooms need help/maintenance.

BTW - does anyone know who the swimming pool in the bow is meant for?

Missabby -

As I have been told, that small area in the bow is the only outside area open to the crew in general while passengers are onboard. I've seldom seem the small pool there filled, and haven't seen many crew members out there on most cruise, though there always seems to be a few as the ship departs a port.

Given that most of the crew is not allowed on the main decks while off-duty, I'd think this small area would be more utilized, but with their work schedules, they might be spending any off-time sleeping!

Dave

Carol, we loved Galaxy too and are set to return in three weeks. What has been said on this thread has expressed it all for me. Not brand spanking new, but spotlessly clean and well cared for. My house isn't brand spanking new inside. It has a lived in feel that makes me feel comfortable. That's how I would describe my feelings about Galaxy. Now if I could just get one of those crew to come and clean for me on a regular basis.................:)

Phil

These were the comments that I was hoping to hear from people who have sailed on her and not those who just sit around and speculate about the ships and their conditions. You'd be surprised how many very vocal people sail very little, if at all.

Phil, I can identify with that completely! And since I'm a bit worn and ragged around the ages, that's ok with me too. But I do want CLEAN! And it sounds that clean She is.

Don't get me wrong - I'm going no matter what - but I like to know the situations ahead of time. It is only our 3rd ship on Celebrity but we have cruised a lot on many different lines.

And one of the very best cruises was out of New Orleans, on a defunct cruiseline in an old, used up ship, that was kept meticulously clean. We loved the whole thing. It was what you would call a "happy ship". After some other cruises we decided that it works top-down. You know, if the Captain is happy, the crew is happy and if the crew is happy, the people are happy.

Our last cruise on the Constellation we had that sort of a ship. The Captain referred to his staff as "family" and he meant it. I've never been on a ship with so much eye contact and smiling from the staff - all levels.

Sounds like the Galaxy is this kind of a ship too.

Thanks to all of you for posting and Kathy, I was delighted to hear of all your previous cruises on the Galaxy! Now if we can get our thread of 5/23 as active as this one, we will be in business.

Happy Travels!

Carol

Celebrity is always looking at these boards. Over the years, it's amazing how many critical comments have led to changes/improvements quite quickly. I'm sure they will be looking at all these threads on the Galaxy's condition and get working on them quickly. I do hope they fix those windows in the Stratosphere lounge before our Med cruise next September. We were on the Galaxy a few years ago and really enjoyed it and can't wait to get on her again!

I enjoyed reading all these comments. We sail on the Galaxy 11/13 and I am so looking forward to it. It's our first Celebrity cruise and our first cruise over 7 nights. We booked this way back in February so we've had a lot of 'anticipation' time. We live in MS so we will be driving over the day before and staying at the Harbor House...booked that in February too.

We try to sail from ports we can drive to which (except for Alaska) are NO and Galveston/Houston. Mobile would be close too but ships using that port are very sporadic. We were happy to learn of the Galaxy and Grand Princess coming to Galveston.

We will treat the Galaxy with TLC and look forward to seeing all our fellow cruisers on the 13th!!!

We will be on the Galaxy 11/25. We are flying in from Jackson, MS. PLEASE post a review as soon as you can - don;t guess we might get to see it though before WE leave. Would love to correspond with you - email me! We are early 50's and live in Clinton, MS. This will be our first X cruise and first cruise to the canal. We are really looking forward to Celebrity!

Phil:

Back on her in 3 weeks? Got one of those big steamer trunks to smuggle me onboard? I've been looking at the Galveston runs, but haven't found one yet I can schedule well. I've got friends who live not too far from Galveston, so would be a neat trip.

As I said, I went down to a local park near the Key Bridge and watched her sail Monday evening. Waited 3 hours, as the info on the Celebrity site was a bit off, it seems. Pics aren't the greatest, due to the dark skies, strong lights from port and ship, and the general haze found often in that area from the local industry, but wanted to capture her one more time....

http://www.davehau.com/gal/sep04/depart.htm

She's in great shape, Phil, enjoy!

Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the pic link. It must have been a bit sad for you to see her pass under that bridge for the last time (although who knows what the future may hold).

I'd be happy to put you in a steamer trunk, but British Airways are somewhat particular about weight limits and without wishing to be rude to you, the weight excess cost would be more than the flight!;) :D

I hope you manage a trip out of Galveston and am glad that were able to do the New England trip. I'll do a review when I'm back.

Hope you are keeping well.

Phil

Can bring the trunk over the pond empty, Phil, I'll meet you in Texas ;)

The Cruise Director on the Canada/New England run said several times he believes there's a good chance that Galaxy or another Celebrity boat may return to Baltimore, particularly if those of us in the area make it clear to the folks in Miami that we will cruise Celebrity out of Baltimore. Guess I'll become Jack William's new pen-pal.

The main sticking point seems to be that blasted shed the city/state refuses to replace with a real terminal. After losing a lot of cruises for the coming year, there's hope however that our politicians may wake up!

Enjoy the Canal,

Dave

Dave, thanks...what a beautiful photo.

Debbie, I'm trying to figure a way to get a review to you since we will cross paths on the 25th. Hmmm, what if I leave an evelope for you at the Pursers Desk that morning, addressed to Debbie from Clinton MS? Surely they won't mind and can keep track of it for just a few hours. I can at least point out any 'must see or do's' and other info that will help you to know in advance. By George, I'll do it!, if that's okay with you. By the way, we live in Gulfport and have lived here only less than a year via NY, TX, AR and, now, MS. We are in our early 60's and retired.

And Phil, I clicked on that web address above to register but I ended up on a thread page with no where to go. I know it's probably me, I am not the most computer literate person out here. Is there another way to get to it? I also found the Celebrity roll call page but the Galaxy for our date wasn't on page one and there was no shift bar at the bottom of the page that would let me scroll over and go to the next page(s). I would register and go in a 'NY minute' but I would have to say that my dear husband might be a problem. Once in a setting with new folks he is very friendly and talkative, but getting him there is another story!! Oh, well, I can but try.

Hi cod. OK, here is the link to register for the party:

https://www.celebrity.com/cruisecritic/entry.asp?

And this is the link to our Roll Call thread for this trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2257054#post2257054

I understand if hubby is a bit unsure of joining in the party, but we are a fun group and you won't feel out of it, for certain. Come and join in the chatter on our thread anyway.

Phil

The Galaxy sounds grand! Can't wait to step onboard which won't be long as Hubby & I & another couple are among the first group privileged to sail Nov. 1. We've been on Century & Mercury & can't wait to see their sister!

Dave, I hope that trunk fits into a closet as both you & I can hide out in there! I've already warned Phil that if I can ever find out where his cabin is I'll be hiding in there when he boards on the 13th as I'm supposed to disembark then. Poor Phil!!!!!!

I am going to try very hard to post some "live" posts from the Galaxy's internet cafe IF the computers will work this time! I was able to do this from the Summit a couple of years ago & it was alot of fun. Unfortunately, last year from the Mercury the internet didn't work very well or at least I didn't get to them when the internet was working. I promise I'll try very hard this time to make it work!

Carol

Carol, that would be great if you could post something on board and let us know how you are getting on.:) Time is fast approaching and I can't wait to catch Galaxy on the Galveston webcam. If you get a chance to post, you can give us a wave from the Galaxy labcam too!

This trunk I'm bringing is getting larger and larger!:eek: ;) I am going to need a passportout at this rate!

Phil

Archived